Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKType3Tim Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
MIG welding uses a fraction of what the TIG welding process uses. An 80cfm TIG tank is equivalent to a 22cfm MIG tank.

Agreed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

Been using the new mig for a while and I am having some trouble. I can't find the right setting, the chart is bad IMHO and it burns through everything. I'm welding replacement panels in today or tomorow and am welding OG steel right now and I don't want to keep having to make huge piles of weld to fill holes. Does anyone else have this welder? What settings are you running. Ive seen some beautiful welds come from this machine in pictures so I know it's possible.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

I would put the voltage on 1/3rd of it's dial to start. What gauge and type of joint ,etcetera are you going to do ,.025 wire with gas?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

20 gauge, butt joint. 0.023 wire with 75/25.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

A butt joint on 20 gauge is going to have to have perfect to virtually perfect fit up to do a continuous weld AND you are going to have to keep the edges from warping apart about every 1/4 of and inch. This means you can't be able to see light between the pieces at all or Very Very little. I have never tried to back the seam up with copper but I'm informed that it is a technique that works. Sometimes a work around is a bigger hassle than it's worth.

If you use the 'repeated spot weld technique,butt weld with gap,manually pulse weld etcetera', you will avoid a lot of problems butt welding thin metal.

There are a few threads on how to do this in this forum.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

I'm using the spot in different places technique. I actually did what you said to do with the voltage and it started working Very Happy . I got the new piece in almost perfect except I messed up the cut, but I made a patch for that too.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

yeah you have to pulse 1/8 inch at a time, and freeze, then 1/8 inch, freeze, repeat. Control the heat with the how long you pause.
You don't want the voltage too low. If it's not high enough compared to wire speed you blow holes, as the wire doesn't melt fast enough it puts too much heat in the metal. More volts less wire speed you start melting the wire before it actually hits, part of the time, and that can let you weld really thin stuff, if you can get it working for you at the right rhythm.
On my old miller 130 I would use #1 voltage for around 18 gauge, but to go even thinner often back up to #2 voltage with the wire speed set about as low as practical. My eastwood with the infinite adjustemtents isn't really any better at that. it surely has a "smoother" arc but that smoothness actually does not help much when pulse welding, but does ok, I've welded packing straps together with it just fine, they are less than .020 thick!

Last edited by modok on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

I actually did what KBStockpiler said to and got the panel in. Now I'm just filling pinholes because my panel cutting skills are a little bad and I may have had to fill a 1/4" gap with weld and a bad homemade patch.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

Lots of practice. The worse you are at fitting, the better you will be at gap filling Laughing
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

No joking there, you should have seen my floor pans before the seam sealer went on. There was 1/8" lap from the pans to the lip on the tunnel in some places Shocked I couldn't even attempt plug welds . The Firewall which I'm taking out still looks like someone put the heat on high and did beads on it in some places from the old flux core welder.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

I found that panel fitment should take at least half the time it takes to do the whole job. Your gap all around your panel has to be the same, which is about the thickness of the metal you are welding, and you have to be careful with the first 5 or 6 welds to get them spaced equally around the panel circumference. You also don't want to put a spot next to another spot. You want to put the next spot as far away on the panel from the previous spot as you can. Some people use a spray bottle with water, or compressed air, to cool the metal as they go.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: