Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

Everybody wants something different.

I would not have much use for a TINY turbo kit, and always hated blowthrough systems, as they never can be tuned perect, but one day I had a thought.
The dual carbs are quite loud and so is the exhaust.
A turbo at a few PSI would be the best solution. Solves the noise problem at both ends, and makes it go too Razz
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

There you go! If you are just picking up random junk turbos you will be pretty hard pressed to get a good match. Do the research and buy the proper turbo with the right compressor/turbine housings and seals for your application. No different than any other part of your engine build.

I don't pick random turbos....I use Subaru turbos pretty well exclusively since they perform so well.
I have spent hours and hours of time in research and have learned a lot.
I don't really need or want someone to pick my turbo for me and charge me $600-1300 for one.
That price takes all the fun right out of it.

Subarus have turbos that will take care of almost any VW engine from 1600-2500cc.
They have been using turbos on their engines since at least 1986.

I have used the 1986 RHB5 turbo and was quite pleased with it except it wouldn't maintain over 17 lbs of boost. It would drop down to 13 lbs at full rpm......that wasn't enough.

The 1987 turbo was pretty good but full boost came in at 3800 rpm until the bushings wore out.

The 2002-2007 WRX turbo I use now is a great turbo and would work well for an engine as large as 2.0L since that is what it came off of.
It is capable of 394 CFM and will support 270 hp.

I am not quite there yet but getting closer.

I have upgraded to 45# injectors since the 32# injectors I had were maxed out at 103% on one run......they will support only 230 hp.

The 45# injectors will support 360 hp so I should be good for a while.

The WRX turbo is the best yet and I only paid $60.00 for it.....It starts boost at 2400 rpm and is at 22 lbs boost at 3800 rpm.......you really can't beat that for a street turbo.

The WRX/STI turbo I feel would be an excellent turbo for someone with a 2276 or larger and would support up to 350 hp with great boost for street driving. They come stock on a 2.5L engine that turns 6500 rpm.

I also picked up a Dodge Cummins Holset turbo but gave it to a friend who might use it on his 1600 mouse engine project. It was too cheap to pass up. It's a little on the large size for a street engine but for someone wanting some serious racing it will be a fun one.

I also have one little turbo off of a TT Dodge Stealth......it is a dinky little thing but for someone that wanted insta-boost and not as much power it would be a fun turbo. I thought about doing a TT setup with it but I have a plumbing problem already.

If I could just be happy with 7 lbs everything would be peachy.......but it's that addiction thing....... Rolling Eyes

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

modok wrote:

I would not have much use for a TINY turbo kit, and always hated blowthrough systems, as they never can be tuned perect, but one day I had a thought.
A turbo at a few PSI would be the best solution. Solves the noise problem at both ends, and makes it go too Razz

Exactly.
You can also toss out the big valves, wild cam, big bore and stroker crank, porting, multi carbs and fancy exhaust. Build a good solid basic engine with attention to longevity, size the turbo to give you a nice mild boost starting around 2000rpm and limit it to 8 to 10 pounds boost. You will end up with an engine that has better drivability and more power than going the conventional hot rodding route. And at 1/3 the cost too!

By he way clonebug, seeing as you must pursue the higher boost pressures(ya, ya! I know! hard to resist isn't it?)detonation and finding better fuel starts to become a real pain in the butt! I switched to propane. It has an effective octane rating of 120 and works very well with turbo charging.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

Love Boost Smile and lifting the front tires in 3rd Shocked Laughing Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

Isn't it fairly easy to add a carbon seal to a T3? I like the simplicity of this setup and being able to run a decklid with it.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

You would be suprised how many draw thru cars are not running a carbon seal, the myth that you "Have to have it" is a myth. Some do need it but many do not including factory turbos.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

You can get away with not having a carbon seal if you use a restrictor in your oil feed line. Restriction so small it's almost a deadhead. I like fresh unrestricted circulation of oil through my turbocharger.

The 35 trim T3 wheel spools up if you sneeze/fart on it. For the smallest of displacements.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

How does this combo sound?

Webcam 86b
Magnaspark Digital
Stock doghouse with additional Setrap cooler
Berg pump, fullflow
Panchitos 044
c.r around 8.5

I have all of the above except heads....may upgrade depending on feedback.

Test drive for a couple 100 miles with a set of NOS 48 dells I have in storage. Then add this new CB turbo kit along with a Snow meth/water injection kit for occasional boost over 12psi.
I'm not planning on going efi!

Give me your thoughts.

Thanks
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

If I were to refresh my turbo motor, I'd have Kris Lauffer custom grind a turbo cam for me.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:

Webcam 86b
Magnaspark Digital
Berg pump, fullflow
Panchitos 044
c.r around 8.5

Test drive for a couple 100 miles with a set of NOS 48 dells I have in storage. Then add this new CB turbo kit along with a Snow meth/water injection kit for occasional boost over 12psi.

Give me your thoughts.

Thanks

Instead of asking all of us here that have ZERO experience with this Turbo kit, I would email the only guy that has dynod this Turbo kit and ask him. (Pat Downs). Maybe there is a reason he used 044's instead of Panchitos. Also, Pat uses the CB2292(Similar to FK10) in his example, and ALOT of other engines. See what he suggests for your combo.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

86b is waaaay too much cam for the street with a turbo. No power until almost 4000 rpm.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
DerrickfromNC1 wrote:

Webcam 86b
Magnaspark Digital
Berg pump, fullflow
Panchitos 044
c.r around 8.5

Give me your thoughts.

Thanks

Instead of asking all of us here that have ZERO experience with this Turbo kit, I would email the only guy that has dynod this Turbo kit and ask him. (Pat Downs). Maybe there is a reason he used 044's instead of Panchitos. Also, Pat uses the CB2292(Similar to FK10) in his example, and ALOT of other engines. See what he suggests for your combo.

Isn't that FK10 more radical than a 86b?
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

I have an FK-41, and wouldn't change it for anything.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
jpaull wrote:
DerrickfromNC1 wrote:

Webcam 86b
Magnaspark Digital
Berg pump, fullflow
Panchitos 044
c.r around 8.5

Give me your thoughts.

Thanks

Isn't that FK10 more radical than a 86b?

The lift of the cb2292 os almost identical but it has more duration then the 86b so yes. Its a great cam for a big engine. Im using this cam with 1.3 rockers for my current 2234 build.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
modok wrote:

Exactly.
You can also toss out the big valves, wild cam, big bore and stroker crank, porting, multi carbs and fancy exhaust. Build a good solid basic engine with attention to longevity, size the turbo to give you a nice mild boost starting around 2000rpm and limit it to 8 to 10 pounds boost. You will end up with an engine that has better drivability and more power than going the conventional hot rodding route. And at 1/3 the cost too!

Reading this thread got me thinking about Joe Blow's supercharger kit. I'd consider getting his kit for my stock 1600, but I've found very little feedback on the reliability and tune-ability of his kit.
By he way clonebug, seeing as you must pursue the higher boost pressures(ya, ya! I know! hard to resist isn't it?)detonation and finding better fuel starts to become a real pain in the butt! I switched to propane. It has an effective octane rating of 120 and works very well with turbo charging.
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

I changed the title so maybe Pat or Mark could chime in?
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

Maddward wrote:
I changed the title so maybe Pat or Mark could chime in?

Anyone have more info on this upcoming setup? Just looking for a reason to bump it up!
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

Nothing new over here... I emailed Pat about it on 3/1 and haven't had a response yet. I did hear back from Marieanne on 3/10 and she said "I was told it would be a while"
Lawlessjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

It's off the dyno and in a car. Finding out what works and what doesn't.

The new piping and manifolds are still being refined. So still going to be awhile.

We will keep teasers coming out until its finished.

Mark Lawless
CB Performance
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Just saw this last night...CB Drawthrough Reply with quote

Oh! my gaaaaaawd... My birthday is in a few months. If the kit is out by then i guess there's going to be a big box that says "To me, from me, with lots of love"...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: