Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
unclewede wrote:
77 Standard. Do I call that little light under the dash a map light? What activates it? I can't seem to find it on the wiring diagram to figure that out. Since I can't read the tiny bulb I might swap some other light there but would like to activate it from the door opening like the dome light. If I could figure out where it terminates now I could just move the wires

I believe that is L21 at 52 in the wiring diagram (available here on thesamba.) It is listed as a heater control light. Apparently lighted defrost controls became a requirement and that joke of a light was VWs solution.

The bulb u need is n177512. Wolfgang international sells the correct one, don't buy it from Wolfsburg west.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
unclewede wrote:
77 Standard. Do I call that little light under the dash a map light? What activates it? I can't seem to find it on the wiring diagram to figure that out. Since I can't read the tiny bulb I might swap some other light there but would like to activate it from the door opening like the dome light. If I could figure out where it terminates now I could just move the wires

I believe that is L21 at 52 in the wiring diagram (available here on thesamba.) It is listed as a heater control light. Apparently lighted defrost controls became a requirement and that joke of a light was VWs solution.

Lighted defrost control meaning it is supposed to light up the yellow heater control handles???
Call me a rebel if you must, but I'm putting something like a dome light there to illuminate the footwell when I open the door
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It's not a super bright light but it actually works!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Do torsion bars develop "fatigue?" If so, what is a symptom of this?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The car sags.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
The car sags.

Tim

What about a clunk on bumps?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:
The car sags.

Tim

What about a clunk on bumps?

Could be worn rubber torsion arm bushings.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's my original 67 torsion arm bushings when I changed them a year ago.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
cldavis39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Why can I not find ANY fresh air intake boxes for sale? Why don't they make any new ones to sell for 1 1969-? VW??? Sad
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cldavis39 wrote:
Why can I not find ANY fresh air intake boxes for sale? Why don't they make any new ones to sell for 1 1969-? VW??? Sad

With you there!!!

Funny, Grand Junction is where we had to wait 3 days in about 1970 when the retreads my dad bought for his Bug swoled-up coming across the Mojave.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Why do we clean the oil strainer every oil change? Oh, I've heard "because we don't have a filter" but its before the filter -- it will catch anything it can before the filter has a chance on all cars. On most cars it is never touched.
Bruined68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Stupid Question Thread;
I am attempting my first rebuild of any kind on a 1968 Bug and I cànnot seem to get a correct answer about removing the body off the frame (chassis). I have been told that it comes off and that on the 68 it is unremovable. I know that I can just put bug up on stand and attempt to remove body but if it does not come off than I can use that time on something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
First Timer...............
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Bruined68 wrote:
Stupid Question Thread;
I am attempting my first rebuild of any kind on a 1968 Bug and I cànnot seem to get a correct answer about removing the body off the frame (chassis). I have been told that it comes off and that on the 68 it is unremovable. I know that I can just put bug up on stand and attempt to remove body but if it does not come off than I can use that time on something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whoever told u that about a '68 is lying or won't admit they don't know. They all come off the same way, some differences with the super beetles. Thousands of threads on here of owners doing this.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Marks65Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have a 1968 Beetle and a 1974 Super Beetle convertible, the convertible is ragged out, but engine and trans are good and Hope to use them putting the 68 back on the road as my daily driver (my fist car was a beetle) I want to cannibalize the 74 for everything I can.

So,instead of trial and error, I though I would ask someone who might know. Please feel free to chime in with any advise, good or bad. Thanks!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Bruined68 wrote:
Stupid Question Thread;

Welcome.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Click this link. You'll see 600+ previous threads on the subject. Since your new to this site, you'll find that most questions have been answered in some cases hundreds of times. Once you figure out the searching feature, this site is a wealth of info.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Split Torsion Bar Bushings? Reply with quote

I've got a Kelmark GT kit car that I bought as a complete vehicle. It was assembled on a 1970 IRS pan and from the looks of things not much was refurbished before it was put together. It has the long torsion bars that protrude through the spring plate caps, double spring plates, and it's obvious that the torsion bar bushings need replaced.

Now here's where the problem lies. The body of my car fits so close to the end of the torsion bars that there's no way I can see to remove them without lifting the body or cutting holes in it. On one side the end of the bar is nearly touching the car. d'oh!

Here's my stupid question. If I was able to disassemble things to the point that I could cut a slit in the old rubber bushings and slip them off of the torsion bars, could I then take a set of new stock rubber bushings and carefully cut a slit in them (like with a razor blade) and slip them over the bars, then put it all back together? Would the spring plate caps hold everything in place and make it work? I'd be sure to cut the new bushings in a spot where they wouldn't be loaded. Maybe the bottom or the rear. Thoughts? STUPID? Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Huabtais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My engine's in for a rebuild on the long lock and them I'm going to take over from there. My first one and trying to do and learn as much as I can on my own. It had a red Bosch coil that's been smashed and deformed by the bracket and whoever attached it. There were two resistors daisy-chained together on it. It was running when I got it, but burned a valve on #1. (Pics below from as the engine was when I got it). I have a brand new Pertronix 40511 40,000 Volt 3.0 ohm coil that I'm going to be using. Do I need the resistors or what search terms do I need to be using to do my research?
Engine is/was a 1970 SP 1600 with the 009 distributor. Going to a DP setup on the rebuild.

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

^ you will not need those resistors when used with the new 3 ohm coil.

If that red bosch coil is still good, it would work great for people (like myself) that don't use points to switch the coil.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I feel like a noob for asking this, but I really am not sure.

A new, unused CV joint is stiff and requires some grunting to manipulate by hand. The used but relatively unworn ones I'm planning on putting back in my '74 are loose enough that they move very freely and easily. Are these used CVs too worn? I know CV joints will break in over time, but can I still use used and decent looking German CV joints?
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

This boot that fits on the oil breather tube on the bottom of the car--is it suppose to be closed, sealed, on the pointy end or slit like a whistle mouth piece? Isn't it suppose to vent? I never had one before putting one on last fall and I was surprised to see it without a slit, the pictures appears to have one but it could be a highlight?

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

crap...so...for the stupid question thread...does any body know what I was gonna ask???dang brain fart...oh well. good thing I dont have shit for brains.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 129

Jump to: