Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf??
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf?? Reply with quote

Anybody seen this kit before? I'm tryin to advise a customer on why his oil pressure is low after he installed a cooler with this "kit" a buddy gave him. As far as I can tell, the pump hasn't been removed to block the output off, so I'm not sure if the cooler does anything. However, the pressure relief piston (and spring?) would have to be removed for this install.

Any guesses as to what's going on here??
Robbie

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf?? Reply with quote

I would be EXTREMELY! concerned about all of the silicone on the
oil pump cover.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf?? Reply with quote

Looks like a pushloc swivel hose nipple using non pushloc hose and a clamp.
That can't be a good combo......

That full flow cover looks pretty thin too.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf?? Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Full-Flow-Oil-Return-Adapter-1971-Dual-Relief-p/ff-return-adapter.htm

What’s That Noise?!?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf?? Reply with quote

WTF indeed.
Best thing to do is throw that mess away, and put it back to stock.
I'll bet he didn't plug the pump outlet, and even if he did, those return adapters are lousy at best. And, as mcdragracer noted, the copious amount of silicone...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf?? Reply with quote

Sort of subscribe to theory that outlet of pump not plugged...

The amount of silicone would make me want to investigate deeper...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf?? Reply with quote

As long as the oil pump is plugged, then it is an actual full flow. This method disables the stock oil cooler control though.

Not the "best" way to do it, but it does work

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf?? Reply with quote

It may be OK if you live in a warm climate and avoid the high viscosity oils, not worth the risk for me.

How about all that missing tin?, maybe a good look a the cooling system is in order before resorting to external coolers?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf?? Reply with quote

Yes, I've seen this kit before, in fact it is a BugPack oil bypass adaptor, now owned by empi, and I have one of the BugPack units on my daily driver type 1.

As Eric Allred, a respected member here, stated it is not the best but it does work.

I would agree, looking at the pump body's dirty look, the pump output may not have been plugged.

A correct diagnosis would be to verify oil pressure with a gauge, R&R that cover and pump to verify correct tapping the outlet, and duplicate the running of the engine. Verify correct hook up to filter and cooler. possibly by-pass the filter by running hose out of pump and back into the case. Hope the engine aint damaged.

My use of this adaptor on a worn engine (210+ degrees, 20psi oil pressure, at 3500rpm freeway speeds) has been used for approx. 8 years, with Delo straight 40wt oil year around, in SoCal.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf?? Reply with quote

it is crap, pure crap, get it off. the hole in the case where the piston seats is n ot big enough to flow enough, also that thingy does not seal to that seat and the oil go's past and back into the case via the vent hole in the bore for a vacuum break. it also lets the main gally that intersects it to leek past back into the case. it is and has always been a pos made by bugpoop.( like so much of their useless shit that is /was crap long before empi bough them) with some creative machining and possiably some welding it can be made to work....but why. throw it away. or do like I did and hang it on the wall of shame with the rest of the shit that should of not been made or made rong by "ex~sperts"in their field....field of dreams I think.

Last edited by mark tucker on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf?? Reply with quote

Yep . listen to Mark , it causes a constant pressure leak internally.
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf?? Reply with quote

Just to wrap this up: Mark is right. The whole design is shit; I didn't bother to look at the construction quality.

We went back to stock on the engine. Turns out the "mechanic" who installed it for him took the original spring, cap, and piston, so he had to source new ones. Correct, the old oil pump was never pulled and blocked. Right now we have the stock 26mm pump and oiling system, pressure is above 10psi at idle after a rip around town. Freeway drives should calm it down to 3-8psi at idle like it used to be.

Now he wants to install a CB in/out pump. Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of "full flow" is this? Also, wtf?? Reply with quote

The CB in/out pump is great and it greatly reduced my temps. It is not an easy add on in a T1 powered bus with the mustache bar. I had to have a custom mustache bar made inorder to use the pump. It's a nice pump though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Whatever you do don't use those F-ing hose clamps. Please use proper fittings or you're asking for more issues.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: