Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail??
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

Center to center hole for pedal bracket in early chassis (61) is 3-1/2 (+/-) inches... IF your holes are other than 3 -1/2 inches apart in your "pedal box" there is problem with pedal box and 60-66 pedals are not going to fit....

So far you have put many days into this with no resolution, Just mod the pedal box as any reasonable builder would do, you are a builder aren't you and not just a kit assembler...

I don't mean to be harsh, but all you are doing is thrashing around with no results and all you are doing is making your self bloodied...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

thanks for the measurement!

actually i have only put a few minutes of real work into it so far. i have been away on travel for work, and will be gone for 2 weeks, so i haven't been messing with it every day or anything.

i don't mind getting bloodied, wouldn't be the first time i have bled all over a project of mine...literally Laughing

as soon as I get home ill measure the center to center distance on my pedal box and see what I come up with. I wish I had measured it before I left. if it is ~3.5" and the earlier pedals will work, i found some used sets in the classifieds here.

thanks for putting up with all of my noob-ness!
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

So far you have put many days into this with no resolution, Just mod the pedal box

Dale

Worst case, Cut the pedal stop out, ream one of the holes, bolt it in, fabricate an adjustable pedal stop with the mentioned 1/4" plate and a couple of 1/4" bolts and nuts (welded to the plate). This would be a better setup than what is currently there anyway.

I have a similar box on my rail, pedal arms stand nearly straight, only lean forward 5-7 degrees, and have been shortened by about an inch. I would take a photo but the pedal assembly is disassembled as I fabricate a new clutch arm with a bolt on cable attachment and add grease fitting. Its an original VW part but has already been hacked and cut on so might as well finish it the way I want it.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

yitzac1990 wrote:
I would rather just get the correct pedals. if the 1966 and earlier pedals are whats "supposed" to fit, i'd rather try those out, instead of frankensteining something.

You should get the 1966 and earlier pedals if that's what you really want. You'll have a stronger set of forged steel pedals at the very least.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

yeah I went ahead and bought a used set of pedals from early bug. we'll see what happens. I have 60 days to return the empi pedal set I ordered, so i should be good to go. and if these older pedals don't fit, either way I will be forced to fab something up.
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

Mystery solved. The pre-66 Pedals fit my pedal box perfectly. Will be returning the Empi set.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

yitzac1990 wrote:
Mystery solved. The pre-66 Pedals fit my pedal box perfectly. Will be returning the Empi set.

No pictures ?

yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

i can take some later today. i just got home, put the pedals up to the box, and then had to leave to go out again.
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

Here are a couple pics showing the pre-66 pedals on the rail. all I had to do was slightly drill out the 2 mounting holes on the box to accept the larger bolts. The pedal assembly also came with an OEM brake rod, so didnt have to make a clevis!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

yitzac1990 wrote:
The pedal assembly also came with an OEM brake rod, so didnt have to make a clevis!

Definitely a win win Applause

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

Glad to read about success with the pedals.

The picture above shows a hole cut in the bottom frame rail that's been cut with a rotary disc. Perhaps cut by a previous owner to put the throttle cable inside the frame rail? The ends of the cuts need to be stop drilled with a 1/4" drill and then welded up.

If the hole is not to be used, I recommend welding a patch of .095 wall tube with tapered ends.

If the hole IS planned to be used as I described above, a piece of tubing should be welded into the hole.

If this is not patched, it will be forever weak and likely to break.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Glad to read about success with the pedals.

The picture above shows a hole cut in the bottom frame rail that's been cut with a rotary disc. Perhaps cut by a previous owner to put the throttle cable inside the frame rail? The ends of the cuts need to be stop drilled with a 1/4" drill and then welded up.

If the hole is not to be used, I recommend welding a patch of .095 wall tube with tapered ends.

If the hole IS planned to be used as I described above, a piece of tubing should be welded into the hole.

If this is not patched, it will be forever weak and likely to break.

Good catch....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

oh yeah, i forgot about that hole in all the excitement of finishing the buggy. i made that hole to take out the old crappy throttle cable and what was left of the old clutch cable. ill weld a patch on maybe tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me lol
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: beetle pedal assembly wont fit on sand rail?? Reply with quote

You're welcome!

One reason to close up that hole is to keep out rain and wash water to prevent rusting out from the inside.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: