Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
The rocker blocks are what they are. I've used many different style adjusters and rocker arms and never had to do more than remove a few thousandths to gain some space (like .001-.003) There's no real harm in doing what he did, just that it might not have been nessesary.

One thing I will tell you to do is polish the sides of the rocker arms where they touch the shims. CBs coating is rough and will EAT the shims for breakfast lunch and supper if you don't polish them. I use a fine double cut file to clean off the worst and then some 240 grit paper and finally 600 grit. One side is easy as the rocker is offset, the other is kind of a pain. Do everything you can to keep the surface square to the bore.

brad

Thanks again brad. I do believe he has done what you've said, but I will check for sure when they arrive. It's good to get experienced comment, one of the huge benefits of TS! Very Happy

As for the new paintwork, I've resigned myself to a couple of hours cleaning paint off a few bits of wiring. I can see he didn't realise that was important to me, but I think overall it's going to look great once I get everything back together, and I'm really happy it's done!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the new paintwork, I've resigned myself to a couple of hours cleaning paint off a few bits of wiring. I can see he didn't realise that was important to me, but I think overall it's going to look great once I get everything back together, and I'm really happy it's done!

We have a tendency to focus on these things when they occur. Once you get it back together...no one is going to notice. Its a nice improvement to what it looked like before. I agree, be happy and dont sweat the small stuff.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

We have a tendency to focus on these things when they occur. Once you get it back together...no one is going to notice. Its a nice improvement to what it looked like before. I agree, be happy and dont sweat the small stuff.

Not for the first time, I agree with Darrel, Phil. I (fondly) remember your car as a "survivor" car rather than a concourse restoration. As a very good example of the former, these minor blemishes are an asset, not a negative.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

I'm not saying when (or if!) this will happen but, I'm having some Kombi tin powder coated so, the doghouse fan shroud I have for the Ghia is getting done!
The guy is cursing it to high heaven, as it is so difficult to clean inside it and if he doesn't, any oily residue burns off in the oven and creates a hell of a cloud of smoke.
Satin black, in case you were wondering!...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

I picked up the powdercoated tin and the shroud today.
It looks gorgeous! Cool
I haven't compared it directly to the factory tin yet but it looks a pretty good match. Actually, the only bit that will be visible is the 'rear' of the fan shroud, the other pieces are the flaps and the doghouse tin. He made sure he moved the flaps during the process, so they move very freely still. I see I've misplaced the Hoover bit, but that didn't need painting anyway, it must be with the other parts.

dshawirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Hello,
I know these are old posts but I'm sure taking a chance you'll see reply. You have very heplfull pics.

I'm hoping you can help me as I'm trying to repair my 68 reverse lights, but I'm not removing engine.
Your Wed Feb 04, 2015 post's first photo shows 2 wires with connector coming out of engine tarboard. The wires just belwo hood hinge. I have the same. Are these the wires that run to the backup lights mounted on bumper? OR what are they?

I'm confused because if they are backup light wires I thought they ran directly to the reverse switch on transmission nose.
Thank you so much!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

dshawirwin wrote:
I'm confused because if they are backup light wires I thought they ran directly to the reverse switch on transmission nose.

The 12 (+) volt supply via the ignition switch appears at the (15) terminal of the ignition coil and acts as a convenient jumper point for the reversing lights. Current flows through the fuse to the reverse switch in the transmission. After that is a "Y" link ( or a cable adaptor) so wires can fan out to each light
Click here for a diagram showing it well enough.

Also have a look at the technical archives. There's a bunch of Technical bulletins just covering reversing lights for a few model years. '67 is the last one.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/e3.php

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

dshawirwin wrote:
Hello,
I know these are old posts but I'm sure taking a chance you'll see reply. You have very heplfull pics.

I'm hoping you can help me as I'm trying to repair my 68 reverse lights, but I'm not removing engine.
Your Wed Feb 04, 2015 post's first photo shows 2 wires with connector coming out of engine tarboard. The wires just belwo hood hinge. I have the same. Are these the wires that run to the backup lights mounted on bumper? OR what are they?

Thank you so much!

Yes, that connector has two wires that go to the reversing lights. Sputnik60's diagram shows it. A wire from the switch on the transmission comes through the firewall to connect to this connector.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

This pic shows the wire to/from the transmission switch, lying on the floor!

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

What is the white tubing on the bottom of the engine lid?
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:

Looks like an added Blazecut.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, that is a Blazecut fire supression system.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650602&highlight=blazecut

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565193
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, that is a Blazecut fire supression system.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650602&highlight=blazecut

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565193

'Tis indeed a Blazecut!
I've actually taken it off now, but this has reminded me about it, and I'm tempted to fit it back again!

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

I'd put it on the bus as those catch fire easier...
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dshawirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Thank you both very much
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
I'd put it on the bus as those catch fire easier...

I have one on the bus! Maybe I'll put both in! Wink

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

Ok. Time for an update! Very Happy
The Kombi is away having a transmission service, so I've been making some progress with the Ghia. I'm taking my time to put the front trunk back together after the paintwork.
First job was to remove as much of the over sprayed paint as I could. Most was easy enough with thinner and a rag, but some wires had not been masked at all and have thick primer base and clear coat on. It's all a bit inaccessible, so some of the tough wires with no connectors were snipped out and done at home, I'll solder them back in later!
The rubber grommets at the back of the dash script had caught paint too and, predictably enough, trying to lever them off just managed to break one Evil or Very Mad ! I'll glue it back, and I just cleaned up the other two in situ...
The last pics are of a felt buffer for the glove box hinge. I soaked that in thinner and scraped off the paint.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

So, the area behind the dash is clear and ready for things to go back in. It's hard to work out the logical sequence to do things in, but from the notes I made it goes something like this...
Fresh air ducts
Fresh air controls
Speaker
Fuse box
Wiring from the lights and brakes etc from the front of the car (I'm going to tidy the routing of these in a (probably doomed!) attempt to have a neatened up wiring 'nest' Rolling Eyes !
Wiring from the rear of the car
Steering column wiring
Lighting and hazard switch
Wipers
Glovebox and bonnet release
Radio

Suggestions for a better order are welcome!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

The first job on the list has to rank as one of the fiddlyest on the whole car Confused , fitting the fresh air diverter ducts. Dear me, they are a pain Evil or Very Mad !
I've used MTB inner tube as the connector seals. If you fold it back on itself then it's simply a case of unrolling it over the metal ducts. Sadly the plastic diverters fit very badly into the space that's meant for them and leave no room for my largish hands to do the unrolling.
I suspect it would be easier putting a condom on a cat hiding at the back of your sock drawer, in the dark (and would result in fewer scratches) Mad .

After I gave up, (on the heater ducts, not the cat Shocked ) I called my better half, who had a lot more success, but did still turn the air blue with her unhappiness. Job (eventually) done.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Late 1969 Ghia vert preservation/ restoration Reply with quote

My experience with fitting those fresh air diffusers matches yours, Phil. I left a lot of my DNA in the form of blood and torn skin on the car when I fitted them.

I'm still trying to convince myself that if a challenge wasn't difficult there wouldn't be any satisfaction in achieving it.

Best of luck in your endeavours in tidying the crow's nest of wires in front of the dashboard.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 44

Jump to: