Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel stud info needed
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
asbill71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Wheel stud info needed Reply with quote

I have weld Draglites to run on my bug. I want to run the long press in wheel studs. My question is this. I have 4 lug drums and rotors with 14mm threaded holes. What size knurl should I get, and what size should I drill out the 14mm holes. Thanks in advance for any info.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel stud info needed Reply with quote

What size knurl should I get, and what size should I drill out the 14mm holes?

You should be able to back into your numbers by measuring what you have... and the following...

From the ARP website:
If your axle/hub material is cast iron or steel, your drill size will be 0.005” smaller than the knurl diameter.
If your axle/hub material is aluminum, your drill size will be 0.007” less than the knurl diameter.

http://arp-bolts.com/p/FAQ.php

If you don't use ARP studs... look for similar info from whatever manufacturer you choose.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel stud info needed Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=press+in+wheel+studs
Per John @ aircooled.net:
"To properly press in these studs simply drill out your lug holes to 9/16",
then they press in! In a pinch you can pull them in with an impact gun, washers, and some grease!"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel stud info needed Reply with quote

I'm sorting through this type of information at the moment, for my 4-bolt rotors which have the stock 14 mm X 1.5 threads. The same recommendation came with my studs, to use a 9/16" drill bit.

However, in searching further, it seems that some have recommended using the more uncommon 37/64". Apparently the 9/16" can potentially cause knurl or rotor damage depending on knurl size.

Some brands recommend 0.005"+ interference fit and others say 0.017"+.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel stud info needed Reply with quote

I had to use a 37/64" drill bit as the 9/16" was too tight and damaged the knurls on the first stud I tried. Was pretty cranky as I had spent $45 on the 9/16" bit and then had to spend the same again on one that worked.

brad
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel stud info needed Reply with quote

Brad,

Can the threads be drilled out on a basic bench drill press? Or should I pay a machine shop to drill and "press in" the studs?

Thanks.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel stud info needed Reply with quote

I had to use a big 17" drill press to do mine. I tried a smaller one but it wouldn't cut and the bit kept sticking, If you have a big drill press it's easy.

"EDIT"I was drilling rotors though not drums. I've done drums on smaller machines

brad
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel stud info needed Reply with quote

Thanks, I have rotors also.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel stud info needed Reply with quote

You can do it yourself, Neil, if you have access to the equipment. I've drilled both type 1 drums and Ghia rotors for Porsche studs, and 37/64" was the size.I still have the drill bit and 5x130mm jig in my tool box, which is good because I'm going to be putting type 3 rear brakes on the car soon. While the press fit was only a few thou and it was a little work to press the studs in, I did consult a machinist friend who said that any more was not needed and it could cause problems (such as Brad experienced). And, as Brad mentioned, you need a big drill press to turn a bit that big.

Hope this helps, Neil. Al

PS- practise on a junk drum first...
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel stud info needed Reply with quote

Thanks, Al. Much appreciated!

I still haven't decided what to do yet. Leaning towards picking up a 37/64" drill bit, but then having a machinist do the work with the proper equipment.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel stud info needed Reply with quote

I plan on doing press on studs to my wide five drums. Is spot facing necessary to the back of the drum for the studs to seat properly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel stud info needed Reply with quote

I am doing the same thing to my wide five drums, and i will definitely spot face them on the backside, the rear face is not flat as it is, and if you dont spot face Before installation you will introduce bending to the studs when torquing and they are not meant to take those additional loads. I am sure lots of people have been running press in studs without spot facing and have had success, but for my own peace of mind i will do what i consider is "correct". But first i need to find a friend with a mill/drill press and an indexing table....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel stud info needed Reply with quote

mkbug wrote:
I plan on doing press on studs to my wide five drums. Is spot facing necessary to the back of the drum for the studs to seat properly?

just an update - I drilled the drums myself to 9/16. You have to drill smaller first then up to the 9/16 size. With that done I tried to hammer in a stud, but that took too long and risked ruining the treads due to the way I had to hold it in a vise.
What worked best was using a press. It was a two person job just to hold everything in alignment.

The back of my drum was flat so I didn't have to spot face.

Good Luck
Martin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: