Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve clearances keep changing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

I'm reassembling my engine and have got to the part where I'm setting valve clearances. I've not changed the head or valves. I have changed the adjusting screws for new one from Aircooled as the old ones were a unevenly worn/flattened.

I set each cylinder (going 1-2-3-4 per Bentley) to 0.006". But when I recheck after turning the crank a few times, the clearances changed. So re-did them again and checked again. Even now, sometimes I'll get a 0.007 on a valve even though I had set it to 0.006".

I know the screws do not contact the valve ends in the center, but are offset to cause the valve to rotate. So could it be that the ends are not evenly worn and sometimes I am getting a low point reading? Just a wild guess.

Anything else I should consider?

If my guess is right? Is it better to set it so that it varies from 0.005 to 006" or from 0.006-0.007?

Thanks!
Byas
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

You are on the right track. The base circle of some cams does not give the same lash all around. Just check so it isn't too tight somewhere. .005 is fine with the stock cam and pushrods.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

Using a stock pulley? If so, it's easy to miss the exact mark (base circle) for a couple valve positions.
Using some new parts: they're not yet broken-in/seated.
1 thou extra clearance is nothin' to sweat over, & better a bit loose than tight.
Of course, all will change after the fires are first lit: when she cools-off, don't be surprised to find them loose again.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

cam fles and flex of the rest of the system, do it the preload method.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

Brand new engine? You're wiping the assembly lube off the cam, every tunr a little more..
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

Thx!

It's the old original engine on my 71 T1 vert. Got slightly over 100K km (60K+miles) on the bottom end and 25-40K kms on the rings and valves (pistons/cylinder/head are original).

BTW, what is the pre-load method?

Byas
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

when the ex valve is about 6-8mm down you adjust that cylinders intake lash. turn the crank till the intake valve go,s down then starts coming back up and stop around 6-8mm before it is closed and then adjust that exhaust valve next to it. this accounts for flex and wear&other clearances in the system.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

I set each cylinder (going 1-2-3-4 per Bentley) to 0.006".
Thanks!
Byas

1,2,3,4?
may be nothing or it may be important detail.
The engine rotates clockwise looking at the pulley, and the firing order is 4,3,2,1 or 1,4,3,2, depending on where you start. Cylinder numbers are stamped on tins by the spark plugs. Firing order is cast into generator stand.
I think you know all this, but JUST IN CASE.

Nothing is ever EXACTLY any particular size. Lash being .004-.006 would be fine for a new engine IMO.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

I was taught to adjust the 4,3,2,1.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

Set them and start the darn motor. Break the cam and lifters in and let us know.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
when the ex valve is about 6-8mm down you adjust that cylinders intake lash. turn the crank till the intake valve go,s down then starts coming back up and stop around 6-8mm before it is closed and then adjust that exhaust valve next to it. this accounts for flex and wear&other clearances in the system.

Mark, I tried the preload method yesterday. I did the following: At #1 TDC, I checked #1 intake and exhaust, #2 intake, and #4 exhaust. Then moved on to #4 TDC and took another 4 readings. So at the end of all 4 TDCs, I had 2 data points for each valve -- one at TDC and one "preloaded". This gave me a sense of the variability at each valve. Some were pretty consistent while others varied 0.004" between the 2 readings.

I then did one more round so that I had 4 data points for each valve -- 2 at TDC and 2 preloaded.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note: the numbers are in thousands of an inch. T/M/L - indicates degree of drag - Tight, Med/ Loose. Green - variance of <0.002", red = variance of >0.003". Final is after I adjusted based on readings.

Based on this I was able to get 6 of the valves to pretty consistent readings. But 2 of them varied quite a bit (#1 and #3 intakes) -- I had to figure out a compromise setting.

Any thoughts on the causes of this much variation? Valve tips unevenly worn?

BTW, in the process of setting and having to rechecking, I ended up with 2 more rounds of data which were consistent with the variations on each valve.

Not a fresh engine -- just reassembling it after I took off the head to repair stripped spark plug. New German adjusting screws.

Byas
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

You are overthinking it. The engine will run fine with even double lash.
Just adjust so it's not too tight. Run it a while and readjust as necessary.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

Agree. But, I am still curious as to why there is so much variance. Engine was running well before, so not concerned about that. But, I did feel in the past that even after adjusting the valves, I was hearing a bit of valve clatter. Perhaps this variance explains that.

Only valves which have high variance are #1 and 3 intakes. Where I've now set them to 0.004" at TDC which then opens up to 0.008 at the preloaded measurement. With this range, I was shooting to be 0.006+/- 0.002". Any other setting causes it to be either too tight or too loose at one of the measurements.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

what is the clearance of the cam in it's bearings?
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

Given: " .... 25-40K kms on the rings and valves (pistons/cylinder/head are original)".

Have to suggest that the valve guides & possibly seats are worn.
Also, disassemble both heads (but keep valves indexed) & check for a loose valve GUIDE.
I had the same symptoms in late '90s on mamma's last Beetle & it drove me nuts - until I saw the loose intake guide: which had worked itself half-way up to the spring retainer!
Pulled that head & springs, noting that same guide was not even finger-tight in the head - was actually RATTLING in the guide boss.
G' luck!
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.

Last edited by FeelthySanchez on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

Glen,
I didn't split the case - so don't know the clearances at the bearing. Engine has 100K kilometers on it. I don't believe the bottom end was ever rebuilt. I drive it about 1000K/year now and engine runs well enough that I was hoping not to have to split he case. Crank end play was ok. But, pistons/rings are at the limit of their wear -- so that's on my list.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just looked up this pic from the gallery. #2&4 intakes and #1&3 exhausts are all very consistent -- with almost no variation. If the variance on #1&3 intakes were caused by play in center bearing for the cam, should it not show up on #2/4 intakes as well?

Byas
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

????
If you want to know, take the rockers off one side and try it again.

This will eliminate the variable, as the cam will stay pushed only to one side.

I don't know. I do know the average clearance of the cam bearings, in a old engine .003-.005 Shocked From this I assume the position of the cam, at any given degree, is, in technical terms
"wobbly as all get out"

I don't think you are the first guy to obsess about it, might be interesting to compare with the last guy, but I don't have much hope of finding the others with search. Not sure what keyword to use. Lash....variation?

Last edited by modok on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

Will try that out this evening. THx!
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

FeelthySanchez wrote:
Given: " .... 25-40K kms on the rings and valves (pistons/cylinder/head are original)".

Have to suggest that the valve guides & possibly seats are worn.
=G' luck!

I'd agree there Feelthy. That and the valve tips could be bollixed. I did suggest that he check that all out when he was looking at the head on disassembly cos the adjusters looked beat, so the valve tips could be also .....and there was evidence of oil in the chambers, so the guides could be worn. It is likely that all passed inspection though because the man is thorough with his measurements. Assuming all that is good, it is kind of a mystery, and seems to point to the cam or lifters.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve clearances keep changing Reply with quote

I did not disassemble the head this time as I didn't have the spring compressor tool. So worn seats, tips, valve play in guide are all still possibilities plus modok's suggestion of cam bearing as well. I'll try to do the cam bearing check by pulling off the opposite rocker as he suggested. My initial thought was worn tips due to the beat up adjusters that were on there before.

I did measure the piston/rings clearance and they are at the limit or just beyond. So do need to replace those in the future and will slowly get the parts together. Will also get valves and guides and redo seats at that time. Plus the Pistons are the low compression (6.3:1 option m240 ones) -- will go with regular pistons and get the 4 more hp.

One more question -- how much does a valve rotate on each cycle? I had read that the screws don't contact the tips centrally, but are offset to rotate the valves and create even wear in the seats. Since the high and low readings are not random but periodic - tight at TDC and loose at preload an unevenly worn valve tip that rotates just the right amount each turn could correlate with that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: