Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

busworks wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but have you found the build date yet?

January 8th of 1959.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
Don't get rid of the welder, buy or rent a bottle of 25/75 and drop your wire thickness down to .025 ... clean the surfaces you are preparing to weld with sandpaper (not a wire wheel) and practice. I would pay close attention to the techniques used in those videos ie: hand position, nozzle position/ angle/ height from the work/ speed etc. and less attention to how pretty their welds come out. Don't get discouraged and don't fully burn something in when you know its not fitting right. Cut it off and start over. My .02 cents.

Eastwood isn't going anywhere. I like it. Plus for what I have in it, 3 year warranty, any issues I'm sending it back.
So far, I like it. All items are Lincoln replacement items.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:
..."the naked at school dream"

What did the psychiatrists finally figure this was?

Get the argon, snip the weld blob off the wire tip with dikes if you get one, don't protrude too far with the wire, slow wire speed medium heat at first, tilt away from the puddle but move toward it to progress. Get a solar self darkening lens as big as you can get, have a fire plan all in the ready, turn the bottle off when your done. These are my beginners' tips.

Your bottom square looks deece.

That were all batshit crazy, doomed, and destined to die. So live it up!

busworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

January 8th of 1959.[/quote]

Awesome! 10 days after mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Shame on me. Thought it was the 8th. Actually the 13th of '59.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
clean the surfaces you are preparing to weld with sandpaper (not a wire wheel) and practice.

Key advise. Not sure what or why but a wire wheel must leave something behind that messes up the surfaces for welding.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

So I have made the extensive NEED list for the Scab. Boy, it's a list, and doesn't quite have it all on their but most of the essentials.
To begin with the means of motion, I have a local guy, a good dude, who has a 1600 DP pulled from a early 70's bug that he is willing to part with for $400. Now, the overall condition isn't quite now, the bug he purchased and sold after pulling the motor, was supposedly on the verge of running but had a "fuel issue". The motor does turn over freely and smoothly. Though the compression isn't known, it needs some attention obviously, but to those in much more experience than myself, and seeing my "list" and its total, is it worthwhile to take a gamble on the engine shown below?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has been outside for the past year under a canopy, not in direct contact witH rain or sun, but sees them both nonetheless. Opinions?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Sounds like a pig in the poke engine. Better to get a core and rebuild it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Don't pay for it until you get it running well. If it won't run well, don't pay for it until you tear it apart to know if it has core value.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Sometimes budget dictates the decision to take a risk for me. If he'll let you bring some tools to check it for major headaches and it has good parts it may be worth it. If it means you can have a motor to work with now rather than a year from now that could be a consideration. A good case is going to cost you a couple hundred + alone. You'd just have to hope that case is good.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Thanks E&B.
Dennis, I'm interested if he'd go by an honor agreement.
I'm curious if I could use this 40HP I pulled out of the truck. It won't turn at all. Locked up and seemingly crunchy inside. What's the likelihood of the case being usable?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

I'm curious if I could use this 40HP I pulled out of the truck. It won't turn at all. Locked up and seemingly crunchy inside. What's the likelihood of the case being usable?

Only way to find out is do an autopsy.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Pass.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Can you give us an engine number photo? Depending on what that case is, it may or may not be worth building even if it does turn out OK. Some cases are better than others.

If the engine number is missing or unreadable, a clear shot of the rear, underside of the engine (below the crank pulley) will tell us if it is a universal case, and a shot from the bottom will tell us if it is dual relief. (all uni cases are dual relief I believe, but not all dual relief are uni)
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

I'd offer the guy $150 for the complete engine since it doesn't run. That way if the case is shot and the other internals are bad, you can part the rest out and recoup your money.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

This morning I woke up with some ambition, so with the time before work today, I tore into the 40HP I pulled out of the truck.
As you can see it has seen much better days. I was finally able to turn the motor freely. Well for the most part.

While assessing and pulling items off I was indeed able to verify what happened to this engine. Though not shown in the photos (I'll upload a link soon showing the damage) the piston on cylinder #2 actually exploded just behind the wrist pin from the connecting rod to the piston. I'm not sure what caused it, the backing of a snap ring coming loose or off allowing play?
Definitely going to have to split the case, so assessing cost of this engine, compared to the gambling DP, I'm undecided. I'm thinking I'll try to haggle some more, though I feel like an ungrateful ass. Thoughts?
Edit: link to piston detail
https://youtu.be/jBFSTHe3aD0

peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

You're not an ungrateful ass. There is no way that engine rang. Heck, it may never run based on what you think happened to it. You did the work this guy should have done. But if he did it, he would have known he couldn't sell it for what you paid. This hobby shouldn't be a roll of the dice with parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

Inherited a running DP 1600 engine that was from my Grandfather's last ride a late model Super Beetle. Put it in a 1967 SO-42 we found in a wrecking yard for $150.00, but missing the camping interior. Engine ran OK, but did not have the hill climbing power it should have. Also it went thru about a quart of oil every 500 miles. Built up a new engine, so took Grandpa's engine apart to rebuild it. One cylinder had a compression ring broken and that had scored up the cylinder, which in turn caused low compression and oil burning. Went thru the lower end to find case, crank, cam, where worn out. The only major long block parts that were rebuildable was the heads. In other words it was a loose formation of worn parts flying along.

Helped a nice guy for just $20.00 (cover gas to his place over a few weeks) to help him rebuild an engine that he got when he bought a 1970ish Bug. He was told that the "Engine ran when it was last parked in the backyard". Turned out one of the valves had broken off and gone through the piston. It might have still run at the time on three cylinders, but crank was only movable a short amount of degrees before hitting pieces inside. Still the fellow had bought the story and paid too much for the Bug due to that.

Have had lots of other experiences with DPOs we dealt with and friends that got the short end of the stick because of what turned out to be lies or at least folks who probably would not know which end of a screwdriver to use as a handle.

So if you really want us to tell you if that 1600 DP engine is a good buy from here, send us $300.00 non-refundable. We will put on turbans, rent a crystal ball and tell you... Laughing
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

I think you'll quickly know if that 40hp engine is salvageable when you split the case. I'd really clean the case carefully inside and out looking for corrosion since the pistons got water in them. Usually in the oil sump area is where the corrosion will take place if it sat with water in it.

You never know. You could get it apart and find an uncut crank and case! My original 67 engine in my bug I rebuilt a few years ago. The car had at least 150k miles on it though I could tell a top end had been completed. When I split the case, neither the original case or crank had ever been cut. The first line bore and the crank cut to 10 under and i was good to go.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: River Bank Survivor (59 Single Cab) Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
You're not an ungrateful ass. There is no way that engine rang. Heck, it may never run based on what you think happened to it. You did the work this guy should have done. But if he did it, he would have known he couldn't sell it for what you paid. This hobby shouldn't be a roll of the dice with parts.

The engine he tore apart and photographed is the 40 horse that was in the truck, not the 1600 DP he was offered for $400.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 30

Jump to: