Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Montehms 67 Prairie Square
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Good job this weekend at the show! The car looked great in there. I had a bunch of people asking me if I knew the guy with the cool blue vw wagon.

Let me know when things calm down for you a little, and you are ready discuss engines. Twisted Evil I will swing over one night and we can get a plan together.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys. The show was an awesome time and it was interesting to sit in the bleachers and watch the reaction of the event goers as they looked at he car.

Yesterday I went to the local Tandy Leathers and asked about having a strap made for my luggage rack. The nice woman smiled at me and said they don't do customer request work there BUT told me I could do it and she'd give me the class. I smiled back and said, "Kick-ass! Let do it! Brenda showed me the belt-like pieces I'd be choosing from along with fastener, buckles and dyes. I had a great time there learning how to work leather and I have plans to make a few more for the rack and my trailer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So the blue strap is now gone. Need to find suitable replacements for the bungees
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

That has to be fun showing at a V8 event..
I really want to de-badge my car for just that reason! Twisted Evil

Leave the decklid closed and the frunk open - sit and watch the fun..

Spend time with your Dad when you can.

And, hey, if you wanna build a motor when you get here,
I know a guy who has a place and some of the right parts and tools. Wink

Crazily enough, there is still Volks Café down the street from me,
And they have all of those little this's and that's to build VW motors hanging all over the wall in shrink-wrap, just like the old days.

Makes it easy to run and grab some little thing you might need..

Just sayin'.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
That has to be fun showing at a V8 event..
I really want to de-badge my car for just that reason! Twisted Evil

Leave the decklid closed and the frunk open - sit and watch the fun..

Spend time with your Dad when you can.

And, hey, if you wanna build a motor when you get here,
I know a guy who has a place and some of the right parts and tools. Wink

Crazily enough, there is still Volks Café down the street from me,
And they have all of those little this's and that's to build VW motors hanging all over the wall in shrink-wrap, just like the old days.

Makes it easy to run and grab some little thing you might need..

Just sayin'.. Wink

I need to get back and help my sister. She's handling it with both parents and there's a lot to do. My personal plans will be going on hold but it's cool as my parents sacrificed a lot for us kids and it's the least I can do for them.

The Counts Show is big up here. There were two other large rooms and halls showing as well. Sterlings, drifters, tuners, and others. Also there were some cars big-time national level winners from the G3 Rod shop. Fun event to see people look, lean into each other then look again. Most rewarding to me were the old-timer hotrod guys commending me for my work and effort which paid off.

I need to start planning my engine build. I have my trailer project to complete and have been focusing on it along with a few small things on the square. I want to road trip to Devils Tower in it as there is a show out there and I think it would make for some nice pics.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

This evening was spent getting my 8track back to working order. The day of the show the band jumped the wheel and rendered playing a tape INOP. I pulled the unit out and opened it up with the help of the initial owners diagram and notes.

Once back together, I looked at the cardstock cover and felt it was time to replace it. A quick trip the local Hobby Lobby found a very close and suitable replacement material - Frame matting. I cut a pattern, wet the corner sections where the fold would be and soaked it until it folded on its own.

Made a cardboard spacer, clamped it down and am leaving it to dry overnight.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Does anyone have a source for the hinge screws for pop-windows? Thanks in advance...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Does anyone have a source for the hinge screws for pop-windows? Thanks in advance...

I got them at ACE hardware store. My local ACE has a box of small metric screws that you can purchase individually.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

I got them at ACE hardware store. My local ACE has a box of small metric screws that you can purchase individually.

I must have passed them up while searching containers. I’ll hit the other ACE in town to find some. Thanks!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Last couple of days have been productive in completing my trailer but not so good with the car. Ignition problems, mainly the distro had me broke down twice in a week. I thought I had it taken care of the first time and after the second instance I swapped the distro. Along with my roadside troubleshooting, my accelerator cable snapped off at the edge of the pivot point inserts into the screw pin that has supports the linkage (sorry, cant recall the name of that piece). In the end, the square took a tow of shame back to the house. I ordered a Petronix hot coil and electronic points and am waiting on them to arrive. On top of the mechanical issue I had, another incident took place that caused some damage to one of my fender skirts during that ride. One of the brackets welds failed and it came off. I didn't know I had lost one of them but after tracing my route, I was able to recover it. No dents or bends just alot of scrapes, scratches and chips so I'm stripping it for a re-shoot of paint and clear. I have enough paint for that as I finished painting my trailer last week. Overall a depressing week. Now snow is on the ground so the weather isn't cooperating.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Damn, breaking down is bad enough but scratching up your paint is the worst! Evil or Very Mad Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Damn, breaking down is bad enough but scratching up your paint is the worst! Evil or Very Mad Wink

All part of the experience which has been good for me regardless of the issues. I don't take the car and its' issues for granted. I'm always looking and checking it and trying to make it better as best I can. I didn't take that particular piece into consideration. I will now though Surprised
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

It beats a dent from a shovel handle while sitting in the garage any day.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Our sea sand '67 turned out to have a perfect body & original paint except for the dent/scratch 15 year old then, Jack put in the door with long garden sheers when we were cutting it out of the blackberries! Woman owned cream puff when we bought it & we dinged it up immediately. Rolling Eyes
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Last couple of days have been spent in getting the coil and distro swapped out. Also replaced the brushes in my generator and replaced my accelerator cable. Will be doing a valve job and reset timing when the weather gets better as we're expecting possible flurries this evening.

The scratched up fender skirt had the paint removed and re-smoothed out and primed. Have some guide coat on it and need to sand it down one more time before sealing it for paint.

Also, my side project is coming along nicely and anticipate having it completed in about two weeks or so...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Love the trailer Mont. Looking good!
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Cars looking good too!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Last couple of days have been spent in getting the coil and distro swapped out. Also replaced the brushes in my generator and replaced my accelerator cable. Will be doing a valve job and reset timing when the weather gets better as we're expecting possible flurries this evening.

The scratched up fender skirt had the paint removed and re-smoothed out and primed. Have some guide coat on it and need to sand it down one more time before sealing it for paint.

Also, my side project is coming along nicely and anticipate having it completed in about two weeks or so...

Car and your trailer project are looking good. Shame you don't have a set of spinners to run on the rear when you have the spats off (makes for a different look too). But the car-trailer combo is sweet. Got any more pics of the trailer?
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys.

Bobnotch, check out my trailer rebuild link in my sig block. Been posting to it on that build. Very Happy
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Almost have my side project completed. then back to a couple smaller ones! Few more pics in my trailer thread. Enjoy...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

That trailer came out sweet with all the work you put into it. Cool Great job. I bet it was nice having a fairly small project (size wise) in the garage to work on, compared to when you were doing the Square. Wink
The rolling combo will look good going down the highway, or pulling in some place to eat. Be prepared to answer a lot of questions, as you know that will be coming (and you thought the car was bringing people out of the woodwork Wink ). Have fun and enjoy sitting back watching people check out your hard work.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 69 of 75

Jump to: