Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refinished vs Stainless Steel Bumpers
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Original bumpers for $500 plus re-chroming vs stainless steel
Original bumpers plus rechroming (approx $1,500)
80%
 80%  [ 16 ]
New Stainless Steel bumpers (approx $1,950)
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

figuers123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Refinished vs Stainless Steel Bumpers Reply with quote

I had my done in Charlotte NC at It'sfinished. They did a great job on the rechroming for my 74 Ghia. Cost me $650 including the bumper guards. They are kind of slow in getting the work done but now they look brand new. Would use them again. If you live in a different state go to a muscle car show and there will be a chrome shop or two.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Refinished vs Stainless Steel Bumpers Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
theghiagirl wrote:
I have heard and read so much bad stuff about the stainless bumpers. I personally would save up my money for originals. I was also told that if you have the stainless bumpers and one piece happens to get damaged that you have to buy a complete replacement bumper, the pieces are not interchangeable. This sounds to me to be a major issue and I'm not aware of them fixing this problem.

I haven't actually read every word of all the posts regarding the stainless steel replacement bumpers, so this is the first I've heard about the fact that you can not replace just the damaged individual pieces if necessary.

That is somewhat surprising to me, but given some of the installation issues that I have read others have encountered I suppose it should not be entirely unexpected.

Still ... if the individual bumper pieces could actually be purchased, then I would think that they could be tweeked/reworked enough to make them fit.
Of course at that point the actual "value" of the lower initial cost could disappear pretty quickly if you had to pay someone to make them work for you.

Personally, I look forward to the day when you can just put some chrome pellets into a 3D printer and whip up a complete new bumper whenever the need should arise. Smile

You can kind of of that now with Spray on Chrome.

http://www.nbc.com/jay-lenos-garage/video/spray-on-chrome/n35122

Not sure how well it would hold up on a bumper but most chrome on new cars uses this process.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Refinished vs Stainless Steel Bumpers Reply with quote

No one is paying $1950 for stainless steel bumpers. Should change the numbers in your poll.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Refinished vs Stainless Steel Bumpers Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
theghiagirl wrote:
I have heard and read so much bad stuff about the stainless bumpers. I personally would save up my money for originals. I was also told that if you have the stainless bumpers and one piece happens to get damaged that you have to buy a complete replacement bumper, the pieces are not interchangeable. This sounds to me to be a major issue and I'm not aware of them fixing this problem.

I haven't actually read every word of all the posts regarding the stainless steel replacement bumpers, so this is the first I've heard about the fact that you can not replace just the damaged individual pieces if necessary.

That is somewhat surprising to me, but given some of the installation issues that I have read others have encountered I suppose it should not be entirely unexpected.

Still ... if the individual bumper pieces could actually be purchased, then I would think that they could be tweeked/reworked enough to make them fit.
Of course at that point the actual "value" of the lower initial cost could disappear pretty quickly if you had to pay someone to make them work for you.

Personally, I look forward to the day when you can just put some chrome pellets into a 3D printer and whip up a complete new bumper whenever the need should arise. Smile

You can kind of of that now with Spray on Chrome.

http://www.nbc.com/jay-lenos-garage/video/spray-on-chrome/n35122

Not sure how well it would hold up on a bumper but most chrome on new cars uses this process.

If someone wanted the Euro style Karmann Ghia bumper look, they could just buy the fiberglass bumper blades for $270 from Glass-Action and then have them treated with that spray-on chrome process.

Realistically, I doubt that the OG chrome bumpers would really provide a great deal more crash protection than those fiberglass blades so they seem like a very viable and cost effective alternative to either a stock factory bumper or the stainless steel reproduction bumpers.

If Glass-Action would actually offer the fiberglass bumper blades with the spray-on chrome finish already applied, that would be really ideal IMO.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Refinished vs Stainless Steel Bumpers Reply with quote

Quote:
...If Glass-Action would actually offer the fiberglass bumper blades with the spray-on chrome finish already applied, that would be really ideal IMO.

I had toyed with ta similar idea. Before reading this thread I had thought of using Tintek "Chrome" vinyl wrap on fiberglass bumpers. If they can wrap an entire Camaro in the stuff a couple of bumpers should be a breeze. The spray-on chrome makes it that much easier.

Idea If you can't decide on a color, just have your entire Ghia sprayed in chrome Rolling Eyes

Link

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Refinished vs Stainless Steel Bumpers Reply with quote

I would rechrome before I spent the money for the stainless bumpers that way to many people have had big issues with. Look up the thread on them not so good
UberRobot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Refinished vs Stainless Steel Bumpers Reply with quote

So, a quick update. I ordered the stainless steel bumpers from CIP. Not my best experience with a supplier:
- I couldn't find a complete parts list on the site so I contacted them
- after a couple of back and forth emails, someone from CIP sent me a list of all the parts that were needed. They left a few parts out of the list, which created problems after we received them and I had to order more parts.
- the bumpers themselves were missing overrider pieces from the rear from the parts I purchased. We had to contact CIP to get them to send the missing pieces.
- rear bumper bracing brackets weren't included and weren't available on the CIP site. This created a lot of confusion when we contacted CIP. My mechanics sent them pictures of multiple Karmann Ghias showing the missing brackets. On a side note: the CIP bumpers had the holes for these brackets, even though they weren't familiar with them.
- I also ordered aluminum side trim molding at the same time as the bumpers. Some of the smaller pieces were also missing from this kit and we had to contact CIP again.

The prices are good and I have no doubt they will ultimately look great and CIP will get me all missing parts - but wanted to share the headaches with CIP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kdaousarmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Refinished vs Stainless Steel Bumpers Reply with quote

If your in Santa Ana CA area I recommend NewYear Metal it was $450 per blade and they patched a hole and smoothed the bumper, looks really clean, I imagine a whole factory bumper set would be $650ish per bumper.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Refinished vs Stainless Steel Bumpers Reply with quote

UberRobot wrote:
So, a quick update. I ordered the stainless steel bumpers from CIP. Not my best experience with a supplier:
- after a couple of back and forth emails, someone from CIP sent me a list of all the parts that were needed. They left a few parts out of the list, which created problems after we received them and I had to order more parts.
- the bumpers themselves were missing overrider pieces from the rear from the parts I purchased. We had to contact CIP to get them to send the missing pieces.
- rear bumper bracing brackets weren't included and weren't available on the CIP site. This created a lot of confusion when we contacted CIP. My mechanics sent them pictures of multiple Karmann Ghias showing the missing brackets. On a side note: the CIP bumpers had the holes for these brackets, even though they weren't familiar with them.
- I also ordered aluminum side trim molding at the same time as the bumpers. Some of the smaller pieces were also missing from this kit and we had to contact CIP again.

The prices are good and I have no doubt they will ultimately look great and CIP will get me all missing parts - but wanted to share the headaches with CIP.

Wow. This almost makes some of the dealings with Helen in Vietnam seem customer friendly!
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Refinished vs Stainless Steel Bumpers Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
UberRobot wrote:

Wow. This almost makes some of the dealings with Helen in Vietnam seem customer friendly!

I ordered my stainless bumpers from "Helen" the order came fast. From all I can tell every nut and bolt was in the box. I believe they cost $650 delivered.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: