Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brazilian VW Bus - Full Tour Video
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you ever seen a Brazilian Bus in Person?
Yes I sure have
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
As a matter of fact I haven't
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Brazilian VW Bus - Full Tour Video Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I thought you may be interested in having a look at Brazilian Bay / Split Hybrid, so Leah and I made this video for you.

I know there aren't that many of these outside of South America so this is a chance to have a look at one until you see one in person.

Link

Host: Ten Foot Dug & Ben Jamin
Filmed by: Ben Jamin
Edited by: Leah Jade

INFO

1992 Brazilian Fleetline
    Registered in Chile
    Bough and converted into a camper by me in 2012 in Santiago Chile
    Driven north to Alaska until 2016 when I (foolishly) gave it away
    Original Engine: 1600 single port, single carb
    Current Engine: 1600 dual port, Mexican FI (taken from a 2001 Mex Beetle)
    Brakes: Front Disc (factory) rear drum
    Tranny: it's like a bug case, with a 4.3 R&P and bay bus nose cone - I think, I'm not certain on this.
    Mileage: I took it around the clock 1 time, so 100,000kms (62,000 miles)
    Front suspension: link / king pin system

Other interesting differences not mentioned in the video

The engine is only supported via 4 bolts to the tranny, there is no additional cross-beam support.
    The rear shelf of the engine bay can be removed, which I've had lots of practice doing Smile
    The tranny does have a fixed cross piece that is welded to the chassis - not sure if that is normal for a bay window

Here are some pictures of the bus and a few from my trip

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The original emblem is embossed into the steel, I added this one as I thought it looked better. (picture taken to highlight the national bird of Alaska Wink )

the first day I bought the bus in Santiago

before construction

My project was to offer free accommodation to people that I met along the way - I found it hard to say no. I thought because these buses were used as collective taxis in Latin America that they could handle the weight, but I pushed this kombi too hard too many times

In Mexico I spent 5 months living in a mechanic completely restoring the Kombi. I put in the F.I engine, which caused a lot of divided opinion here on the The Samba, but in the end was the strongest of all the engine configurations I had previously - I would still recommend it.

I lived in the bus like this for months, no windows and water leaking in during rainy season in southern Mex. I got sick, it was hard. The time made me a better person, but not before making me a worse person for a little while.

I met A LOT of mechanics along the way, and learnt something from all of them. Each time the next mechanic would tell me the last one was wrong and so it took a long time to figure out what was right and what was wrong. Ultimately the books were my preferred method of learning (The Samba members sent them me - thanks guys) Some Latino shops refused to carry out work to the specs of the book, which made for long and frustrating rebuilds. I still don't claim to be a mechanic at all but I'm proud that I started the trip not known how to remove spark plugs and ended it knowing how to rebuild an entire engine. I also learnt how to make 'bush fixes' when parts aren't available - which is pretty important for a trip like this.

Probably the biggest lesson I learnt (and it was from TS member busdaddy) is that when something seems wrong, the best course of action is to put all plans on hold and investigate the issue ASAP)

I can't even describe how many people played a part in helping me get from Chile to Alaska - it's amazing how many people offered advice and their time to help me out. I'm especially grateful to everyone on this forum for their patience and support - I literally wouldn't have made it without you.

A typical camp site - this one in Baja Cali

I found someone pretty special on the road too. I met Leah in Mexico, she returned to the Kombi a few times, the last time we decided not to be friends any more. Very Happy You have her to thank for the video at the top.

These two saw us under a bridge in Alaska, head in the engine as per usual, stinking of gasoline, wondering why we kept breaking down every few miles. They drove off 150 miles to Fairbanks to buy a telescopic camera and returned the next day to fish out a piece of tape that was stuck in the gas tank. I'll never forget Steve and Nancy's selfless act of generosity that day in Alaska. This is typical of the love that we've received from our extended VW family, it really is a very special community.

Last challenge for us was the Dalton Highway - a 1000 mile extremely challenging round trip to the Arctic and the end of the longest road in the world.

The end of the road...of this road anyway, I still have a few more I would like to drive...but that is a story for another time.
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brazilian VW Bus - Full Tour Video Reply with quote

Whats funny is we were all doing exactly what you caught in the first vid while shooting the breeze in the parking lot. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Brazilian VW Bus - Full Tour Video Reply with quote

Cool pic! thanks for posting that. I'd take the camper special out of that lot...or maybe the high-top, still can't get that out of my head.
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Brazilian VW Bus - Full Tour Video Reply with quote

I'm getting sick
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: