Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

electrical nightmare
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: electrical nightmare Reply with quote

i have a 69 beetle.
po had wired all kinds of extra lights.
i got everything working fine except the two speedo lights. but they could be bad bulbs.
i put in a new light switch, new Emrg light switch and a new flasher relay.
i re wired the back up lights.

here's my problem:
everything that supposed to, works perfect with the key off. everthing that is supposed to, works perfect with the key on.
when the car is running, i turn on the flasher switch and the lights stay on steady, use the turn signal switch and the selected light stays on steady
i can't figure out why they would work correctly when the car isn't running and not when it is.

thanks
rolf
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical nightmare Reply with quote

So your problem is with the E-Flashers and the turn signals ONLY WHILE the engine is running, right?

First question... what make/model# is your flasher relay? Is it the correct flasher relay for a classic VW Beetle? If it is, it will have terminals: #31, #49(+) and #49a.

Second question... looking at the bottom of the speedo from the trunk, is there a black wire connected to the very bottom of the speedo below where the three indicator lamps are installed? This black wire should go up to the fuel gauge and then on to the fuse box (fuse #1 or #2). If you disconnect this wire from the bottom of the speedo and test the end of the wire you should read 12v+ while the ignition switch is ON. Is this what you get?

Last question... are you running stock 21W (or 25W) incandescent turn signal bulbs in the four corners of the car? Have you replaced any with low wattage LED bulbs (LED turn signal bulbs typically draw only around 2W)? Low watt bulbs can cause problems with the stock flasher relays which are designed for two or four 21W bulbs.

Test1, measure the voltage...
    - at your battery posts with everything OFF
    - at your battery posts while the engine is running at around 2000rpm
    - at the #9 fuse while the engine is running
    - at the #1 fuse while the engine is running
    - at the #49 terminal of the flasher relay while the engine is OFF and while it is running

Test2, pull out the turn indicator lamp from the speedo, remove the bulb from the holder and re-insert the empty bulb holder into the speedo. Re-test your E-Flashers and turn signals. Do your corner lamps now work correctly when you turn ON the E-Flasher switch or turn signal switch while the engine is running?

Test3, in addition to the turn signal indicator bulb, remove the Gen bulb from its bulb holder and see if having both the Gen and Turn bulbs removed from the speedo makes any difference in the turn signals working while the engine is running.

Report back your results.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
rgie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical nightmare Reply with quote

thanks ashman
gimme a couple days
i'll get it done as quickly as my "real job" will allow

rolf
rgie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical nightmare Reply with quote

ashman
sorry this took so long

the flasher relay i got from cip1 the only number on it is 0831/41
the terminals on it are 31, 49, 49a, and k1.
the black wire to th fuel gauge comes off the # 2 fuse the wire to the spedo comes off #1
the voltage to the spedo is 11.4
i'm using stock bulbs every where.
voltage at the batt not running is 12.6 14.4 when running.
the # 9 fuse is 14.5 engine running.
the #1 is 14.09 engine running
the 49 terminal is 14.1 engine running.
after i measured all these voltages the flashers started working with the engine running!
what could i have done to fix my problem?
thanks for your help
rolf
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical nightmare Reply with quote

Glad to hear it is working.

Most likely a loose ground connection. Bad grounds can cause STRANGE behavior.

rgie wrote:
the black wire to th fuel gauge comes off the # 2 fuse the wire to the spedo comes off #1
the voltage to the spedo is 11.4

I'm not clear what you mean above.

Looking at the '69 wiring diagram...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The #2 fuse powers the wipers and, from the unprotected INPUT side, the three bottom speedo indicator lamps. Is this what you mean by speedo?... the indicator lamps?

The fuel gauge is powered from the #15 terminal of the E-Flasher switch which in turn is powered from fuse #1.
Compare your wiring to the wiring diagram and see if they match. Note that the fuse box is a figurative representation and the top of the fuse box in your car may actually be the bottom of the one in the diagram. The bottom of the fuse box in the diagram is the INPUT side. Note how one white wire from the dimmer relay powers two fuses and outputs to two different headlights.

How is it you are only reading 11.4v at the speedo when there is 14.09v at the fuse box when running? Is this measurement taken when the engine is NOT running? 11.4v is over 1v loss from the battery to the speedo. Clean up your connections to reduce the voltage loss.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
rgie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: electrical nightmare Reply with quote

thanks ashman
i have not seen this schematic. i have been using a 68-69 and 70-71.
all my switches are as depicted on the 70-71 but my wiper motor is as depicted on the 68-69.
i will use the one you have posted do you have the legend for it?

thanks again
rolf
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: electrical nightmare Reply with quote

From the Technical section of The Samba.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_68_69_usa_key.jpg

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
rgie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: electrical nightmare (result) Reply with quote

just to post some closure with this issue.
come to find out that the emergency flasher switch/ one of the terminals was grounding against the back oft the dash.
moral of the story is check check and then check again
thanks to those who helped

rolf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: