Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mid engine sand rail build
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
19vw64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: mid engine sand rail build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I picked this rail up a few months ago... I beleive it is a mazzone. Any thoughts? Since I have had it I stripped it down to a roller. I have a few welds/cracks to fix, rewire, add a tach, give it a good cleaning, and a new heart beat. Going to install a 2276 48 ida motor. I have searched the net for info and build build pics for ideas. Looking for a good spot to mount a oil cooler. Anyone have have any pics of thier set up, or just want to show off their mazzone? I will add pics as I go.
Thanks,
Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakekrupa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAT POSITIVE CAMBER THO
Jcr. Kat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mazzone chassis was top of line in the 80's .simple and easy to work on no vw suspension to mess with so you could spend all you time and money on engine and trans.Classic car
Jcr. Kat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mazzone chassis was top of line in the 80's .simple and easy to work on no vw suspension to mess with so you could spend all you time and money on engine and trans.Classic car
BigJon(2StrokeOrChoke)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: mid engine sand rail build Reply with quote

Please Help I'm in need of measurements from a mazzone frame to fabricate my own since mike mazzone has passed away. I'm in Dallas Texas I can send you reference drawings as to where I need measurments and will pay for your assistance or if you live within 400 miles I will drive out and buy you a hamburger or pay you to let me get some measurements.
Any assistance is appreciated!

Thanks
-Jon
BigJon(2StrokeOrChoke)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: mid engine sand rail build Reply with quote

Please Help I'm in need of measurements from a mazzone frame to fabricate my own since mike mazzone has passed away. I'm in Dallas Texas I can send you reference drawings as to where I need measurments and will pay for your assistance or if you live within 400 miles I will drive out and buy you a hamburger or pay you to let me get some measurements.
Any assistance is appreciated!

Thanks
-Jon
19vw64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: mid engine sand rail build Reply with quote

Jon,
What measurement do you need? I am out of town until the weekend, I can measure then.

Also, not sure if you would be interested, but I am selling that chassis.

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BigJon(2StrokeOrChoke)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: mid engine sand rail build Reply with quote

Thanks for everything Keith! If you need to know anything about rails this guy is the buggy guru of Austin TX!!
BigJon(2StrokeOrChoke)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: mid engine sand rail build Reply with quote

Just bought this rail from Keith its what I was wanting so I broke the bank for 1700 it needs a little work but it's the corvette of sandrails in my opinion. It came with seats, belts, pedals, empi disc brakes, KC lights, and everything to make it a roller. I'm in the process of putting a new transaxle cross mount in it because the old one wasn't right.
Things to do are:
-Transaxle mount
-fix a few welds
-move steering wheel mount to make the steering shaft straight
-center rack & pinion
-make new tierods
-set pedals and run brake lines
-engine install and wiring
-test drive.
-disassembly
-sandblasting
-fill low spots with lead and smooth out
-send out for powder coating
-reassembly and fine tuning.
- kellers hamburger

Mazzone sadrail pictures are highly encouraged to be posted here!
Thanks pictures coming soon.
BigJon(2StrokeOrChoke)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: mid engine sand rail build Reply with quote

Oldschoolsandcars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: mid engine sand rail build Reply with quote

The car you have is a Fiber-Tech.. possibly built and welded by Mike when he worked for Fiber-Tech in the late 70's to early 80's. It's very common for folks to mistake the Fiber-Tech cars for a Mazzone sandcar.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: mid engine sand rail build Reply with quote

In to see this build! But I do have one question. With a mid engine, running a vw trans what is done to correct the direction of rotation? Thanks, Scott.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: mid engine sand rail build Reply with quote

The short answer is the ring gear gets flipped to the other side in the trans.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: mid engine sand rail build Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
The short answer is the ring gear gets flipped to the other side in the trans.

Makes total since now! Thanks.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: mid engine sand rail build Reply with quote

Flipping the ring gear was done by the VW factory for the bus swingaxle gearboxes to correct for the reduction gears at the outer ends of the axles.

This can be done with Type 1 and Type 3 gearboxes. It cannot be done with Type 2 IRS gearboxes.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
BigJon(2StrokeOrChoke)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: mid engine sand rail build Reply with quote

I've spent quite a few hours working on my buggy learning new things like bending tubing without a mandrel bender will not give you a good smooth bend
You cannot match a tig weld with a mig weld it can be done with a flame weld but it's very hard to do and burning yourself is gonna happen. Here the new cross member I will be making an belt drive off set steering next.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: