Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

case savers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Augie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: case savers Reply with quote

I am looking for 12mm case savers. I see aircooled.net are out. Anyone have a source?

Thanks, Augie
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

Google search for "12 mm case savers" brought up a list of vendors.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

Augie wrote:
I am looking for 12mm case savers. I see aircooled.net are out. Anyone have a source?

Thanks, Augie

Auto zone, Car Craft, Advance Auto, etc...
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

Just curious, why doesn't anyone use helicoils. When I was in collage, instructor did a demo on them, you'd blow the case apart trying to get them to strip.
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

Heli-Coils are great. But if you can use even bigger outer diameter, it'll be even stronger.
They are very nice for repairing or reinforcing any of the M8 threads on the case.
For head studs, I would go case saver to maximise strength.
*edit*
I used a lot of Heli-Coils when working with engines in the past. They are really good when used in the right place. The first knockoff brand I saw and tried were called Re-Coil, and they were actually just as good.
Nowadays there are all kinds of cheap copies of copies that people would call by the original name.
I recently bought a cheap kit just to try it out on a frying pan that needed a thread repair.
The coils are goodish but the taps are sketchy garbage. Probably named differently across the globe depending on market preferences.
You get what you pay for.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

The reason they strip out is not just a matter of strength, it's more a matter of expansion and contraction and fatigue. They say the most load is on the first thread. So, the first thread breaks, then the second thread is the first thread, and it breaks, and so on. A helicoil does not solve this as well as a time sert.
Time sert probably does make a VW case saver but it will cost more, and requires the expander tool.
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The reason they strip out is not just a matter of strength, it's more a matter of expansion and contraction and fatigue. They say the most load is on the first thread. So, the first thread breaks, then the second thread is the first thread, and it breaks, and so on. A helicoil does not solve this as well as a time sert.
Time sert probably does make a VW case saver but it will cost more, and requires the expander tool.
This is true, but the first thread will be almost twice as strong as the stock first thread (M8 ), so there is a real benefit using them all the same. In the right place.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

Yeah, a heliciol is stronger than nothing, that's for sure. But they don't seal oil very well
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Yeah, a heliciol is stronger than nothing, that's for sure. But they don't seal oil very well
Now you're being grumpy. Heli-Coils have their place. If oil leaking is an issue, gaskets or glue will fix that.
If more strength is needed, a threaded bushing will be stronger. And theoretical oil leaks will still have to be adressed.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

Helicoils do have their place.....but not in cast aluminum or magnesium that is A. not hardened and B. Sees heat cycling.

Helicoils are nothing more than springs in reality. As load is appied in soft materials to the steel thread lands of the helicoil....if the host material deforms even the slighteat amount under load.....the helicoil expands with it ....side loading the thread lands.

At room temp you already get a few microns of defrormation of mag and aluminum. Adx heat expansion...and that side load grows. It will eventually shear the thread lands of the softer material.....meaning the case.

I only use helicoils in aluminum or mag...... A. When I am forced to and B. When its a large, non-heat cycling block of hardened metal.
Helicoils work very well in steel and cast iron.

Use an EZ-Lok solid wall insert or similar. The cost is no higher...and recently....most true value hardware stores have been carrying a decent range of EZ-lok brand solid wall inserts.

If you use a more coarse outer thread on the inserf...they will be stronger. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

springs!!! springs??? springs...realy ray springs.... I was in a pawn shop some 35 years ago..or more and they had this box of...heli coils there.no price. so we asked how much and they looked at the one in my brothers hand and said heck those tiny springs should be worth a penny a peace. so we bought a dollars worth. Shocked you I like tham springs but I dont see many places for them on the vw head stud issue.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

stanthedog wrote:
Just curious, why doesn't anyone use helicoils. When I was in collage, instructor did a demo on them, you'd blow the case apart trying to get them to strip.
Should've spent less time in art, more time in English class. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
stanthedog wrote:

What if your degree was in an Art field?...I do have a BFA working toward and MFA....Wink
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
springs!!! springs??? springs...realy ray springs.... I was in a pawn shop some 35 years ago..or more and they had this box of...heli coils there.no price. so we asked how much and they looked at the one in my brothers hand and said heck those tiny springs should be worth a penny a peace. so we bought a dollars worth. Shocked you I like tham springs but I dont see many places for them on the vw head stud issue.

Technically....yes....they are springs by design. Even though they are not made of spring steel...they are shaped like....and also behave like ....sprins in the fact that they expand and contract when pushed or pulled. This is a feature you do not want in a malleable metal.

That.....and I DO have a BFA.....primarily in product design. I parlayed that degree along with material studies in the Architetcure program....into work for numerous industrial equipment manufacturers. Having been into and worked in about 3800 manufacturing plants ranging from aircraft, automotive, appliances, medical devices, electronics.....you name it....over the past 28 years....including two spring manufacturing facilities
So when I describe a piece of metal as .....basically a spring....i probably have a good idea of what I am talking about.

And dont Dis art school. Not everyone with a BFA was involved in basket weaving and painting classes in these programs. Wink Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

settle down ray I wasent disagreeing with!! exzctly the opposite !!! as far as degrees /diplomas I have a few.... and also a BFH.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

Fenix wrote:
SBD wrote:
stanthedog wrote:

What if your degree was in an Art field?...I do have a BFA working toward and MFA....Wink
I've got a Bachelor's in Organismal Biology with a minor in Chemistry. Worthless degree! Very Happy Plus an Associate's Degree and degrees from a couple of tech schools. I'm a well educated ne'er-do-well! Rolling Eyes

Oh, and I have a brother with some high-falutin' art degree. Gotta' watch out for him. He was an art critic for a time! Wink

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
settle down ray I wasent disagreeing with!! exzctly the opposite !!! as far as degrees /diplomas I have a few.... and also a BFH.

I know......you are just stirring the pot and tweaking the noses...... Laughing ........I got your between the lines meaning. I just tweaked back in case others didn't.

But yes.....I dont see any place for those damn springs on VW head studs. Will they work? Sure!....but in the same respect and at about the same level.....so would JB weld. Laughing the question is how long?
Ray
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

Just curious here - in all the type 1 and 3 engines Dad and I rebuilt in the late '60s to the early '80s we never had to use a heli coil, case saver or had a pulled head stud. What were we doing wrong?

Granted, these were all basically stock engines. Is that the difference?
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Just curious here - in all the type 1 and 3 engines Dad and I rebuilt in the late '60s to the early '80s we never had to use a heli coil, case saver or had a pulled head stud. What were we doing wrong?

Is my guess is the weather inCanada.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: case savers Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

No...your engines were just in good shape and you were careful. With age, rust, grime and owners overtorqueing head studs....and/or hard driving and heat cycling.....it happens.

Personally....I like type 4 engines. We rarely if ever have the issue anyway. Aluminum case.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: