Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

the fill grommet can be changed at a later time with the tank inplace/mounted.

it's really not as big a task as many make it out to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

It does not look like it has been leaking. I don't really see signs of diesel tracks down the side of that tank. And diesel would attract all kinds of dirt to stick to it.

I had the tank completely full several times last summer.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the fill grommet can be changed at a later time with the tank inplace/mounted.

it's really not as big a task as many make it out to be.

Good to know... I will keep my eyes open for one or two! ...and just keep using this existing one for now.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

the other 3 grommets came today... ($4 each!!)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

Got the top of the tank cleaned and preped for painting... I think this tank is only a few years old. Lucky me this time Smile

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

Impatiently painting the upper side of the tank - since nobody will see this anyway... I made a little mistake. I had wire wheeled the whole thing thoroughly, but neglected to wipe/wash the whole thing with a solvent or even soap and water. So unfortunately one part of it must have still had some residual oil film on it and the paint didn't "take" to the surface perfectly. However also not so badly and the area is not an area that typically rusts.

Anyhow it is a good reminder about how to paint autobody... totally cleaning of all possible oil and grime is essential.

AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

Paint job looks just fine ...

Before installing, you need to put a short piece of the braided or similar hose on each of the metal vent pipes. Otherwise, it will be extremely difficult to reach in and plug those on once the tank is up and in place..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Paint job looks just fine ...

Before installing, you need to put a short piece of the braided or similar hose on each of the metal vent pipes. Otherwise, it will be extremely difficult to reach in and plug those on once the tank is up and in place..

Yes for sure!

My main question at the moment is to know how far I should go with doing rust treatment in this whole area now that I have the chance. Problem is that it is cold, wet, and nasty at the moment... not nice to work > however, when will be the next time I have the tank, rad, coolant/heater hoses/pipes, shift linkage, ebrake cable ALL OUT!?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

When I had the tank out of my 84 (three times), I used a small paint brush to apply rust resistant paint on seams and existing rust spots for future protection.

So, yes, now is the time to do some touch-up underneath body above the tank as well as preventative prep.

-Don't forget to apply some grease to the shifter components as well.
-Check any ground wire connections that you might be able to see or access.
-Maybe consider replacement rubber on the gas tank supports.
-If the fuel level gauge was working properly and the unit on the tank was not leaking, I'd leave it alone.
-Also examine the return fuel hose on the driver's side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
When I had the tank out of my 84 (three times), I used a small paint brush to apply rust resistant paint on seams and existing rust spots for future protection.

So, yes, now is the time to do some touch-up underneath body above the tank as well as preventative prep.

-Don't forget to apply some grease to the shifter components as well.
-Check any ground wire connections that you might be able to see or access.
-Maybe consider replacement rubber on the gas tank supports.
-If the fuel level gauge was working properly and the unit on the tank was not leaking, I'd leave it alone.
-Also examine the return fuel hose on the driver's side.

Yes... this week luckily we have a mini "heat wave" LOL Cool So this is IT - the unpleasant thing is that the snow has melted rendering the crawl space under the van like a pit of quick sand Very Happy Mad Oh well, time to white knuckle it a bit.

Yes a lot of items on the list...
1. I think just leave the fuel level sender alone.
2. Revamping the shift linkage
3. trying to figure out a way to upgrade the fuel return line - I want part of it to be clear around the engine, and the rest perhaps even steel tubing... still thinking and sourcing on that one. (maybe leave this job for now)
4. replacing all coolant pipes and heater hoses with new hose (currently looking for a solution to the 90* bend going up to the upper rad. input. /// just had rad. professionally cleaned.
5. installing new brake cable.
6. need to source and install throttle cable tubes.... (where to find??)
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

Today I am dealing with the EVAP expansion tanks. Found an excellent vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0wMdgH27I0

I will check the valve on top of the tanks... not even sure what it is for.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

So I managed to remove both EVAP EXP. TANKS, cleaned them, and re-installed (at least temporarily) >>> I honestly don't understand what the valves on the top of those tanks are but I hear that to test them you should shake them and you should hear a 'rattling' inside of them.... I did this and the pass.side rattled loudly, and the dr.side no rattle at all.

Does this mean I should replace that valve on the dr.side?

Re-installation was fun. I had to widen the bolt holes and use washers... and the tank is supposed to be held tightly in place by a protrusion on the tank fitting into an indentation in the van body... seems my tank's protrusion are perhaps too large so this system doesn't work >>>

Anyhow, that one 13mm bolt seems to hold the tanks satisfactorally in place, a bit of bobbing around notwithstanding Very Happy Should I worry about this bobbing?

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

I'm surprised you were able to get those rollover valves* off of there in one piece. I think you can spray carb/brake cleaner in the valve in order to break the varnish glaze that's no doubt preventing the check ball from loosening.

*Those valves are the final vent exits from the tank and thus have the check in them in the event of a vehicle roll over to keep fuel from exiting the tank

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm surprised you were able to get those rollover valves* off of there in one piece.
No I did not pull these valves out of the tanks at all... just left them in and cleaned the tanks. I could shake the tanks and it is totally obvious that one valve rattles and the other does not.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

I think you can spray carb/brake cleaner in the valve in order to break the varnish glaze that's no doubt preventing the check ball from loosening.

So are you saying that the valve that is not rattling is just stuck? Does it mean I should pull it out of that tank - and spray some brake cleaner in from the back side??

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

*Those valves are the final vent exits from the tank and thus have the check in them in the event of a vehicle roll over to keep fuel from exiting the tank

Aha... I get it now! Thanks
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

The rubber looked black and pliable, so I thought you had pulled them. If it's not rattling, then the ball is probably stuck in the open position. I'm pretty skeptical that you can remove the valve intact, and I don't think the rollover valve is as important on a diesel as a gasser, so perhaps you'll be fine leaving them alone.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
The rubber looked black and pliable, so I thought you had pulled them. If it's not rattling, then the ball is probably stuck in the open position. I'm pretty skeptical that you can remove the valve intact, and I don't think the rollover valve is as important on a diesel as a gasser, so perhaps you'll be fine leaving them alone.

Best thing then is to make sure I don't roll over!!! Shocked

...but if it is stuck in the closed position that would not be good. I wonder if there is a way to check if it is open or closed?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

Do not worry about that valve. As long as the grommet is sealing you are OK. If you should ever be on your side the diesel will not be an issue like gasoline would. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Do not worry about that valve. As long as the grommet is sealing you are OK. If you should ever be on your side the diesel will not be an issue like gasoline would. YMMV.

To me the grommet looks pretty healthy!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

Took my time and spent the day installing the fuel tank, finally. The only issue was that I discovered that the large grommet at the filler mouth is rotten and needs replacing before I can install the filler neck. Otherwise it went well although when taking fotos of it afterwards I notices some rust spots on the frame that I didn't see before, and will now be a bit more tricky to grind out with the tank in place.

I think everything underneath is in good order: shift linkage, heater hoses, coolant hoses, throttle cable tubes, rear brake lines, clutch line, electrical wires...

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank removal and service ('81 diesel) Reply with quote

The most difficult part of the job which I did today was to get the filler neck on and those 3 little screws in. I guess it was difficult because the parts are old and a bit bend up... It was very difficult to get all the holes lined up to put the screws thru - I finally managed it by first putting 3 long screws thru from the inside out. Then with 3 screws sticking out the front I could fit the outer on that and then put the screws thru the front.

It was nice to finally get this done and all the diesel back into the tank.

The project is slowly getting somewhere now....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: