Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Failing fuel pump, symptom of the weather, or bad karma?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
specialev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Failing fuel pump, symptom of the weather, or bad karma? Reply with quote

Went to start up my doka this am to drive to work and it started and idled up really fast then died. My fuel pump wasn't spinning up. It probably just leaned itself out and ran a little faster as it ran out of what little pressurized fuel was in the fuel rail. I whacked the pump a couple times and it started working again.

I used to have an MG that had an SU pump that did the same thing and having to whack the pump was a normal maintenance procedure. Never had this issue on one of these bosch rotary pumps, although I have had them clog with bits of junk.

It was about 25f during the night and she sleeps outside. The doka has seen much colder weather and not missed a beat. Think I just got some fuel with more water in it than usual and it iced up?

I did put on my 'fuck this shit' socks this am.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Failing fuel pump, symptom of the weather, or bad karma? Reply with quote

Sir, your socks are soiled.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Failing fuel pump, symptom of the weather, or bad karma? Reply with quote

specialev wrote:
Went to start up my doka this am to drive to work and it started and idled up really fast then died. My fuel pump wasn't spinning up. It probably just leaned itself out and ran a little faster as it ran out of what little pressurized fuel was in the fuel rail. I whacked the pump a couple times and it started working again.

I used to have an MG that had an SU pump that did the same thing and having to whack the pump was a normal maintenance procedure. Never had this issue on one of these bosch rotary pumps, although I have had them clog with bits of junk.

It was about 25f during the night and she sleeps outside. The doka has seen much colder weather and not missed a beat. Think I just got some fuel with more water in it than usual and it iced up?

I did put on my 'fuck this shit' socks this am.

great, now your feet got shit on them.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Failing fuel pump, symptom of the weather, or bad karma? Reply with quote

My experience with electric fuel pumps in two other vehicles is that they do not partially fail. They work or else they do not work. Might be wiring or connections if the whack gets you going.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Failing fuel pump, symptom of the weather, or bad karma? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
My experience with electric fuel pumps in two other vehicles is that they do not partially fail. They work or else they do not work. Might be wiring or connections if the whack gets you going.

I've had the exact opposite experience. My electric fuel pump had a failure mode in which it needed a nudge to start spinning again.

Reliably reproducible towards the end of its life, I would be on the freeway and the van would suddenly die. As I pulled over, if I ran over the Botts Dots (lane reflectors) it would give the pump the jolt it needed to work again. If I was stationary when it happened a few bangs with a screwdriver handle got it going again.

Didn't touch the wiring and installed a new pump and all was well. Not bad for 30 years in service.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: