Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horrible gas mileage rough idle mild rhythmic power surges
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahrenswett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Horrible gas mileage rough idle mild rhythmic power surges Reply with quote

Hey everybody I am having some crazy problems with my 84 1.9 Vanagon. I drove from Seattle to Portland and was on the red after 100miles. My mass airflow sensor was replaced with a rebuilt one the engine was rebuilt approximately 15000 miles ago. Before it was replaced I was getting around 23 miles per gallon and afterwards 18 LOL I've seen posts on checking timing here, but they're all so different I'm wondering if that might be part of the problem I do have a Bentley but confused on where to begin.

When first starting it seems to be fine however as it heats up it gets a little rougher period Then when driving in first it will be slugish and then it will surge all the sudden. On the freeway it's kind of a rhythmic power surge to slowly sluggish with a quick the power and then slowly back to sluggish over 20 seconds ish.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Horrible gas mileage rough idle mild rhythmic power surges Reply with quote

Oxygen sensor? Temp II sensor?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Horrible gas mileage rough idle mild rhythmic power surges Reply with quote

Not every mileage & running issue is a problem with the coax on the O2 lead - but it is simple to check and either fix or scratch off the list:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?sid...42#8362142

ahrenswett wrote:
...When first starting it seems to be fine however...

That's a clue. I'm thinking that the aforementioned coax short does not affect running at first as the ECU ignores the O2 sensor for a short bit after start up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: