Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

I have no idea where you guys get the idea that there would be pooling of gas

I have no idea where you got no idea.
This is real problem.
There ARE daily driven old school turbo systems out there, that do have virtually no problem with it.
But when guys design their own one off stuff they often discover the problem. I usually say that OH YES, it can work but if you want to do it find somebody whos setup runs tops and copy their setup exactly. Including the size of the pipes and how they are arranged, and the carb jetting even if it's weird.

Sometimes you don't even know what you are doing right, until you try different. Like it's common sense to think the T-junction from the turbo to the end castings should be more like a streamlined Y......
Well no. These experts are not necessarily being lazy making it an ugly 90 degree affair. It actually works better that way most cases.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

I have heard of puddling issues before in N/A V8s where they are running a very radical cams and have to make the idle mixture very rich in order to get them to idle at all.

In my mind a radical cam is a waste of time and money on a street driven turboed car and would have more than a few drivability issues. My experience was with a stock cam so idle mixture was virtually unchanged as was idle performance.

My intake runner between the carb and turbo compressor was only a few inches long too as I used a side draught carb. The Corvair was the same.

One of the advantages in my mind of the suck through the carb system is that there is no real need to have huge carbs to get the power. This keeps the air velocities higher and gives you better atomization. Perhaps that helps to keep the mixture from dropping out and puddling too.

Or maybe I was just lucky...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

Nice. You don't see those type of setups as much these days, but it sure does work.
I'd like to see folks try that with mikuni hsr motorcycle carb, which didn't exist back then.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

It's all in the packaging.

Put a low spot in the intake and slow airspeeds and you can get fuel puddling.

A long intake and a few extra bends and you have an even better chance.

I wonder if CB has thought about building a smaller diameter turbo header.

Having one in 1.5 or 1.375 inch exhaust would make the market a little larger.

That turbo setup is going to be for a very small market if the exhaust is 1.625 and a bigger turbo.
Try finding a turbo set up for draw through that is small enough for a 1.6-1.9L engine for a cheaper hp kick......

Building a 2276 for $6000.00 plus and then adding $2200.00 for a turbo will make for a small customer base.

Building it for a smaller engine would be a better plan to me since they would be looking for the hp increase.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

What's the maximum CFM of a single 44IDF? Just trying to get a comparison to the pull thru turbo setups using 600 Holley 4 barrel carbs and larger.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

290 CFM with stock venturis according to J. Raby.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1949
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

Boolean wrote:
290 CFM with stock venturis according to J. Raby.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1949

With a single 44idf on a 2 liter plus motor can I assume that this motor would perform better off idle than a Holley and still provide comparable power on-boost?
Can a turbo pull all the air it needs into this engine with a 290cfm carb as it would with a 600cfm Holley?

It appears that the CB Perf dyno chart indicates that this may be true.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Building a 2276 for $6000.00 plus and then adding $2200.00 for a turbo will make for a small customer base.

Building it for a smaller engine would be a better plan to me since they would be looking for the hp increase.

100% with you on this one!

Why would you spend the time and money to build a maxed out monster engine and add a turbo?
In my mind it's one or the other unless you are a pyromaniac with unlimited funds.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

I don't know if this helps anyone or not but the first carb I tried on my 1600 was a Weber 40 DCOE. I really had no need for two barrels but I used it because of how versatile these carbs are with jetting and vent sizes. I don't recall what configuration I ended up using but never felt that it was ever under carbed even at 6000rpm and 15psi boost.
Sources at the time estimated that a turboed engine would have double it's original HP a 11psi and this engine was 74 HP stock.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Nice. You don't see those type of setups as much these days, but it sure does work.
I'd like to see folks try that with mikuni hsr motorcycle carb, which didn't exist back then.

Back in the early 80's about the time I was getting out of the car hobby and into family life there was a company advertising motorcycle carbs for air cooled VWs in one of the popular magazines. They had set ups from a single center mount to twin, one for each head and the one that really interested me was four singles. They came complete with manifolds, throttle cables and air cleaners. Don't know how it turned out but I can still see their company logo in my mind. It was a big "S" with a carb at the top. Like a snake.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Sources at the time estimated that a turboed engine would have double it's original HP a 11psi and this engine was 74 HP stock.

An engine is just an air pump........
I can't fathom how an engine could double its hp without doubling the air and fuel. At sea level that would be 14.7 lbs of boost at 100% efficiency.
Your air temps would have to be back to ambient or lower and all your ducks in a row to double it at 15 lbs. boost.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

I think the biggest mistake people make building a turbo deal is too big on everything. Big cam, big pipes, big intake runners, etc. They make tons of power, but not until it's too late for street driving. I remember driving in a 2007cc bug with an AJ Sims turbo kit on it with a 120 cam. It was waaaay too big. It didn't come on until exactly 3000 RPM. All hurky-jerky and off the cam before then. Absolutely no fun on the street.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
I think the biggest mistake people make building a turbo deal is too big on everything. Big cam, big pipes, big intake runners, etc. They make tons of power, but not until it's too late for street driving. I remember driving in a 2007cc bug with an AJ Sims turbo kit on it with a 120 cam. It was waaaay too big. It didn't come on until exactly 3000 RPM. All hurky-jerky and off the cam before then. Absolutely no fun on the street.

That is exactly how I see it too! And don't forget too big on the turbo.

Clonebug - if your engine achieves 80% volumetric efficiency stock at sea level(no N/A engine ever achieves 100%) that is 11.7psi so another 11psi turbo charged will in fact be double the output.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
An engine is just an air pump........
I can't fathom how an engine could double its hp without doubling the air and fuel. At sea level that would be 14.7 lbs of boost at 100% efficiency.
Your air temps would have to be back to ambient or lower and all your ducks in a row to double it at 15 lbs. boost.
I'm with oprn. This scenario assumes a 100% efficient engine. If our engines were that efficient they probably wouldn't need cooling systems! Well, maybe a bit for the oil because of friction. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

Since CB doesn't have the header in other dia's can that be compensated with a smaller turbo on smaller cc engines?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

Good luck finding a smaller turbo that is capable of drawthrough without reworking it for the correct seal......if it is even possible to change it.
I buy turbos for $20.00-$60.00 and run them till they puke.
Only one has worn out of the five plus turbos I have.
None of them are capable of drawthrough without fogging oil smoke everywhere.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

I don't have puddling/icing issues anymore. Even with a 770CFM four-barrel. Even after idling for over 10 minutes @ 1k rpm. I have a petcock valve on another compressor housing that I've verified this with. I used to have to drain it daily until I brought heat up to the manifold. Now I don't have to blip or rev it and it's smooth off the line. You'd know you're puddling if you flick your throttle arm and the RPM dumps. Although it's not purpose built for the street, my setup is very streetable.

But here's the disclaimer - the motor has to be up to running temps. Otherwise it's hard to start and stumbles. Something EFI does definitely fix. And that's EFI in general. Doesn't necessarily have to be blow-through.

Also, T3s are a dime a dozen and so are their carbon seal back plates.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

And a T-3 is too big for a 1600 if you want any boost before 4000 rpm.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

myb356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

Kit looks good, but if they could flip the oil fill/ breather to the middle of the engine, this thing could fit into smaller engine compartments and spark plug changes would be easier.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Good luck finding a smaller turbo that is capable of drawthrough without reworking it for the correct seal......if it is even possible to change it.
I buy turbos for $20.00-$60.00 and run them till they puke.
Only one has worn out of the five plus turbos I have.
None of them are capable of drawthrough without fogging oil smoke everywhere.

There you go! If you are just picking up random junk turbos you will be pretty hard pressed to get a good match. Do the research and buy the proper turbo with the right compressor/turbine housings and seals for your application. No different than any other part of your engine build.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: