Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone seen this beer stein (any VW ex-employees out there)?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Anyone seen this beer stein (any VW ex-employees out there)? Reply with quote

We believe my father-in-law received this as some work anniversary recognition (he worked in IT at VW for many years), but we aren't sure. I don't think dealers were into the memorabilia/accessories like they are today. This is probably 20-30 years old, we just aren't sure.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The bottom shows it is pewter, made by a company still in business (Jostens, in England). Online you can see somewhat similar steins, most without the hinged lid, most with a somewhat different grip.

Interestingly. the bottom is clear!

The engraved crest is neither the pre- or post-1960 style. It has the blocks detailed, but the simpler wolf. It also has the VW logo instead of the water symbology.

This one (un-engraved) looks like a very close if not perfect match:

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/josten-s-pewter-stei...409116470/

Anyone know what these were made for, for whom, and why?
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen this beer stein (any VW ex-employees out there)? Reply with quote

Jostens was big into corporate anniversary award programs. I would guess this stein was at least a 10-year anniversary award for VWoA employees.

I have a gold-plated VW tiebar I picked up at a flea market several years ago that I'm thinking was no greater than a 5-year anniversary award and may have also included a pair of VW logo cufflinks in the award package.
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen this beer stein (any VW ex-employees out there)? Reply with quote

And here I was thinking I was the only one with one of these. I have the same exact stein. Clear bottom and all. I got mine cheap off eBay maybe 7 or 8 years ago. I have a couple of other Jostens pieces with the Wolfsburg crest on it. Most notably a hanging thermometer/barometer combo that came from my neighbor's brother. They all were involved with the VW Westmoreland factory here in PA, so I would date it from the late 70s or early 80s. It too has the crest mounted on the nicely finished board that everything is attached to.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen this beer stein (any VW ex-employees out there)? Reply with quote

Cool!

Does the crest on your stein match this one? It's not quite the same as any crests I have seen, as noted.

Any idea why they were originally made and for whom?
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone seen this beer stein (any VW ex-employees out there)? Reply with quote

I'll double check the logo, but I'm 99.9% sure its identical.

I would guess, and it's a big guess that it was some sort of giveaway to employees. Perhaps from VW Westmoreland or maybe through dealer employees. I used to work for both a VW and an Audi dealer about 10-15 years ago and as employees, we used to get discounts through Driver Gear as well as through a corporate order program that gave us access to items that were exclusive.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: