Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake conversion kit for 1969 Type 2 Bus?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHOTOBUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Brake conversion kit for 1969 Type 2 Bus? Reply with quote

Has anyone done a brake conversion kit on a type 2 69 bus? If so where did you get your kit from, how difficult was it and what did it run you?

Thanks for the help.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake conversion kit for 1969 Type 2 Bus? Reply with quote

Tom Powell put disc brakes on the front of his 1969 bus. Send him a PM

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=59242
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Brake conversion kit for 1969 Type 2 Bus? Reply with quote

Hi.
Would like to ask why are you looking for a kit? Are you looking to improve from the original drum set-up? Is there a problem with the current brake system? Not to dissuade you but a brake system is engineered to perform a job for each application. There are probably 4-5 levels of improvement/upgrade and I'm sure each has their advantages/disadvantages.
Bill.
PHOTOBUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake conversion kit for 1969 Type 2 Bus? Reply with quote

@rockerarm I am looking to improve the performance and ease of using my current brakes. As you know they are a little tough on the quads. I'm also open to upgrades that aren't full conversion.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake conversion kit for 1969 Type 2 Bus? Reply with quote

PHOTOBUS wrote:
@rockerarm I am looking to improve the performance and ease of using my current brakes. As you know they are a little tough on the quads. I'm also open to upgrades that aren't full conversion.

To improve performance install disc brakes. To improve the ease of using the brakes install a booster ala Aeromech. Disc brakes without a booster will improve stopping distance, but will require more leg muscle than OG drum brakes. BTDT

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake conversion kit for 1969 Type 2 Bus? Reply with quote

Hi.
Aeromech, on two occasions, I believe, added the power brake booster to the '68-'70 Bay Bus beam. Basically, a plate is fab'd and welded to the front beam. Then the '71 and later bus master cyl and booster are installed to include possible pedal linkage parts and hose routing for the brake fluid reservoir. I would guess one could source the parts/etc for approx. $500.
You would have to access the intake manifold for a vacuum source and plumb towards the booster.

I have used a brake shop down in the LA harbor area that supports the truck/industrial industry and had VW brake shoes re-lined with a bit more aggressive lining. A set of these linings are approx. $50/axle.

The advantage is both are totally reversible and you retain the original wheels/tires/etc.

Hope this helps, Bill.
deronmoped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake conversion kit for 1969 Type 2 Bus? Reply with quote

I did my 1970 Bus.

I went to the junk yard, took everything I needed off a 71 (discs, calipers, brake booster, proportioning valve, spindles, master cylinder, hardware...) I even got the rear brakes too. This had to be like almost ten years ago, I'm pretty sure it was $250.00 for the whole lot. Everything is bolt on except the brake booster/master cylinder and proportioning valve.

The brake booster makes for a little softer pedal. I always felt that the drum brakes were too much effort and did not slow the Bus down enough, coming to a stop at the bottom of a hill.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake conversion kit for 1969 Type 2 Bus? Reply with quote

Yes, approx. 15 years ago I came across a pair of late bay's ('76 or '77) that still hadn't been ravaged of its cool brakes/suspension.
Went home to gather needed tools and cash but when I arrived a pair of latin fellows from the Tijuana/Ensenada area were disassembling it all. Seems it was easier and more efficient to do this then to repair their busted up bus' south of the border.
Bill
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake conversion kit for 1969 Type 2 Bus? Reply with quote

deronmoped wrote:
I did my 1970 Bus.

I went to the junk yard, took everything I needed off a 71 (discs, calipers, brake booster, proportioning valve, spindles, master cylinder, hardware...) I even got the rear brakes too. This had to be like almost ten years ago, I'm pretty sure it was $250.00 for the whole lot. Everything is bolt on except the brake booster/master cylinder and proportioning valve.

The brake booster makes for a little softer pedal. I always felt that the drum brakes were too much effort and did not slow the Bus down enough, coming to a stop at the bottom of a hill.

You forgot an important item you would have needed. The early bay wide five wheels wouldn't fit anymore so you'd need the later style wheels too
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Brake conversion kit for 1969 Type 2 Bus? Reply with quote

What wheels are you running? Just note that not all bolt on kits will work with stock 14" wheels. If you're keeping stock wheels, CSP (from CIP1) brakes are very very nice. Another nice option would be the Babystangs from Wagens West. Good thing about these kits is replacement pads, etc are all readily available from your local parts store. If you're changing to 15", Wagens West offers a few more upgraded versions, as does Old Speed, Saco, etc. If keeping a stock configuration (wheels, suspension, etc), make sure you ask whichever vendor you decide on about offset changes, as some do increase track width.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: