Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle? Reply with quote

To me, the exhaust on the 2275 didn't look like it was capable of 200 hp.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle? Reply with quote

Well, I thought that the 1965 Beetle was in great condition, and looked nice afterward, exterior and interior. OK, they bolted on a complete new front end, OK, think that might've had discs. And they installed a complete Rancho transaxle, OK.

But I didn't like the fancy wheels, or that $5500 engine they bought for it, should've stayed stock on that stuff. At the very end of the show the one guy said it came with puny 1600cc engine where we all know it had 1200cc.

Typical - like with the blue truck in that episode - those guys are oftentimes like grown-up children, like to go fast in the dirt with everything. But I guess they're still helping to preserve history. Most of us here would've built back to 1200cc.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle? Reply with quote

I would have left well enough along, but that is me.
Probably redone the interior, 1600cc engine. Made sure all of the systems worked properly.
The engine hmm claimed to be 200hp. I did not catch the builders name.
Fifty five hundred for the motor, well I will admit you do get what you pay for.
That Chevy Silverado...Man I should buy them up here in the dry southwest and sell back east.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle? Reply with quote

I liked it, and I noticed they did a few things correctly... like a new engine compartment seal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle? Reply with quote

Everything that they did could be easily reversed. If I were to buy that, I'd want to have the original trans and engine included for that very reason. I liked the way that they preserved the original paint and did the paintless ding removal. I would have preferred different wheels, not the stock looking wheels they used. But overall, I thought it was very well done.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle? Reply with quote

I just about spit my coffee out when they were pulling the engine and one of them said "hold up, speedo cable". Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle? Reply with quote

^ yeah, I caught that too...maybe he said "Speedy" cable 😉
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle? Reply with quote

Yeah, he did say "speedo" cable when they were taking the motor out and it disappointed me a little...

I enjoyed the episode for the most part though. The Gas Monkey website featured the build and they said the narrowed beam is shockless. Not sure I like that idea, but OK. Overall, I liked the car in the end and I liked the wheels - probably because they looked stock-ish. The motor was a bit much, but it was cool. The Rancho trans was a good add, but like others have said, the original motor and trans were never considered, just yanked. I guess they weren't in the build plan.

Here's what I noticed:

The exhaust pipes appeared close enough to the body cut outs to hit. I'd be surprised if they didn't.
No time was spent showing the work done on the interior or whether it was done in house.
The end product appeared to have black or undercoated fenders, but no explanation or coverage was provided.
A performance (Black Mamba) shifter was installed but not mentioned on the show.

They bought the car (nice and very original) and the hi perf motor from Elliot Vancill. I recognized his name because there have been a couple VWs of his featured in HotVW Magazine. I know one was a mint green convertible and the article title was "Vancill's Vert". I think the other VW in the show that he took the Gas Monkey guys for a ride in was also featured in the mag.

How nice would it be to have a show about Vancill's place...??? Or Chris Vallone's!!!!
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle? Reply with quote

It would have been nice to have some more in depth but mostly because I like the subject car. It's not abnormal for them to gloss over most of what they do and usually I don't care. It also fit into their wheelhouse, taking nice examples and kicking it up a notch. None of these guys truly seem to be VW guys and I'm sure it was just to show something different. Personally, I liked the car and thought the mods were tasteful and looked nice. They aren't a resto shop, they're a custom shop so wasn't surprised at what they did. Honestly I figured they would have done more.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle? Reply with quote

Dont think the muffler will hit. Looked like everything was solid mounted, trans. Change the muffler, wheels, interior and it would be a nice restocustom. IDA's with peashooters, funny. I thought they showed it with a sidewinder before install.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle? Reply with quote

I would love to put that "200 horsepower" engine on an uncorrected dyno..

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: No Comments on the Fast and Loud Beetle? Reply with quote

I saw some pictures on the GMG facebook page and it showed a MOFOCO logo machined on the engine case.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: