Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting a 64 back on the road.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

Actually been running decent lately, but only doing short runs. Went out yesterday and drove it for 30 minutes or so on a little longer trip. Did very well until I was almost home and it stalled at a stoplight. Pushed it off, got out of the car and tapped on the carb and it started back up. My theory is a slightly sticky needle valve. Pulled it and spun it on a drill and sprayed some lubricant in it to free it up. I did notice the engine was around the magic 200 degree mark again when this happened. Thoughts?

Also, the idle seems really low right now. I have adjusted the volume control screw and with the idle adjustment screw all the way in it will not idle any higher. I am reading on a few threads about rich/lean and I'm somewhat confused. A few pages back someone mentioned vacuum leaks. I have sprayed around the manifold ports and nothing changes. When I spray around the throttle shaft there is a noticeable change. Does this indicate a rebush is needed? I don't think there is significant play front to back. Spark plugs are new, should I pull them to see what color they are? Should I replace the jets to insure they are correct for the carburetor?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

Does the idle drop off suddenly when you turn in the volume control screw somewhere between 2.5 to 1.5 turns?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Does the idle drop off suddenly when you turn in the volume control screw somewhere between 2.5 to 1.5 turns?

If it is idling and I start to screw it in, yes it does drop off fairly suddenly. I set it initially by screwing it all the way in and backing it out about 3 1/2 turns. Cranked the engine, let it warm up and then screwed it back in until it started to drop off and backed it out a turn or so. I did look at the main jet when I rebuilt it and it was correct. I didn't look at the other two, but am planning on taking it apart and seeing if I can find any markings indicating what size are on it. I was considering just changing them anyways to ensure they were correct and completely clean.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

Should be about a half turn out from when it drops off.

You need a jetting gauge to check sizes...
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Should be about a half turn out from when it drops off.

You need a jetting gauge to check sizes...

Ok, I went out and screwed it in until is drops and backed it out a little over 1/2 a turn. Still seems low. Think I am going to head to the shop tomorrow and see if they have the correct jets and just replace them. The main one is marked, but I didn't see any markings that I remember on the other two. I guess though, that even if they are correct, they could have some build up in them? I did soak them for a bit, but not overnight. Might need to try that as well and see if any difference.

Also getting an intermittent starting issue. Every once in awhile I turn the key and you can hear a click, but nothing. Sometimes I can wiggle the key a little and it seems to work, other times if I let it sit and try it again later it turns. I am wondering if it may have a sticky solenoid. Add that to my "to do" list the next time I get a free day.

Last edited by Sharp64 on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

Have seen plenty of jets be off a size or two, even when brand new.

Now adjust the throttle arm screw to raise up the idle RPM.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Have seen plenty of jets be off a size or two, even when brand new.

Now adjust the throttle arm screw to raise up the idle RPM.

Its all the way in already which is my problem.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

Where you able to get the problem fixed?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Where you able to get the problem fixed?

Depends on your definition of fixed. Does it run? Yes. Is the idle screw all the way in still? Yes. Zero adjustment. I have another carb with the power jet that I think I'm going to send out and have the bushing checked and maybe a rebuild and see if putting that on helps. It may be a vacuum leak that's causing the lack of adjustability. I ended up going one jet larger.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

Well it's been over a year since I purchased Harvey and have spent a fair amount of time fiddling and getting some things in order. It's been fun. Figured I would toss some pics I took this morning after washing it before heading to a small local event.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's still green on the inside but every estimate I've gotten starts at around $5k which isn't going to happen right now. If ever. So I'm driving it and enjoying it. As the local parts guy said "it's a driver and cool. Don't mess with it".
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

Love that green , any idea what color its called?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Love that green , any idea what color its called?

You can access the "Archives" at upper right. Scroll down to 1964 and check out the literature there. The "Bug Colors" shows Java Green as a probable.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

The car was originally Java Green, but was painted another color of green at some point which is what the interior is. I don't think it's a VW color, at least not that I've seen. I really like the color as well and have tried to find someone to repaint just the outside but as mentioned keep getting $5k+ quotes even with me bringing in a disassembled car. Just not in the budget. I've also considered trying to strip the white off but I'm truly not a huge fan of the patina look and knowing that at least the drivers door and quarter had some previous damage makes me leery of going this route.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

thats super nice. Glad you're enjoying your beetle.

pulling the body of mine on saturday... woooooo
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
thats super nice. Glad you're enjoying your beetle.

pulling the body of mine on saturday... woooooo

Thank you. What it lacks in purdy, it makes up in rustfreeness considering what I've read about here and seen in person. I still need/want to pull the engine and replace the tarboards and some of the cooling tin, but haven't gotten the nerve up yet to do it. Especially since I know it will take it out of commission for a few weeks and this is the best time of the year to drive it.

Seriously, if I didn't already have plans with the family on Saturday I would head over and help you out with that.

There was a cool little show over at Napeltons on East Colonial this weekend called Air2Water. Totally free and the dealership cleared all their inventory out of the showroom and front parking. They put a bunch of ACVWs in the showroom area and all the watercooled out in the parking lot. The wife and I went for a little and it was nice.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

keep me in the loop on these central FL shows. I don't know whats going on.

if you need to pull the engine lmk, I bought an ATV jack to do it and it helps
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:

I actually picked one up off of CL for this exact purpose. If I hear or anything I'll let you know.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a 64 back on the road. Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:

I actually picked one up off of CL for this exact purpose. If I hear or anything I'll let you know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: