Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1200 header?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: 1200 header? Reply with quote

Where can I find a header for a 1200 (40hp) engine? Literally every site I go to only list 1300-1600 engines. I assume these won't work. Where do you guys with built up 1200's get speed parts from?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 header? Reply with quote

They didn't make headers for those, they were hand fabbed using discarded or stolen steel hand rails & fence posts. Laughing

Try vintage speed
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=802629

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 header? Reply with quote

yes, they make 40hp headers. Here's some

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Basic-Street-Header-Sedan-and-Bus-1200cc-40hp-p/2032-10.htm

http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/Single_Quiet_Pack_Muffler_and_Header_for_VW_Bug_p/36hpheader.htm
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 header? Reply with quote

Both unavailable...
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 header? Reply with quote

^^^ correct

And the vintage speed ones have mufflers. I'm looking for just the header so I can be a douche and run a stinger when I feel like.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 header? Reply with quote

Get one for a 1600 & cut it down & weld it back up.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 header? Reply with quote

CIP1 and others have the 1200 Empi header with muffler. Cut the muffler off and weld on a flange to work with the muffler you want to use. Pretty inexpensive and easy.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-3766
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 header? Reply with quote

You can modify a merged header easier, since it is adjustable with engine width. For the cylinder 2 and 4 flanges you simply need to drill the stud holes out a size bigger. The 1 and 3 flanges must be cut off, rotated to the right orientation and welded back on.

There were 36 and 40 hp headers made, they are just hard to find. A few years ago, a guy was selling 3 of them on here...

Unfortunately I just threw away my modified merged header...I would have given it to you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 header? Reply with quote

Ok, I must be getting old...still have the merged header that is modified for 36hp engine if you want it.

With a merged header you have no heat and the shoeboxes must be removed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 header? Reply with quote

I bought a 1200 header from VW Heritage some years ago for my 1200, but I had to cut it down due to cutting the heads for higher compression.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 header? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
You can modify a merged header easier, since it is adjustable with engine width. For the cylinder 2 and 4 flanges you simply need to drill the stud holes out a size bigger. The 1 and 3 flanges must be cut off, rotated to the right orientation and welded back on.

The 1 and 3 flanges need to be cut and turned? I'm confused. The upper stud faces inboard and the lower stud out. I don't have any newer parts around right now but I was thinking that repop '73 Thing exhaust might work on a buggy and with a single carb (and I've only seen pics of them but width wouldn't be an issue.)
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 header? Reply with quote

I worded it too dramatically...for the alignment to work properly with the front section of the header, the 1&3 flanges have to rotated slightly for the "j-tubes" to line up with the main header.

The rotation is more than just enlarging the flange holes
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 header? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
I worded it too dramatically...for the alignment to work properly with the front section of the header, the 1&3 flanges have to rotated slightly for the "j-tubes" to line up with the main header.

The rotation is more than just enlarging the flange holes

Wouldn't it be easier to just alter the header to make the lower tubes align with the heater boxes? The upper is already being cut up and welded.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 header? Reply with quote

You have to keep in mind that it is a full merged header...no heater boxes.

The front flanges do not need to be cut at all, just open of the flange holes a bit

See picture...modifying the layout of the tubes that go to the rear would be a major PITA...cutting the flanges off and rotating to correct the alignment was easy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: