Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bluetooth aftermarket stereos
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth aftermarket stereos Reply with quote

I'm looking to replace the stock radio/CD player in our 2004 Toyota Corolla. My wife has gotten two cell phone tickets with a total of over $700!! The in ear devices that are available are not her device of choice, so I was thinking a modern stereo system that will also act as a speaker phone? Any advice???

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Blutooth aftermarket stereos Reply with quote

I've had a couple, they do work well. Look for one with a separate mic, instead of one built into the faceplate. Install that up on the sun visor. I'd stay away from Sony, all sony car stereo equipment is garbage in my opinion. Kenwood and Alpine make nice units

Some of the bluetooth add on things are really good too, I've used the motorola roadster style and it was good. Edit - I've used my fathers Motorola T505 too, it's good and simple and cheap
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Blutooth aftermarket stereos Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I've had a couple, they do work well. Look for one with a separate mic, instead of one built into the faceplate. Install that up on the sun visor. I'd stay away from Sony, all sony car stereo equipment is garbage in my opinion. Kenwood and Alpine make nice units

Some of the bluetooth add on things are really good too, I've used the motorola roadster style and it was good. Edit - I've used my fathers Motorola T505 too, it's good and simple and cheap

1. The separate mic----I assume it needs to be charged or is it wired?
2. Does "ad on" refer to speaker phone devices?
3. I was also thinking, maybe a wireless speaker JBL, UE, BOSE, with a mic that she could also use as a personal audio device?

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
mslibertarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Blutooth aftermarket stereos Reply with quote

I put a Clarion CZ305 in my car. I bought it because it was the cheapest front USB, Bluetooth head I could find at the time. I love it. It came with the separate mic.

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Blutooth aftermarket stereos Reply with quote

love my kenwood kdc x597. separate mic and a TON of settings for the Bluetooth, like mic gain, echo somethingorother etc etc.....works killer and very clear. you can also set the calls to go thru front/rear/all speakers...neat unit

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Blutooth aftermarket stereos Reply with quote

I have a whooe well reasearched list ai will post in the am.....but I am not using cost as a factor on mine. Most are in the $200- $250 range.

In my list of specs.....I wanted:

Blue tooth ready
Sirius/xm ready
HD radio ready
Minimum of a 5 band equalizer....not a crappy parametric equalizer
SD/USB/bluetooth inputs
CD
Useful ability to work controls
Pre-amp inputs
Removable anti-theft face
Single DIN chassis

Variable readout color a bonus

The candidates ranged from one or two each of Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer and Sony.

Good reviews on CD and all other parts in hot and cold weather performance

All of these have tons of software and online updating.

Not a big fan of Sony....but they make some good stuff in car stereo and cameras.

I would suggest if you want an aftermarket car stereo like this....a real stereo.....look for one in the next year or so.....and buy it. More and more companies are catering to those who prefer basic sound over GOOD sound.....and starting to delete full stereo offerings to just go to an empty box with a face and an SD/ipod link.

Mp3 based music is poor quality. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Blutooth aftermarket stereos Reply with quote

ritchiet002 wrote:

3. I was also thinking, maybe a wireless speaker JBL, UE, BOSE, with a mic that she could also use as a personal audio device?

What about this option?

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Blutooth aftermarket stereos Reply with quote

ritchiet002 wrote:
ritchiet002 wrote:

What about this option?

Those are not so great ...the wireless mics.....from what I have seen. Another layer of interference and noise.

The factory bluetooth systems use a wired and shielded mic for a reason. So do the good aftermarket ones. Location is everything.

The one in my 2012 Golf Mk6 is in the overhead console near the bluetooth button (you can also activate from the wiper/logic stalk).

To tell you how much placement is an issue.....the Mk5 and 6 GTis have known crappy bluetooth pick up with the same system...in the same chassis.....with the same mic.

How its mounted inside the console is different and it picks up harmonic fuzz from the panel vibrating.

Also.....the quality of your bluetooth connection is also about 50% dependent on the transmistter antenna in the phone you have. Many people blame alot of the poor sound on the mic....when much of it is their phone.

I would not use a wireless mic. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Blutooth aftermarket stereos Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Not a big fan of Sony....but they make some good stuff in car stereo and cameras.

The problem with the Sony is that one day out of the blue, about a year in, it will just stop working. Won't turn on, nothing. I think they get hot and something cracks inside, likely where the fuse on the chassis meets the main board or something. I wish they did it inline instead of on the chassis

Sony's bluetooth quality is nice though, I never had a pairing problem or dropped settings, etc. I don't use the phone much except streaming pandora because I'm cheap and don't want to pay for XM for just one reggae channel

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Blutooth aftermarket stereos Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

The problem with the Sony is that one day out of the blue, about a year in, it will just stop working. Won't turn on, nothing. I think they get hot and something cracks inside, likely where the fuse on the chassis meets the main board or something. I wish they did it inline instead of on the chassis

Sony's bluetooth quality is nice though, I never had a pairing problem or dropped settings, etc. I don't use the phone much except streaming pandora because I'm cheap and don't want to pay for XM for just one reggae channel

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Damn if you didn't just point out exactly what I have found with Sony. They have nice features...ok style....decent functionality and sound...but reliability is not the best....from my experience.

Ray
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth aftermarket stereos Reply with quote

Just did one of these in my Jeep Cherokee. It's kind of odd, as it doesn't play CD's, so it's only like, 2-1/2" deep. It works great though. I use the voice function on my Android to dial and there's just a button on the face plate to answer when somebody rings in. I actually love it. I have an Infiniti with a Bose that SOUNDS amazing, but I love the functionality of the $69 Sony in my winter pile better... Very Happy

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Pc3QGOFtGyb/p_158DSXA40B/Sony-DSX-A400BT.html
66T3Fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth aftermarket stereos Reply with quote

I have always had good luck with the Pioneer line of headunits. You can also add steering wheel buttons from PAC to make/end calls if that is your main reason for a Bluetooth stereo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: