Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

In August 2015, I did a comparison between the Airkewld and CSP disc brake kits. Once the results of that comparison were completed - I planned to upgrade my rear brakes in the 'near' future. I'm not a fan of drum brakes so this conversion was a matter of time for me.

For review purposes: My car is a 64 Variant S, converted to 12 volt, with the CSP front disc brake kit and mostly NOS rear drum parts with low miles.

I recently purchased the CSP rear disc brake kit and the master cylinder they recommend to go with 4 wheel disc brakes. There has been some debate in the past about whether it’s ‘required’ or not – some believe that the later Type 3 dual circuit master cylinder can be used on a 4 wheel disc brake system. I chose to buy the recommended master cylinder for simplicity purposes and that’s what the review here will discuss.

This will be a multi-part review.

What's in the box:
* Caliper bracket – replaces bearing cover
* Alloy hub/rotor
* Instructions with photos for orientation and confirmation of correct installation (also online as a web page or .pdf download) I found the online instructions printed out were easier to read and follow due to font size.
* Exploded view of how the parts go together
* Brake pads installed in calipers
* Lucas floating caliper with VW logo and parking brake
* Two blister cards of hardware/tools
* Parking brake cables (no sheath – reuse existing sheath)
* Bearings and seals on a separate blister card (not with hardware)
* Rubber brake hoses, metal brake lines and adapter for rear spring plate

What's NOT in the box:
* Lug nuts not included (I used M14 R12 ball seat from Otis LA)

Specifics:
* 14mm stud diameter, uses R12 ball seat lug nut on stock 15" non slot wheels.
* 30mm stud length (measured from the face of the hub to the end of the stud)
* TUV certified
* Cannot be used on 14" wheels or early Type 3 slotted wheels, per enclosed instructions
* Does not add track per enclosed instructions
* Approximate weight per side: 24.5# vs. 23.5# for stock drum
* CSP strongly recommends use of their master cylinder with 4 wheel disc brake systems (will be reviewed in a subsequent post)

The two blister packs - some parts escaped the package (bolts) but kept low and did not damage other parts:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Each rotor/hub is individually packaged in a double wall box (no photo).

The photos below show 'dry fit', not final installation, at this time.

To start - You remove the drum, shoes, hardware, backing plate, wheel cylinder, bearing cover, gaskets/seals until you're down to just the axle, axle tube and the rear bearing. The axle tube end must be cleaned very very well. When I first read the installation instructions - I thought there was no way this was going to seal properly. But it works and doesn't leak at all. Some visual stages of the installation process...

Everything removed - outer o-ring and CSP provided spacer installed:

The instructions state that the included spacer (#7) is only to be used on 1968+ swing axle cars - but this didn't prove true. After the installation, I discovered that the spacer is indeed required. I believe this may only apply to Type 1 installations (large portions of the instructions use/reference the Type 1 vehicles). The snippet of the instructions:

Here's the spacer:

Installing the spacer is simple - just drop it in the bearing bracket:

The caliper bracket mounted - with new seals and spacer:

Stamped/logo'd caliper:

Once you get to this point (everything is mounted but the castle nut isn't torqued to spec.) - grab the top of the hub/rotor and pull towards you and push back against the car. It should not move more than about a 1/16". If, for some reason, you didn't install the 3mm spacer, the whole thing will move in and out 3mm - it's very noticeable. If it moves in/out, you have to take it apart and install the spacer in the bearing bracket.

CSP provides a short flexible hose and a short hard line to reroute the brake line. The short soft hose goes between the supplied bracket on the top spring plate bolt. The short supplied hard line fits between the stock soft hose/bracket on the spring plate and the bracket on the spring plate:

As supplied. I hand bent the hard line because at this point I knew I wasn't going to use it:

Using the stock hard line (hand bent to make it fit) - creates a large loop over the rear axle but it can be done if needed/desired:

Overview of both lines installed using the supplied spring plate bracket:

Rear view of the installed hub/rotor without the parking brake cable installed:

Next update will be the parking brake installation process and the recommended master cylinder...

Last edited by ataraxia on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

I'm no expert here but that rubber line looks like it's curved pretty tightly.
I feel like that would be bad for the rubber and cause accelerated fatigue over time.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I'm no expert here but that rubber line looks like it's curved pretty tightly.
I feel like that would be bad for the rubber and cause accelerated fatigue over time.

You have unknowingly brought up the exact reason the brakes are not "fully" installed yet. I too am concerned with the "twist" in this hose and I am looking for alternatives. I am also not a fan of the four connections from the pan to the caliper so I'm considering using two stainless steel braided lines vs. two hard lines and one small twisted soft line. I'd retain the stock bracket mounted along the spring plate. I'm trying to modify as little as possible but have a solid system. I'm guessing that CSP doesn't sell a lot of the rear kits that go on a bone stock car.

EDIT: Here's another view of the hose as installed:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaxdream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

Does the hard line to soft line use the VW bubble flare or is it more American??? Personally I'd opt to go full hard line to the caliper as the soft line doesn't move in that location.

Jack
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

jaxdream wrote:
Does the hard line to soft line use the VW bubble flare or is it more American??? Personally I'd opt to go full hard line to the caliper as the soft line doesn't move in that location.

Jack

It is bubble flare.

The line to the caliper DOES move, although not much, as the caliper moves in and out with use.

I'm considering using two stainless steel braided lines to replace the two rubber hoses and the short hard line but still researching options.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
jaxdream wrote:

Jack

It is bubble flare.

The line to the caliper DOES move, although not much, as the caliper moves in and out with use.

I'm considering using two stainless steel braided lines to replace the two rubber hoses and the short hard line but still researching options.

Hoping you are not so far along that you might not have time to take one of the new hub units off to get a nice picture of the inside of the unit where it replaces the outer bearing hub cover. That would be nice to see.
Ray
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Hoping you are not so far along that you might not have time to take one of the new hub units off to get a nice picture of the inside of the unit where it replaces the outer bearing hub cover. That would be nice to see.
Ray

Yeah, I thought about that after I finished mounting them...unless they manage to spring a leak (which I don't foresee happening) I'm not taking them off again. They're one piece, machined very well and the fit is impeccable.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

Yeah, I thought about that after I finished mounting them...unless they manage to spring a leak (which I don't foresee happening) I'm not taking them off again. They're one piece, machined very well and the fit is impeccable.

Cool!...a favor then. In your picture I see the outer bearing cover laying in your plastic bin. Could you measure the depth of the ledge on the inside where the bearing face fits into it?

While the rear brake systems on my car (VW 412) is virtually identical...same drum, backing plate, brake hardware and shoes, brake cylinder...all type 3 part #'s...I have a different bearing cover.

It looks identical externally....bolt pattern, casting etc.....but has a different depth on the inside because it clamps up against a roller bearing race.

Its part # is 411 501 311. If I can get an idea of what the depth is on your bearing cover...it will tell me if I need to build a spacer or have a small amount of machine work done to fit that unit.

Thank you! Ray
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

Cool!...a favor then. In your picture I see the outer bearing cover laying in your plastic bin. Could you measure the depth of the ledge on the inside where the bearing face fits into it?

While the rear brake systems on my car (VW 412) is virtually identical...same drum, backing plate, brake hardware and shoes, brake cylinder...all type 3 part #'s...I have a different bearing cover.

It looks identical externally....bolt pattern, casting etc.....but has a different depth on the inside because it clamps up against a roller bearing race.

Its part # is 411 501 311. If I can get an idea of what the depth is on your bearing cover...it will tell me if I need to build a spacer or have a small amount of machine work done to fit that unit.

Thank you! Ray

I'll see what I can do. There are different versions of this kit - each version has a slightly different spacer ring, shims, etc.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

Thank you! Ray

I'll see what I can do. There are different versions of this kit - each version has a slightly different spacer ring, shims, etc.

Yes....thank you. I have been looking at CSP's site....ane looking around at everything I can find in the differences between the kits.....and educating myself in the subtle ....actual....differences between the bits and pieces between type 3 and 4.

Once I get all of the differences in measurements which are almost strictly limited to the outer bearing cover and seal.....I will contact CSP and tell them what I have as compared to an actual type 3 and get their recommendation on a kit.
Ray
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

Between house hunting and work I've been absolutely buried so the brakes haven't been finished. I'm hoping to get back to it this weekend.

Ray: I didn't forget about you!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Between house hunting and work I've been absolutely buried so the brakes haven't been finished. I'm hoping to get back to it this weekend.

No sweat! I am stuck in an all day most of the week technical conference anyway. Ray
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

No sweat! I am stuck in an all day most of the week technical conference anyway. Ray

My calipers don't fit inside the bearing cover so I attempted to use my metric tape measure to gauge the depth. It's not super accurate but it looks to be about 13mm deep where the bearing will sit.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

Thank you!....that does tell me something. Same bearing cover casting but different machine work.
So the type 3 bearing protrudes outward more....but uses the same thickness backing plate.
So.....I should be able to work with the CSP caliper bracket casting....the stock type 4 stub axle and the type 4 bearing cover.

The rotor position should be the same because we use the same drum and backiny plate. Ray
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

So now that I'm healthy again and my work schedule isn't nuts - I'm waiting for my fabricated brake lines to be ready for pick up. I tried to make the kit parts work together in a way that looks like it'll work long-term but I can't leave it alone.

Goal is to replace the three lines in the photo below with two lines (both stainless braided lines). While it's all apart - I'm having stainless braided lines made for the front disc brakes to remove an adapter.

The plan is to have this all installed mid next week.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
So now that I'm healthy again and my work schedule isn't nuts - I'm waiting for my fabricated brake lines to be ready for pick up. I tried to make the kit parts work together in a way that looks like it'll work long-term but I can't leave it alone.

Goal is to replace the three lines in the photo below with two lines (both stainless braided lines). While it's all apart - I'm having stainless braided lines made for the front disc brakes to remove an adapter.

Is that rust resistant copper plated brake line I see there? Ray
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Is that rust resistant copper plated brake line I see there? Ray

It is. That line will be eliminated, however, when I install the braided stainless lines. I will also eliminate the bracket that CSP includes at the spring plate to reduce the total required length of the brake line. Would this work with the standard parts and the bracket? Possibly. I definitely think CSP should create a Type 3 only kit instead of making one kit fit all three platforms because the design clearly favors the Type 1 rear end - the bracket that goes on the spring plate aligns much better with the brake line routing on the Type 1 (parallel to the axle tube) vs. the Type 3 that runs parallel to the spring plate and around the shock.

If the hose shop can get the correct fitting (circled in red in the photo below), I'll replace all three lines with one while still using the stock bracket that's parallel to the spring plate. The total run from the hard line at the subframe to the caliper is about 22" so it's not all that long for a stainless braided line properly supported at the stock mount locations with no tight bends.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

have you done stainless braided hoses before? personally, I don't like them. there is no play, brakes seem like they are either on or off

my reference is an MK2 16v GTI that I daily drove. It had been significantly lightened and neuspeed suspension, stainless lines, but was otherwise stock, compared to my mk2 jetta 16v GLI with upgraded corrado brakes and neuspeed suspension but rubber lines

With no ABS I just really felt like my brakes were a switch, all on or all off. like for instance I was taught in a panic stop to slam on the brakes then slightly back off to not lock up. I couldnt do that on the GTI

maybe it's just me. I do prefer the banjo fittings where possible. I remember my first time with a car with those I thought "this is brilliant, why don't all cars use these"...
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
have you done stainless braided hoses before? personally, I don't like them. there is no play, brakes seem like they are either on or off

my reference is an MK2 16v GTI that I daily drove. It had been significantly lightened and neuspeed suspension, stainless lines, but was otherwise stock, compared to my mk2 jetta 16v GLI with upgraded corrado brakes and neuspeed suspension but rubber lines

With no ABS I just really felt like my brakes were a switch, all on or all off. like for instance I was taught in a panic stop to slam on the brakes then slightly back off to not lock up. I couldnt do that on the GTI

maybe it's just me. I do prefer the banjo fittings where possible. I remember my first time with a car with those I thought "this is brilliant, why don't all cars use these"...

I have a decent amount of experience with stainless braided brake lines. I had them on my 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 and, other than a firmer brake pedal, I didn't notice a huge change. I've got them on my current DD (2015 Volvo V60 RDesign) and there is a slight improvement but the car is heavy and the brakes are rear-biased anyway.

The cost of these lines isn't crazy so if I put them on and hate them, I can fairly easily change them (same hose shop can make rubber hoses) and I won't be out a lot of money.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: CSP Rear Disc Brakes - review, installation and impression Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Eric.....what you experienced....and it is what is not explained by the companies making the steel braided hoses in general and teflon core braided hoses in specific......is this lack of system flex and what it changes.

Yes....if the hoses have no growth or flex under compression.....it CAN change the RATE of onset of ABS systems. That is partly a programming issue.
But......what it also does is because it causes quicker onset of HIGHER initial brake pressure under hard stopping......it can make the current friction code of pad being used....either too aggressive.....meaning it changes the initial bite (brakes grab too hard).....or it can make them too soft because the initial bite pressure is higher and pads with a,lower coefficient of friction.....and they heat up and shed material and gas quicker than than they would normally.

Thie is not saying the benefits of stainless braided teflon hose are bad.....just that with many cars.....you will need to retune what you have......pad friction material, sometimes front to rear brake bias, sometimes rear regulation pressure (if you have a rear regulator) etc.....and depending on the car and its factory designed brake performance level....you may see the effects magnified.
Cars that are high performance designs tend to have the ABS programming, pad friction code, brake bias/balance.....and operating pressures closer to the ragged edge.....because they are designed for higher performance.

I cannot say that for sure for American cars.....but I can tell you for sure on vehicles like the GTI/GLI, Honda S-2000 and the Subaru WRX class of cars......I have seen these exact issues when owners make any significant changes in the brake system......to include......higher or lower viscosity brake fluid, friction material upgrades, greatly different tire size......and teflon/braided brake lines.

This is no different many engine upgrades. When one puts a different exhaust or ignition system on an engine.....without retuning......you see either no change/benefit....and there could be ir you tuned for it.....or a negative change....because you do not tune to use the benefits the new part has to offer the combination.

That being said.....the drawbacks of teflon/braided lines is that teflon is very brittle. It has plenty of pressure capability when its supported....and it is supported by rubber and steel braid......but lousey bend radius and horrendous impact strength.
You must be very, very careful in handling and bending these hoses when installing and doing maintenance. You should think in advance....and make a point or hole as a hook location...and make a leash to hold the caliper in a safe configuration.....and put that in the glove box.....so that anytime you do maintenance that involves removing the caliper.....you can safely hang them up so they NEVER rest or put strain on the brake lines.

All of that being said.....the possible changes to the ABS system.....and the crack risk....is why there is NOT ONE.....teflon braided line that is DOT CERTIFIED. There is not one OEM that uses teflon braided lines because they are not DOT CERTIFIED.

They use very careful language......like DOT SPEC.....and DOT COMPLIANT.....which accurately states that these hoses meet or exceed all DOT specs for brake hoses......but that is not exactly the same as DOT CERTIFIED.
Also.....some are DOT certified....for off road or industrial use.

This is not saying I would not use them. My VW 412 has stainless teflon hoses on it. Great benefit. Excellent modification.
But.....you have to be very careful and diligent in handling the hoses and in maintenance. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: