Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

There's a place for Baja's, Dune Buggies, and Sandrails to show their stuff. Why not a place for Class 11's and Class 11 look-alikes ?

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

That's bad ass,

Mr_bill, do you drive this around on the street?
I was born and raised in the city or orange, lived there all my life untill about 3 years ago and I've never seen this on the road ! Surely I would remember!
That engine bay is so clean, nice work Shocked
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

There are some great old threads here with lots of pictures. I will show off mine. Its has been "down" for the last year or more after my son busted the tranny ,again!. and i have lacked funds and time. Got a new tranny and a refresh on my engine and hope to get it back on the road in the next month or two. This is after the last refresh which was after i rolled it a few years ago.
Mine has lift kit, most do not.

mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

Dürtwagen wrote:
That's bad ass,

I was born and raised in the city or orange, lived there all my life untill about 3 years ago and I've never seen this on the road ! Surely I would remember!

YES...I do drive this car on the street....Just drove it out to SLASH X for off-road race a couple weeks ago.......I live in "west" Orange ( I to am a lifelong Orange resident)

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug

Motor = electric

www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

Saw this bug at the offroad show last year.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

mr_bill wrote:
Dürtwagen wrote:
That's bad ass,

YES...I do drive this car on the street....Just drove it out to SLASH X for off-road race a couple weeks ago.......I live in "west" Orange ( I to am a lifelong Orange resident)

Mr.bill, let us know next time you head to slash X. We'll meet you there for a burger.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:

Mr.bill, let us know next time you head to slash X. We'll meet you there for a burger.

Yo I wanna join in Very Happy

Nothing beats seeing a 'stock' bug in places it doesn't belong.

Shout out to the real Class 11 cars though. Those things go through some rough shit.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

My Class 11 in Baja 500 1975. Still working on the restoration, maybe finished this summer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

Thought I would add this because it is a cool pic of a close C11 relative. This is a class 6 precurser to class 11 and class 5. This is a pic of my race partner Hank Roed and Dave Beverly going on to win a 1st place Baja 500 in 1974. Dave is a two time champion for the Baja 500 in this car "Yankee Doodle". the only real difference between it and a Class 11 was it had a 2 liter engine in it per class 6 rules , but essentially the same early suspension with trimmed fenders and large tires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

YES for Class 6!!!!

Isn't that the Bug that later had American Flag stripes on the hood?

Class 6 was for production sedans. Which included all other brands of cars, like Mike Schwacofer's 55 Chevy and Arne Gustafson's Saab 99, and Snortin' Nortin's Chevy Nova, and Pintos and Falcon Rancheros...

But VW Bugs SO COMPLETELY DOMINATED Class 6, that in the late 70s, VW Bugs were banned from the class to let others have a chance.

By 1990, cars like the Larry Minor (funny car and dragster owner as well as early Baja Bronco racer) tube framed front V8 engine rear wheel drive Olds Cutlass (when Olds built them as V6 front wheel drive), and the wide body Walker Evans racing tube framed 20+ inch travel Jeep Cherokee took the class over.

It's been all down hill for the class ever since, until SCORE finally started a new Class 6 for trophy trucks with crate engines and limited width suspension.

Sadly, there is now no class for production-based sedans at all in off road racing.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

This image of a Bug has been a big influence on me since 1970.

It's from the front cover of the book that came before Jeff Hibbard's Baja Bugs and Buggies. It was called Baja Prepping VW Sedans and Buggies, also published by HP books.

This was a NORRA Production Sedan. That class inspired the SCORE Class 6. Same basic rules.

I've shared this image many times on here and other forums. But it's still a favorite car.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

Dusty, I don't recall a flag on it when it was painted white. When I inherited it, no hood was on it. I will ask Dave this week as I would like to find pics of it in white but since trackside shut down I havent been able to. Dave is like me as we just never thought about taking pics of our cars back then lol. We regret it alot. Thank God Jim Ober/Trackside did otherwise we would have zilch lol.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

Mine is not on the road yet. Cant wait until I can post action shots.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
Dusty, I don't recall a flag on it when it was painted white. When I inherited it, no hood was on it. I will ask Dave this week as I would like to find pics of it in white but since trackside shut down I havent been able to. Dave is like me as we just never thought about taking pics of our cars back then lol. We regret it alot. Thank God Jim Ober/Trackside did otherwise we would have zilch lol.

I've gone through life not taking pics of lots of things. Then after I started taking pics, Microsoft sent me a virus with 30 seconds to insert a Windows disc that I never had, and in fact haven't had for all but one of my computers. That virus wiped 10 years of photos along with all the rest of my hard drive. So I get wishing you had more photos of your past life.

I visited last weekend at the SNORE Battle at Primm with a now ex-photog for Trackside photos. The subject of the demise of Trackside was discussed.

It wasn't a whole flag, it was red and white stripes on just the hood itself that I recall. And I'm not 100% certain it was that car, but at the 1st glimpse of that picture, I thought instantly of the car with that hood, then the Yankee Doodle Dandy name on the car and the shape of the front bumper reinforced and matched that thought.
SoCalBajas Member
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
Mine is not on the road yet. Cant wait until I can post action shots.

NICE !!

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug

Motor = electric

www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

Thank you, Mr. Bill. Getting there.
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

Got Air? It ain't the prettiest but it runs like a scaled VW and survives to race another day.

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Show off your Class 11 or Class 11 Look-Alike Reply with quote

Link

SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: