Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akear wrote:
How accurate should the original clock be? Mine is running about 5 minutes fast over the course of a week. Should I try to slow it down or is that pretty good (meaning I might make it worse if I adjust it)? If the recommendation is to adjust, I guess just a tiny nudge of the adjusting screw, and clockwise, right?

Five minutes over a week sounds pretty good to me!
Mines not that good, but I haven't adjusted it as I have a negative disconnect on the battery which sometimes gets left disconnected!
I just reset mine to my watch at the start of a 'Ghia day'!

I think the adjusting screw has a tiny +/- engraving on it. I think you would need '-'. Apologies if that's wrong Wink

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

For the record, in response to a query I took a pic of the engraved mark by the adjustment screw. Tiny, hidden by a VDO label and/ or the copper earthing strap it reveals clockwise for slower, anticlockwise for faster!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dshawirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

Hello,
I realize this is an old post but I'm taking the chance you will read.
I am very grateful for all your hard work posting these photos & directions. Thank you.
I fixed my clock by soldering the 2 broken connections as you descripted.

Without sounding lazy or half-a... my question is;
Is wiring an inline fues to the clock an absolute necessity?
Thank you so much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

dshawirwin wrote:

Your assumption is correct. an inline fuse isn't required except for this …..

mcdonaldneal wrote:
As the battery voltage drops it loses the power to throw the flywheel and the two contacts in the first picture stick together, leading to a short circuit and melting the solder 'fuse'.

The extra fuse would avoid melting of the internal solder fuse when the car is left with the headlights on ( or radio or cranked to death ) and the battery flattens too far. When the clock fails in the manner described, you'd have to get it out again to fix… in addition to charging your battery and fixing whatever other problem caused the flat battery.

The fuse is there to make sure you stay happy.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
dshawirwin wrote:

Your assumption is correct. an inline fuse isn't required except for this …..

mcdonaldneal wrote:
As the battery voltage drops it loses the power to throw the flywheel and the two contacts in the first picture stick together, leading to a short circuit and melting the solder 'fuse'.

The extra fuse would avoid melting of the internal solder fuse when the car is left with the headlights on ( or radio or cranked to death ) and the battery flattens too far. When the clock fails in the manner described, you'd have to get it out again to fix… in addition to charging your battery and fixing whatever other problem caused the flat battery.

The fuse is there to make sure you stay happy.

Nicholas

Thanks Nicholas! An additional point is that the original solder at that repaired joint melted at a lower temperature than 'normal' electrical solder, so it could act as a fusible link.
After the repair with conventional solder, the risk is that the solder doesn't melt with a short circuit, starting an electrical fire. That is why the inline fuse is a good idea. 1A is fine.

The clock is one of the only electrical components not protected by a fuse in the fusebox. It takes its feed from the 'hot' side of the fusebox. I suppose you could move the feed to the clock to the other side of the fusebox and then it would be protected by the 8A fuse... Can't think of an obvious disadvantage of doing that, happy to be corrected! Wink

dshawirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

A very heplfull explaination. Thank you.
An inline fuse it is!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mizan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

Hey guys. I can recommend Novastar Type R Clock Oil for the pivots of this clock. It's cheap online. DO NOT USE WD-40, or anything in a spray can for that matter. Clocks have to be oiled with very special oil, and the Novastar barely does the job properly, but is miles and miles better than anything household.

You wouldn't use cooking oil in your motor, would you? Same idea with clocks, it will run all over the place then gum up and die.

If anybody knows who posted the PDF here on The Samba, its extremely helpful, but instructing to spray with WD-40 should be amended, bad idea.

No offence intended, just a word of warning I'm putting on the posts about the clock. Do right by your clock.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

Interesting thread, I am installing a factory set of Gauges in a slightly modified Ghia that had VDO's in it.
I have Re soldered some on Bus clocks before and they always failed within 6 months or so after.
I will be sending them out for a pro build as there are way too many other things to tackle on this car for my Customer.
One thing that struck me funny was the clock being at 10 before 2, it is actually supposed to be 10 after 10 as a tribute to when Lincoln was shot.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

Mizan wrote:
Hey guys. I can recommend Novastar Type R Clock Oil for the pivots of this clock. It's cheap online. DO NOT USE WD-40, or anything in a spray can for that matter. Clocks have to be oiled with very special oil, and the Novastar barely does the job properly, but is miles and miles better than anything household.

You wouldn't use cooking oil in your motor, would you? Same idea with clocks, it will run all over the place then gum up and die.

If anybody knows who posted the PDF here on The Samba, its extremely helpful, but instructing to spray with WD-40 should be amended, bad idea.

No offence intended, just a word of warning I'm putting on the posts about the clock. Do right by your clock.

Thanks for your post Mizan. I want this thread to be useful, so I'll clarify a couple of things.
The PDF in the first post of the thread is a scan of some typed instructions that happen to be in TheSamba archive. No-one in this thread has mentioned or recommended WD-40, which I agree would be a terrible idea for a number of reasons. In my experience of half a dozen of this specific clock type, clock oil has been too heavy and slows the mechanism. I (and others) have used light mineral oil in very small amounts successfully. It's not 'running all over the place'.
It would be interesting to know more about your experience of using Novastar clock oil on these clocks. If it is a better alternative, that would be great. What's your experience?
I'll hold my hands up and say (as I did early in the thread),
I'm no Clockmaster btw! Im just an idiot who thinks if he reads about something on the Internet, then he can do it!
You too can be that idiot!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Interesting thread, I am installing a factory set of Gauges in a slightly modified Ghia that had VDO's in it.
I have Re soldered some on Bus clocks before and they always failed within 6 months or so after.
I will be sending them out for a pro build as there are way too many other things to tackle on this car for my Customer.
One thing that struck me funny was the clock being at 10 before 2, it is actually supposed to be 10 after 10 as a tribute to when Lincoln was shot.

Stacy

That's funny Stacy, Shona (my wife!) and I were talking about this at the weekend! She says that the 10 to 2 convention (outside the U.S.!) is because it looks pleasing, she says its a 'happy time', like the clock is smiling! In clock shops here (and 95% of Karmann Ghias Wink ) that's what time most (stopped) clocks are set to. I didn't know about the Lincoln thing, cool, thanks Very Happy !

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

dshawirwin wrote:
Hello,
I realize this is an old post but I'm taking the chance you will read.
I am very grateful for all your hard work posting these photos & directions. Thank you.
I fixed my clock by soldering the 2 broken connections as you descripted.

Without sounding lazy or half-a... my question is;
Thank you so much

While I'm tying up loose ends in this thread... Wink

I've been rewiring my Ghia and, it turns out that, according to the wiring diagram, the clock power should come off the fused side of No9 fuse and then the power goes to the interior light. Mine had been wired wrongly to the hot side Rolling Eyes .
So, the clock is theoretically protected by an 8A fuse but, judging by the number of melted fusible links, that is still too much current, so I would still recommend an in-line 1A fuse.
Hope that helps!

Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

I'm trying to fix my clock, too, and have found this thread very helpful. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help with.

I opened the clock and found the solder fuse broken. I soldered the contacts together, installed an in-line 1 amp fuse and reinstalled the clock. I also added a ground wire since the case wasn't grounded. After hooking up the battery, I could hear a clunking sound coming from the clock that lasted for about one minute. I disconnected the clock. The fuse had not blow.

I took the clock out and apart again and found that the contacts on the winding wheel were stuck together. I freed these up and cleaned them with an fine grit emery board. I then decided to bench test before reinstalling the clock. The winding wheel works fine if turned by hand but it does not move with electrical power. Now when I test it I can see a small spark at the winding wheel contacts but the wheel doesn't move and the 1 amp fuse blows.

So, my questions:

1. Does anyone know how the coil-winding wheel works? Is the wheel magnetic? Any thoughts as to why power would be present at the contacts (spark visible) but the wheel not turn?

2. Unrelated to my troubles, but for future reference: Is 1 amp a big enough fuse? Others have said it works but is this in bench testing or in the car? When installed, a 1 amp fuse between the fuse box and clock means that current for both the clock and the interior light are going through that fuse. If the clock winds while the interior light is on will the fuse blow?
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

Hi Hokie87,
Last question first! My suggestion of the 1A inline fuse goes back to when I originally fixed my clock. It was wired up differently, from the unfused side of the fusebox! The wiring diagram does have the interior light getting power after the clock, and so the 1A might not be enough. Actually, wired correctly, the clock is protected by the 8A fusebox fuse. Personally, I have supplied the clock on its own red wire, so it is protected by the 8A and its own 1A fuse. 1A is enough for the clock alone.
I'm not sure what's happening with your mechanism. I believe the winding wheel is 'thrown back' by an electromagnet, activated by the closing contacts. If you don't have enough voltage, the contacts stick and create a short, which I think is why the solder link blows. 9v is usually enough though, as a bench test. It may be that another part of your wiring has gone, but if you solder link is still intact, just try running the clock off 12v with a good ground and no fuse (temporarily!). If it doesn't work at that your problems may be deeper Crying or Very sad !
Good luck, and repost whatever happens Wink !

Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

I found my problem then caused a worse problem.

The clock wouldn't wind because the arm that drives the first wheel was backwards. It should push the wheel like in the first picture, not pull it like in the second picture. Hooked up incorrectly, it might be too much resistance for the winding wheel to rotate when energy is applied.

Once I corrected this, it ran beautifully...for four cycles. Then the coil smoked. Sad Now looking for a parts clock to take the coil from.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

Ah. That would do it Sad !
I guess that arm must have been forced around at some point. It could happen if the support arm was pushed in the wrong direction.
Good luck with the repair. Look out for a clock that is 'dead' for the usual reasons. It would be an easier repair.
Please post your results!...

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

if you work out how to rwmove the burnt coil, you might be able to rewind it instead of searching for another. The wiire is common in electronics hobby shops and you turn the bobbin with an electric drill. just depends on how far you want to go
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

Fixed!

I found a donor clock and used the back panel with the coil from the donor rather than trying to rewind the coil in mine. Runs perfectly now.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

Hey, good skills!
Well done, and it's good to know that's a possibility!
It's amazing to me how repairable some of our VW stuff is!

Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

So I've got a question.
what would cause the clock to stop mid cycle?
I hook up my clock to 12v. When the points connect, It springs out and the windings/escape go into motion. About midway through before the points reconnect, the momentum is lost and the the escapement stops along with all the gears. If I bring the points back together and then reapply the 12v it goes back into motion again.

Here's a quick clip of what I'm talking about. Sorry it's as boring as watching time go by. Rolling Eyes

Link
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: VDO Kienzle Ghia clock repair Reply with quote

Could be nothing more than friction, caused by a lack of lube.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: