Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Beetle project
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nmills9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: 1965 Beetle project Reply with quote

Longer post warning.

I purchased a 1965 Beetle about 8 months ago as a project car. The bug is in really good shape (small amount of surface rust, one larger dent in the passenger, front fender). The motor is blown. It has already been upgraded to 12v. My plan for this car was a slow moving project.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I was in a wreck where my Honda Civic daily driver was totaled. I have now decided to put the insurance money into the bug instead of buying a new car.

Here is what I already have planned:
New 1776 engine from Chico Performance Racing.
New transmission to complement the motor from Chico Performance Racing.

(While waiting on motor and tranny)
Strip car and have painted.
Replace all rubber and plastic with brand new. ( Not sure who to purchase from, full kit from Jbug, kit it out from Wolfsburg West or West Coast Metric, or someone completely different)
Replace and polish as much chrome as possible with the rest of the monies left.

My question for the forum is this: What am I forgetting? While I wait on the motor, I want to do as much as I can with the money I have. What things do I NEED to do before the motor and tranny get here that will be more difficult after they are installed?

Thanks and I will post pics soon and keep it updated as I move along with the project.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle project Reply with quote

Brakes ; Upgrade to dual master cylinder ; replace ALL soft brake lines they deteriorate internally .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...r+cylinder

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle project Reply with quote

Check for play in the front end. You may want your steering knuckles rebuilt with new king/link pins/bushings.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle project Reply with quote

Let's see some pictures! Very Happy
Don't forget interior. A full kit isn't cheap and takes some time to install.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle project Reply with quote

Hi and WELCOME.
Very nice project you have planned and agree totally with the others here.
I would highly suggest, especially with the higher HP engine, to look into some suspension improvements. The rational for this statement is the early swing axle beetles could be a handful and easy to "get in over your head" during some driving situations. The pre '66 bug had approx. 40hp. The '67 and '68 bugs had a small increase in engine size and the factory made some improvements here with longer axles, softer rear torsion bars, and the Z bar. The post '69 cars made the big improvement with the IRS set-up.
As with everything there are advantages and disadvantages so do your homework.
nmills9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Beetle project Reply with quote

The usual on ANY resto is start at the bottom and work your way up. Brakes, bearings, seals, all soft hoses (fuel and brakes).

Depending on how you are driving the car, you may want to consider suspension improvements - car has been dropped some and can handle amazingly well with good shocks (I prefer KYB Excels) and a camber compensator to help keep the rear under control and a heavier front sway bar.

A 1776 isnt crazy power, so brake upgrades arent mandatory IMHO, but never a bad idea.

Something that you REALLY should address now is the tranny gearing. You are going to be limited to maybe 70 MPH top speed with the gearing you have assuming its stock.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: