Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever seen this tin poster with 1936 prototypes?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1960Turkis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Ever seen this tin poster with 1936 prototypes? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

A while ago I bought a tin poster, showing a nice picture of 3 prototypes and some people around them. It is saying 1936.

Sorry for the bad pics.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I do not think it is verry special, but just liked it. I am suprised I can't find anything about them on the internet. I just found one (deleted) add here on TheSamba. (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1203752) Thats all I can find.... No info anywhere. This guy was asking $475 by the way.

So my question is if anybody knows something about this plate? How old they are for example. And who are these three man?

Just curious Smile Thanks for your thoughts.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's one of a series of vw-themed paintings made by german automotive artist Walter Gotschke. IIRC in the series there is this one, another one depicting the wolfsburg factory during the british administration, a street scene in stuttgart in the 50s and a dune buggy on a US highway in the 60s. I remember seeing all of them in the book "VW Beetle - an illustrated hystory" by Nikolaus Reichert and Hans Joachim Klersy.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
1960Turkis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your answer! That is some nice info.

I had a search for the work of Walter Gotschke, and saw some nice pictures. For the interested ones; here are the other VW-related paintings referred to:

1946 Wolfsburg By Walter Gotschke

Beetles In the USA New York By Walter Gotschke

Traffic As Usual In The Königstrasse Stuttgart Germany By Walter Gotschke

And the one I have:

Ferdinand Porsche Surrounded By His Employees In The Yard Of The Porsche Villa In Stuttgart. The Experimental Beetles Are V1 And V2 (Left Front And Rear), The Third (In The Background) Is One Of The Volkswagen 3 Series. By Walter Gotschke

Leaves me wondering when my tin poster was made. Any opinions about that?
1960Turkis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found that they are still for sale; but it's a differnt design than the one I have:
http://www.nostalgic-designs.com/acatalog/VOLKSWAGEN_CARS___VANS.html

So if anyone knows when the style I have was produced, would like to know that.
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of the actual prints depicting all of those scenes from 1930-1970. I've had them for probably 20 years now. I wonder if the series was ever continued.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoy the VieW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ever seen this tin poster with 1936 prototypes? Reply with quote

Hi,

I thought they were made at in the late 70's for 40 years Volkswagen.
A full set are 5 posters.

But i don't know if they were dealership posters, or just great drawings by Walter Gotschke...

Measurements:
73cm x 57,5cm

They are pretty rare to find!

Anyone else more info about it??

This is what i found about Walter Gotschke:

Of those artists throughout the world who have dedicated themselves to the automobile, only a select few have achieved worldwide renown - one of them being Walter Gotschke. Road & Track dubbed him "perhaps the world's greatest automotive artist."

His impressionistic gouaches not only portray the typical character of each race driver and his driving style, along with the authenticity of an historic event and cars true to the smallest detail, but also make the race atmosphere palpable, so that one can almost hear and smell the event from his art.

This self-taught artist was born in 1912 in a village of imperial Austrian Silesia (now Czech Republic) but lived and worked in Stuttgart, Germany from 1938.

Gotschke drew passionately even as a child, commencing with animals. Aged 11 he became fascinated by the first automobiles. From memory alone he tried repeatedly to draw the few cars that passed through his rural backwater. The later student of architecture experienced his first races in his homeland: the Ecce-Homo Hillclimb, the Masaryk Grand Prix and others. By seventeen his race sketches were published, followed a year later by the Masaryk Grand Prix poster.

Alongside decades of advertising work for Mercedes-Benz, Ford, Fiat, VW, etc., Walter Gotschke's favorite task was painting automobile races. During his later period of life this evolved to become his chief activity, and he was honored as an emeritus by the distinguished Automotive Fine Arts Society. His art has been featured in major publications around the world including Motor Revue, Sports Illustrated, Auto Motor und Sport, and Automobile Quarterly.

In 1985 an eye disease gradually turned into blindness and by the autumn of 2000 his eyes closed for ever.
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ever seen this tin poster with 1936 prototypes? Reply with quote

Last week I got the 1936 poster from a local who used to work on VW's.
I can't find much more info on it, besides this topic.
Plan is to frame it and hang it on my shop wall.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: