Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Homemade diy custom heater boxes ???
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusti shakelfurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

Has anybody ever made their own heater boxes I have a empi stinger setup and want defrost I am thinking about making my own boxes out of 4 inch exhaust pipe splitting it and putting it around the j tubes and welding in some baffle plates under it and piping the air through it. Has anybody ever done anything similar or have any ideas to get some defrost and maybe a Lil heat thanks in advance and BTW I am not getting rid of the stinger Imo it's not a baja without a stinger lol
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

Is there a reason you dont want tot use standard heater boxes? they will work with a stinger.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
Is there a reason you dont want tot use standard heater boxes? they will work with a stinger.
will they work with the non-j tube stingers like tri-mill bobcat or bobtail.
Rusti shakelfurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

Dirt keeper they won't work with the style I have the boxes run under the head where my exhaust runs over I made a box today I will finish it in the morning then post some pics just a test idle with it all tacked together it works bad ass so we will see it maybe the new thing to do
Q13931152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

Your can around the tubing with baffles inside idea sounds like it ought to work if you can get enough heat transfer from the exhaust pipes into the baffles themselves . It sounds a lot like the old buggy heater thing that was available way back when, and I'm curious to see what you came up with.

One of my friends added stock heat exchangers into his exhaust system ( which sounds like it's very similar design to what you have with the tubes above the heads) using some off the shelf exhaust 90's from the local parts store and he just cut them to fit and welded them together himself . I think he ended up either having to clamp or weld the lower ends of the pipes onto the exchangers, but the end where they join with the rest of the exhaust is still a slip joint if I remember correctly so it's still removable . It works really well too.

Of course you could always have a muffler shop make the tubes you'd need to go between the heat exchangers and your exhaust very easily if you didn't want to go the whole diy route.
Rusti shakelfurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Q13931152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

That's pretty clever ! I don't see any reason why that design wouldn't work once you're done.

BTW, that looks like the same exhaust my friend has on his buggy ( minus the stinger), so the modifications he made would work for yours as well. Come off of where the "J" tube enters the header with a pair of 90's and you're all set.

Last edited by Q13931152 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

Q13931152 wrote:
That's pretty clever ! I don't see any reason why that design wouldn't work once you're done.

Agree I like the ingenuity. Didn't realize you had that type over the top header.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

If you weld the baffles completely to the pipe, that will increase your heat transfer surface area. Cool

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smileyman3000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

Check out the first page or two of this.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=115346&hilit=turbobaja

Smiley Smile
Rusti shakelfurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

Ya those boxes were pretty sweet I wanna know what he used for valves to block it off. Mine definately work but don't look that fancy. Pullstart they were just tacked in that pic easier to take apart if it didn't work
f

Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

Here is the first set that I built around 15 years ago. They are still in service today on my Baja. I opened them up because it was starting to smell pretty bad, and I wanted to make sure they weren't leaking. I closed off one end, pressurized them and put under water (notice the wheel stem). Turns out it was just 15 years of crud. Even though these don't have many fins, I get more heat then one would expect.

The last set I made is on my DD, and I used larger and a lot more fins. On them I used 3/16" aluminum plate that I bored the holes on a lathe for a tolerance fit. Then heated each plate, so when they cooled they shrunk onto the 1-5/8" J tube. I didn't take any pics, because that was before I joined the samba. I will say that I get heat sooner then the stock boxes, but the heat is not as "deep" as the stock ones.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

i thought about making a set using antifreeze and a pump to circulate with a heater core up front
not as simple but could make good heat.

how well does the oil cooler for a heater work?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

Oh boy did you open a can of worms there Very Happy . It actually does work very well if it constructed properly. However, you will get a lot of nay sayers that quote numbers, yet have never tried it bashing it left and right. I'm at work right now, but I'll post up some pics of a unit that was done right. I've built three heater box setups and two oil setups. Both have their pluses and minuses.

Let the bashing begin.
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

Here is a pick of my dad's oil heated Baja. We all know how older folks don't like the cold. Well he's 87 and still putting along in comfort.

My builds
tdrrally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade diy custom heater boxes ??? Reply with quote

i will say i like it
i thought about putting the heater in the rear under the back window or under the rear seat.

from a rally beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: