Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help before I break it
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jensenflagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Help before I break it Reply with quote

The button on the driver side vent window locking latch ('63 hardtop bug) has suddenly frozen, won't push in so I can't turn the latch. But the latch itself seems kind of loose (not from the vent window but within the mechanism). I sprayed liquid wrench and tried to force it in, than I hit it (lightly) with a hammer, no luck. How does this thing work? Anybody have a diagram? I see a small hole that may hold a pin, can that be removed?

Much thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help before I break it Reply with quote

Maybe 'squeeze' it in with a pair of pliers or channel locks. (one 'jaw' on the outside of the lower window frame. The other 'jaw' on the button.) Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jensenflagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help before I break it Reply with quote

Thanks but that is what I did and it didn't budge. I did not want to apply too much pressure, the resistance seemed pretty solid.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help before I break it Reply with quote

I believe it is held on with a roll pin, but someone who has one handy can take a photograph and describe it better.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help before I break it Reply with quote

remove the pin, and the latch should come apart, you should find a coil spring and the plunger (button) that come out, I think there is also a washer, but not sure on the washer. maybe the spring got broken and cuaght in the mechanism. dont use too much force or hard tools on the button else the chrome can be damaged. after market latchs are around, but I found the chrome on them to be inferior to the stock ones. and depending on your year of bug, the design is different on the handle, some had a ridge along the length of handle, others are smoother It hink the change happened around abput the time that the dash trim went from poity edns to more rounded, ie early 1960s or so.

so anyway, get the right sized punch or even a nail with the tip filed flat and a small hammer and gentely drive out the pin. if spring is broke take the peices to a hardware store that stocks springs and find a close match. grease the parts for reassembly, use a non staining white grease as you dont want black grease to to get on your fingers when opening the window, it will make a mess on your clothes.

good luck

ps very nice looking bug you have there!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jensenflagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help before I break it Reply with quote

thanks for the help. I'll take another look at it tomorrow with a better understanding of what's inside.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: