Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nasty exhaust leak on cylinder number 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Nasty exhaust leak on cylinder number 4 Reply with quote

I tried the search and surprisingly couldn't find an answer to this one. I'm sorting an 86 Westfalia (2.1) I recently bought and found a pretty bad exhaust leak on number 4, pictured below. Rear left cylinder for those unaware. It's leaking on the top side and I has just gotten much more noticeable. This van sat for a long time before I took ownership a couple weeks ago and I just got it to a drivable state. Anyway, I can see the that the gasket has partially desintigrated looking down from the top where it is leaking. It looks ok from the bottom in this pic but it isn't.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My question, if I can loosen some bolts (they don't look too bad), is it possible to get enough room there to push out the old gasket and slide in a new one without dropping the whole exhaust?

TIA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nasty exhaust leak on cylinder number 4 Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but when I pulled my WBX for a TDI swap, I found that there were cracks in the exhaust near the head on both #1 and #3 ports. They were clean breaks that might've been there for a while. I sold that engine, but ran a weld bead over the cracks prior to selling. I suspect this might be a common occurrence with these engines now that the original exhaust bits are over thirty years old now.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Nasty exhaust leak on cylinder number 4 Reply with quote

Heat the nuts using a torch, loosen the flange, insert new gasket, tighten back up the flange.

Done.

You'll be trurly amazed at how easy the nuts back off.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty exhaust leak on cylinder number 4 Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Gasket on order and I'll check the welds closely, but I can definitely see that the gasket is bad so I'm hoping that's it.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty exhaust leak on cylinder number 4 Reply with quote

recommend new bolts, with ample antisieze on them, but yes you should be able to slip a gasket in as you propose. and yes per other post, cracks can occur in the pipes, happened to mine.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty exhaust leak on cylinder number 4 Reply with quote

The metal of the elbow is probably paper thin, this will cause the elbow to crank and/or get holes in it. You can weld it up by making dozens of little tacks on it with a wire feed and then once you get enough metal laid down go back and run some beads over it. Ugly as sin but it will work for a long time.

If the mating surface of the flange is bad you can add weld metal to the face and then grind it flat.

Buying a new pipe is the solution if you don't have the equipment and skills to do the welding.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty exhaust leak on cylinder number 4 Reply with quote

The hardware holding the exhaust on to the head is aged, stuck and brittle.
Be very very VERY CAREFUL removing them for the odds of them breaking are quite high and the difficulty in removing the broken bits from the head mounted on the engine is also very high.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Nasty exhaust leak on cylinder number 4 Reply with quote

I just discovered a leaking gasket on my #3 cylinder and tried the fix in this thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672515

While that guy used the clamp on his pipe and not on the joint between the pipe flange and head, I figured I have nothing to lose with state inspection coming up. If it fails, that probably means a new exhaust system rather than just a repair, and I'd rather pospone that joy for as long as I can. I test-fitted the clamp and that reduced the exhaust leak sound, but I took it further and used some Permatex Copper RTV Silicone, as recommended in the other thread, that I worked into the joint before applying the clamp for its final installation. I seems to work, has silenced the leak for now, and I do not risk breaking off studs or bolts removing the system just to replace a gasket. That fun will have to wait. If you have not already attempted unbolting yours, this might be worth a try. Good luck!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Nasty exhaust leak on cylinder number 4 Reply with quote

And how far have you driven with the miracle silicone "fix" ?
A block or two?

There is nothing holding it in place.
It'll blow outa there pretty quick.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Nasty exhaust leak on cylinder number 4 Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
And how far have you driven with the miracle silicone "fix" ?
A block or two?

There is nothing holding it in place.
It'll blow outa there pretty quick.

Copper silicone is rated at 700°F intermittent, he will exceed that handily the first time he puts the engine under a good load. Bye, bye silicone at that point JB Weld would hold for much longer.
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty exhaust leak on cylinder number 4 Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The metal of the elbow is probably paper thin, this will cause the elbow to crank and/or get holes in it. You can weld it up by making dozens of little tacks on it with a wire feed and then once you get enough metal laid down go back and run some beads over it. Ugly as sin but it will work for a long time.

If the mating surface of the flange is bad you can add weld metal to the face and then grind it flat.

Buying a new pipe is the solution if you don't have the equipment and skills to do the welding.

Wildthings, that's twice today. I figured this out a week ago but you were spot on. I removed my AC compressor (not working anyway) to have some space to work and figured out it wasn't my gasket at all. It was indeed a leak at the header flange. I cleaned up best I could and welded it up just as you said. A mechanic friend of mine gave me the same advice as you. spot, spot, spot and then once you have some fresh metal to weld to, go to town. It's ugly but worked great. Nice quiet Vanagon again.

Before

After

atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Nasty exhaust leak on cylinder number 4 Reply with quote

fixing those pipes is a game of frustration that makes buying new headers a relief.

i patched them like you are doing for a few months. one broke clean off on the way home one day. when you think about the fact that there can be flames, or certainly gases as hot as fire, shooting into your engine bay, with your rubber fuel lines, brittle plastic wires, etc, you should seriously reconsider patching headers. yes you patched the hole, but what about the other paper thing parts of the metal?

bus depot had the best price when i finally did mine. i think it was about $100 each, and i did them both. the muffler and rest of the pipes got some R&R, but those

the muffler, sure. slap another bean tin on there every month. not as much of a safety issue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: