Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time for a new fuel pump
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moondrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Time for a new fuel pump Reply with quote

On my 1600cc. Yet the one I´m intending to buy doesn´t "seem" to have that piercing-pin with the C-clip? Possible future issues?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Come to Think about it - Looking at my old pump, it doesn´t seem to have a pin aswell. Just a hexagon screw.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a new fuel pump Reply with quote

can't you get that carb in chrome?
Moondrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a new fuel pump Reply with quote

DeathTrap wrote:
can't you get that carb in chrome?

neeh. I already polished it up but it got greasy n Dirty Quick. Besides the numberplate is covering it anyways. But I see where u were goin with that Wink
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a new fuel pump Reply with quote

Moondrip wrote:
Come to Think about it - Looking at my old pump, it doesn´t seem to have a pin as well. Just a hexagon screw.

That could be an owner-added screw to fix a pivot rod issue.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a new fuel pump Reply with quote

Looks like the pivot pin is locked in by the chrome housing. Grease it and run it. Check psi. Good to go .
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a new fuel pump Reply with quote

there are a hundred other things on that engine that will give you "future issues" before any fuel pump ever will.
Roll it

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a new fuel pump Reply with quote

Anytime you need a pep talk or a confidence boost, just come right on here Laughing

Your old pump looks like it's a serviceable one. If u take the top off it there might be a furked o-ring or bust membrane u could maybe replace.

I think most of the pumps sold now are a bit of a gamble. Folks say the Brosol ones are good. I still have my Pierburg, and another Italian-make one I bought. But what u gotta do is get the right one. It depends on the size of your rod. Shocked 100something ish mm for alternator rod and different 100something-ish for generator rod. Mismatched pump and rod is bad news.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Moondrip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a new fuel pump Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
Anytime you need a pep talk or a confidence boost, just come right on here Laughing

Your old pump looks like it's a serviceable one. If u take the top off it there might be a furked o-ring or bust membrane u could maybe replace.

I think most of the pumps sold now are a bit of a gamble. Folks say the Brosol ones are good. I still have my Pierburg, and another Italian-make one I bought. But what u gotta do is get the right one. It depends on the size of your rod. Shocked 100something ish mm for alternator rod and different 100something-ish for generator rod. Mismatched pump and rod is bad news.

Oh I Always come here for for a confidence-boost Very Happy If someone could come over and hold my hand when I swap Components, that would be great too. But I guess it´s too much to ask when one lives in Cold Sweden haha.

It´s a generetor rod so I should be able to use the old one.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Time for a new fuel pump Reply with quote

Heck I'll come help you wrench. Can we ski afterwards, too?
Good luck and have fun.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a new fuel pump Reply with quote

I think I would stay away from that pump. If it doesn't have through holes for the pin to slide through, it must snap in from the bottom. Sounds like a failure point to me.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: