Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine rebuild for a 75 Scirocco?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
M4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Engine rebuild for a 75 Scirocco? Reply with quote

We just removed all parts from my 75 Scirocco 1.6l down to a short block, it won't turn over and it looks like the #4 piston is stuck. Does anyone have a suggestion for a rebuild? I'd really like a fuel injection option. I filled each cylinder with trans fluid and will check when I return to town this weekend.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild for a 75 Scirocco? Reply with quote

is get a 89-92 1.8 from a golf/jetta with the non cis fuel system... its a 10:1 big valve 1.8 and other then the waterneck on the head looks 100% like the oe one.. but lots more hp if you do a real fuel system to it.. will have electroic ijectors so can do a stand alone style system.. you can also do aba with 1.8 head and such too.. id waste no time/money on whats in it.. as the smile other options give are cheap
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild for a 75 Scirocco? Reply with quote

Rebuilding may be difficult due to finding pistons etc. Cost certainly would be high too.

Depending what your skill set is, I would either recommend a used engine from another CIS car. Possibly re-ring it, new bearings, and seals. The upper hose is different due to the placement of the hose flange. Other than that, it should be pretty much a bolt in.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild for a 75 Scirocco? Reply with quote

A 1975 Scirocco would have Zenith carb . I would look for a whole car and take what is needed.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild for a 75 Scirocco? Reply with quote

VW Dasher and Fox, Audi Fox, Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon had variations of the same engine that will fit too.

Or slip in a VW diesel and enjoy 60 mpg! Depends on what you want to use the car for.

Rebuilding is not difficult or expensive but I have not checked parts availability lately.

By the way I have an intake manifold around here somewhere from a '75 Sirocco that had a single barrel Solex on it from the factory.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild for a 75 Scirocco? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Or slip in a VW diesel and enjoy 60 mpg!

And take twice as long to get to where you are going. Do not forget to buy some ear plugs because people will be honking their horns because your going too slow.

Stick with gas! At least you will keep up with the others on the freeway.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild for a 75 Scirocco? Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
oprn wrote:
Or slip in a VW diesel and enjoy 60 mpg!

And take twice as long to get to where you are going. Do not forget to buy some ear plugs because people will be honking their horns because your going too slow.

Stick with gas! At least you will keep up with the others on the freeway.

The original Sirocco engine sported a spritely 74 HP at 6250rpm and was not exactly overpowered in case you have forgotten. My '81 rabbit diesel had over 80 HP at 5000rpm, we now have a '02 TDI with 90 HP and a '04 with 100 HP. These are all basically the same engine block and with a little ingenuity should fit right in. That car is also lighter than the newer ones so the performance resulting would be quite acceptable.
The nice thing about the diesels is when you go to pass or get to a hill you just roll on the throttle. With the gas engine it's an Olympic rowing act to get the revs up and find the power band.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild for a 75 Scirocco? Reply with quote

To clarify, there was no 1981 VW Rabbit diesel with 80HP [stock].
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk1

I understand what you are saying, you could modify the entire car to accept a diesel engine, but it would not be easy or as fast as installing a gas engine.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild for a 75 Scirocco? Reply with quote

'81 was the first year for the turbo diesel here in Canada and I had one.
M4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild for a 75 Scirocco? Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, I do want to stay with a gas engine. So a vw from 1989-92 will swap in, any more details on the swap engine ie is a 2.0L an option?

I have no problem buying another donor vw for the engine, wiring etc.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild for a 75 Scirocco? Reply with quote

Yes, '88-'92 engines will work fine. Ideally, source one from a Cabriolet as they already have the proper mount (& timing covers to fit that mount), & the intake (& fuel injection system) & exhaust manifolds are designed for that chassis. You may still want to keep the original exhaust manifold & downpipe as it should be a dual outlet vs the cabriolet may only be a single (either spring clamped or 4 bolt design.).

The 2.0 usually causes clearance issues with the hood due to taller block height & intake manifold that wraps over the valve cover. If you are going the "more complicated" route, I would suggest a 1.8T from a Golf/Jetta/Beetle before the 2.0.

The 1.9 TDI is a great option too, that's what I have in mine.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Engine rebuild for a 75 Scirocco? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
'81 was the first year for the turbo diesel here in Canada and I had one.

It would not matter where you purchased it, they never made any 80hp diesel in a Rabbit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_Volkswagen_engines

68HP was about it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: