Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1302Felix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my '72 1600cc 1302S.
I bought it as my first car over 4 years ago with 44,000 (verified) miles on the clock. After 16,000 miles with me and 4 years outside in the British weather, it's time for some work.

The main objectives are welding to the rear arches, doors and an engine rebuild. But I also plan to get it sprayed in it's original Kasan Red and to give it a sort of 70's street look (black side stripe, big Hella fogs and dished, shiny GT wheels).

I'm currently in France, working as a teaching assistant to build up some funds for this project, but I finish in April and am very excited to get going on it.

If anyone has any suggestions (or lives near me to the South of London and can offer some much needed assistance Wink ) please let me know. We've had lots of Dubs but I'm a proper amateur and need any help I can get. Updates will be slow to start but I'll try to keep this going

Enjoy!
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

I don't see it needing anything.
So your Refresh/Rebuild
sounds to be more
customize, modify, and personalize.

I'm sure you can source what you need.

nice car, bummer
each his own
1302Felix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

hahaha,

Didn't think my mention of a vinyl stripe and some fog lights would upset the purists. It's a lovely original car and I plan to keep it that way, nothing irreversible. also you don't see it needing anything because you have 4 not very good pictures of the car in front of you, I have 4 years of owning and driving it behind me
Bruskyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

which wheels are on there now? I'd love to have mine back to that silver color.
Past vws: 1977 Champagne Edition I Bus (Cedar)1991 Capri Green Wolfsburg Jetta 1978 Sage Green(Taiga) Transporter 2.0 FI (Paddy) 1980 Inca Brown Rabbit Diesel LS 1969 Karmann (funky weird blue that wasn't original) Ghia Autostick 1991 Bordeaux Red Vanagon GL 1992 Tornado Red GTI 8V
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

Great looking car. I would lower the front a bit and continue to drive it happily. Other than maintenance and needed repairs, none else needed here Wink
1302Felix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

Bruskyvw wrote:
which wheels are on there now? I'd love to have mine back to that silver color.

These are the 'sport' wheels that were available on the GT beetle here in the UK, I much prefer them to the stock steel wheels and plan to add an inch's width to them and either polish them up or paint them Smile
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

That is a good looking Super for sure. The red is a nice color and how lucky can you be to have that be the factory color - so all the inside and under hood stuff already has it Very Happy

If by welding the rear arches you mean behind and below the rear window vents, I have seen a lot of threads on here about that area. You could probably search with "death foam" to find some of the threads because there is insulating foam in there that holds water and lots of people have to sort out that trouble spot.

On the wheels I just saw a thread on here with a guy who picked up a super with those, but the rear ones were 5.5 inches wide and the front were 4.5. The wide ones came from some particular model bug and locating some of those would save a heap of work on widening the wheels.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
1302Felix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

These are fairly old pics, the paint is quite awful these days and does need doing quite badly, this just means it makes sense to tackle the welding and other bits I've always wanted to do. I appreciate the car for what it is, so don't worry everyone it's not getting bagged and chopped...
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

Here is the link to the build that has your wheels, with 4.5 up front but they are 5.5 in the back and they talk about the model that had those. Hope it saves you some crazy welding!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667695
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

Seems the sport wheels are making a resurgence.
I've got them on my 74 1303. The 5.5" 914 versions with the ET40 offset in front sit nicely within the wheel well. And the 5.5"bug versions with ET26 fill the rear well.
Though am considering widening the fronts to 7" and rears to 8". Maybe bumping diameter to 16"?
We will. Just money, right?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1302Felix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

Well, she's at the shop!
It was a hairy 15 or so miles (hadn't been driven in a while) but couldn't be in better hands really. Vacuum leak has been rectified and apparently is running sweet again. I'm busy with work at the moment so the garage is going to carry out a service and give me an estimate for the welding that needs doing (he said on the phone to prepare for the worst, looks worse than first thought...)
1302Felix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

Uh Oh!
Went to check on the Bug today and my mechanic has uncovered this nice surprise - the rare "Tyre Tread inspection access hole" option.
He's getting going on the welding and the car should be back in my drive and (vaguely) road legal next week.
I'm going to do the brakes, ball joints and sort a few electrical gremlins before I get it to a bodyshop for a paint quote and an idea of what needs doing.
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

1302Felix wrote:
Went to check on the Bug today and my mechanic has uncovered this nice surprise - the rare "Tyre Tread inspection access hole" option.

Ha! I think you'll find that 'tyre tread inspection hole' is a pretty standard option on UK cars - I had two on mine! Laughing

If you're really 'lucky' you'll have similar holes at the front too...
1302Felix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

After 2 long months and most of my savings, the bug is back with a working horn, a *mostly* solid chassis and an MOT!

Washing the moss off it was as far as I got today - hottest day so far in England is not the day for aircooled shenanigans. Tomorrow I'm going to write a job list

nx6h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

Nice to see you kept the correct number plates . There seems a real recent fashion to fit black pressed plates to seventies cars .
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

That looks a whole lot better! They did a nice job closing up that hole.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

Nice car. If that's all the rust you found, you'll be okay.

As far as weather here in Northern California, we got to 113 F here yesterday. I don't know what that is in Celcius, but it's not a good day to walk my Westies (dogs, not buses). It's also a good day to drive my deal sol with air conditioning. I don't drive my bug when it gets close to 100 F. I'm getting too old for that shit, I guess. And it really messes up my hair Wink .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
1302Felix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

I did have some black pressed plates but the originals are so much cooler.

Having done a bit of a walk around today I've decided that the priority is to get two solid doors and a drivers' front wing on this thing (if anyone knows of any in the South-East of England or near Birmingham please let me know)

Apart from that, it needs all new door and window seals and other perished bits. I probably won't replace these until it's been painted.

Speaking of which, could someone please do me a quick step by step on how to prep this car for the paint shop, it's going same colour but I need to make it as cheap as poss so would like to do everything except hold the paint gun myself!

Thanks very much!
1302Felix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

Visited a VW breaker today before work and managed to score two solid late model doors for £150 which is quite a deal imo.

They came off the black bug pictured and have been modified to fit one-piece windows but I'll be putting my quarter lights in.

The red bug here is a reminder of how bad things could have been for mine!
1302Felix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1302S Refresh/Rebuild Reply with quote

Fitted a new exhaust today, finally got some taper tips back on, much prefer the sound and look.

Unfortunately the blow I could hear was coming from just behind the muffler, on the J-Tube, so that's another job for my friend's list of things to weld...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: