Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mechanic shop rental or work area in S. CA?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Mechanic shop rental or work area in S. CA? Reply with quote

does anybody know in southern California specifically in orange county know of a place that can be rented out so i can work on my cars? ive checked online and so far no one really offers a space that can be rented for this type of work in the area.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanic shop rental or work area in S. CA? Reply with quote

Hello and WELCOME.
You bring up a very good issue here where folks can "pool" some resource money to rent shop space. I had a work compadre who offered me a 1/4 of a shop space for 1/4 rent. Sounded good til another work "bud" needed space for side work. Fell apart completely.
The Orange County/Los Angeles County is full of air-cooled VW clubs and I would try and see if anyone there is "thinking outside the box" towards an indoor work place. I believe some clubs have a weekend/monthly
repair/tune event but I don't think that is what you're looking for.
Good luck, Bill.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic shop rental or work area in S. CA? Reply with quote

Sounds like you want to rent a (repair) shop, but not open to the public. You may/may not have all the facilities (pit, lift, diagnostic machines, & other tools) typically found in a repair shop, but you’ll have some. And you probably only want it for months, not years.

To most landlords, that is an auto-repair shop. (Open to the public is not his concern.) As such, there are typically EPA, city/county/state regulations for such facilities, particularly if you want to do some painting. Unfortunately, the landlord/owner can’t rent you a space and say “That’s all on you.” Your violations of these regulations can potentially come back to bite him/her. And, they’d likely prefer a long term tenant.

Your best bet will be to find some industrial park that’s renting space, and is a little lax on the regulations. At least for me, these typically are not conveniently located.

Your second best bet will be to find someone willing to rent you their private garage, who’ll let you do what you want (within reason). These may be harder to find, but easier to work with than someone in the business of renting.

I’m not in SoCal, but this has been my experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic shop rental or work area in S. CA? Reply with quote

I agree, is California the rules make it hard to have a cheap auto repair location (commercial or co-op). Try searching for VW clubs in the area (there is a thread here on the Samba) and see what they know, or as posted, if they will let you make use of their garage temporarily.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic shop rental or work area in S. CA? Reply with quote

I assume you've tried Craigslist "Parking/Storage" right? I've had really good luck on there with old ladies renting out their garage.
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanic shop rental or work area in S. CA? Reply with quote

http://www.urdreamgarage.com/
VW Division Sales Manager
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mechanic shop rental or work area in S. CA? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
I assume you've tried Craigslist "Parking/Storage" right? I've had really good luck on there with old ladies renting out their garage.

That's what I was talking about.

TMI Products wrote:

Wow! I've dreamed of opening something like this for years!
Every time I've looked into it, insurance (particularly liability) was the $how $topper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanic shop rental or work area in S. CA? Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:

thank ill look into this
eries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanic shop rental or work area in S. CA? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

yes ive tried craigslist many times.
Manx Mayhem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanic shop rental or work area in S. CA? Reply with quote

Are you still interested in renting some shop space to wrench on your vehicles?

I own a machine shop/ fabrication shop in OC and can make space if you are still interested in renting some space.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: