Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 seats removal
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: 1971 seats removal Reply with quote

Trying to take out my seats to re-upholster but looks like the spring that i am supposed to detach is missing. Would it be easier to take out the full tracks - as opposed to the seats by themselves - and would there be any benefit to taking out the back first then the bottom?

This is a pic of the passenger side seat tracks. Notice the big ass screw on the right. I'm assuming that is insered in lieau of the spring? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 seats removal Reply with quote

those are not the correct seat tracks. my guess is theres 4 bolts holding in the seat. one at each end of the seat track. remove those and the seat will come out. stock seat tracks have no blots they are welded to the pans. heres what stock seat tracks look like:

73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 seats removal Reply with quote

Are you sure those are stock seats as well? Based on that photo those do not look like stock 1971 seats.
dm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 seats removal Reply with quote

Oh geez. Its 1970 but i was under the impression
That there is no difference between 1970 and 1971 with respect to
The seats? However no idea if they are the orginal seats or what. The whole car is probably a mishmash.

Thanks!
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 seats removal Reply with quote

I would probably just pull the whole track out. That way you can remove them from the seat and rehab the track assemblies as well.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 seats removal Reply with quote

dm wrote:
Oh geez. Its 1970 but i was under the impression
That there is no difference between 1970 and 1971 with respect to
The seats? However no idea if they are the orginal seats or what. The whole car is probably a mishmash.

Thanks!

The seats are basically the same between 1970 and 1971 except for the pattern of the vinyl covering. However those don't look to be 1970 seats either - although its difficult to tell from that photo.

I don't see it being feasible to remove the tracks without first removing the seats as the tracks are welded in.

If you have some other pics of the seats we can tell you if they are Ghia.
dm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 seats removal Reply with quote

Yeah there are four places where the tracks are installed, pics attached. Clearly not the stock tracks. The seats look and feel like ghia seats.

thanks for the help!

I guess its really a moot point in terms of taking the seats out, there really isnt another way other than to remove the tracks.

Ratdog001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 seats removal Reply with quote

71 Vert Seat track.

dm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 seats removal Reply with quote

yea, i dont have those tracks. Anyone seen these kinds of tracks before and are these ghia seats? They look and feel like it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: