Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wanting to sell two VW Rabbits!
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chevy432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Wanting to sell two VW Rabbits! Reply with quote

Alright so here's some question time for all you VW finatics. I've got a 1980 VW rabbit which hs been in an accident resulting in a broke front bumper, front half of engine bay, and broke rad. The engine looks untouched! Are there VW crazies out there that would go crazy for a rabbit that come from Germany (since 1980's the last year they came from there)? If so how much could I sell it for considering it's been in an accident?

Next, I picked up a 1984 Rabbit and the engine won't turn on it. I've fixed it up so the car is complete (added new backseats, cleaned up interier and got new plastics for the back so the back when you open the hatchback looks brand new! Is there any way I can diagnose why the engine won't turn? Or even a better question would be, how much will it cost to get a mechanic to diagnose this problem? I'm wanting to get rid of them as they take up way too much space in my families driveway but if I can get the newer rabbit run I g I could make way more money considering it's a diesel and has 120,000km"s on it!

Thanks for all who take the time to read and reply,
Trevor
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wanting to sell two VW Rabbits! Reply with quote

They sound like they are worth slightly more than scrap value, maybe. The diesel might be worth more due to that it is just a motor not running, if that is all that is wrong with it. The wrecked one, sounds like it doesn't matter that the motor "wasn't touched", since the bumper was broken, the front uni-body could be seriously tweaked, meaning it could only be worth scrap value.

If they were running and not bent, it would be a different story. And not all 1980 Rabbits were from Germany, is it a round or square headlight car?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wanting to sell two VW Rabbits! Reply with quote

Post them as a buy one/get one on Clist/kijiji for $1500 & see if you get any bites. Getting them to & repaired at a garage would probably exceed any extra value that you would get as a running vehicle. Be prepared for stupid low offers, scammers, idiots wanting to collect pictures, & a-holes wanting just a part (for a buck or two).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Chevy432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wanting to sell two VW Rabbits! Reply with quote

Yup that all makes sense, I'll post them and give it a shot! Thanks
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanting to sell two VW Rabbits! Reply with quote

I don't ever recall seeing a Rabbit with round tail lights, my fist one was a '76 and had square tail lights which was definitely German made.

The bent one would only be worth something to a body man to fix or for parts. Getting it repaired in a shop would be do-able but likely way more than the car is worth.
The diesel engine could be complete junk if it is seized or just 15 minutes tinkering if it's just a dead battery. You did not give us enough info. If your local mechanic can't give you an answer in an hour's time, he is not very competent. That's usually the minimum charge. So 1 hour at their door rate of.. ?

If either of these cars are rusty(again no info) that reduces them to parts only status.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: