Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Air conditioning compressor heat shielding Reply with quote

I forgot to show how I added Air conditioning compressor heat shielding to the zetec.

Photos show all but I basically took two 90 degree braces, and bent one leg up about halfway. Kind of the letter "U", with one side shorter. Then attached the compressor using the long side of the U, and put a shield on the short side. An old license plate will work, here I had a baking sheet.

On top of the compressor I added a commercial shield I picked up off Ebay.
Everything can be removed in about one minute, if you need to get at something.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope this was helpful!
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: It's Curtains for us, Batman! Reply with quote

Wrapping up this build thread...

The air conditioning system held vacuum nicely and I put in 2 cans of Redtek 12A, plus Dry2, and Oil, total charge of 16 oz. Cold here in New England, so the pressure readings were 28/155 and I left it at that. When I run into warm weather, I'll find out if it's working.

I had the windows professionally tinted. My DIY job on the 89 resulted in a very bad job, so the GF was adamant I had to pay for it. They did a great job! So that's what it's supposed to look like.

Turns out the sliding window on the sliding door is plexiglass, I'd never noticed. Looked for a replacement window, most are for vanagons, not the Westfalia.

Sewed new curtains for the windows. Fabric cost $80. hooks and shirring tape another $20, then about 8 hours of sewing.

I used the Wiki plans, and they were easy to follow. I was reverse engineering things until I stumbled upon them.

The old brown curtains are up for grabs, just pay postage. I'm gone until 11/18, and won't get any messages. If no one wants them I'll toss them around the end of November. edit on 11/6: GONE to new home!

So the 86 runs like a champ, very quiet. Looking forward to traveling in it.
This is my last do-over, but this unit is nicer than the other two. Does need a paint job, but can't afford that. Wonder what's the best rattle-can spray paint brand????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Went to Florida on January 10, my shakedown cruise. Put close to 5,000 miles on the unit.

Just about everything fell off, broke off, or stopped working. The zetec ran great, but the overheat light blinks on for no known reason. Temperatures on the Ultragauge read OK, the needle stays below the light, still blinks. Pull over to gas up, the light stays off for next 200 miles. Tried venting the system many times, no change. Ordered in the new Bostig coolant fill tower.

The air conditioning isn't working. Will work on that when the weather gets warm. If it just won't work, I'll yank it all out.

The gas tank needs to be re-sealed, ordered in the kit. I just made sure never to overfill it.

Window crank broke off, roof vent nuts and bolts rattled off, radio stopped working, sliding door panel fell off, and other little things. I have a long list of things to do when the weather gets better.

I'd rented a house near Disney, then camped the last 5 days at Fort Wilderness.
Everyone else in the campground have units that you can land a Cessna on the roof, so I stood out. Everyone loved the Westy!

I set up the Bus Depot Add-A-Room onto the Fiamma, it worked great. Note I wasn't going for perfection on my first attempt, and will fine tune it in the future.

Trip home on February 16 went well. Most roads in the South are 70 mph, I drove at 75+-. Can't wait to go back next winter!

Last edited by JudoJeff on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

When enough things go wrong in succession, you just start laughing uncontrollably. I admire your fortitude and attitude.

Best!
John DVA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

That's awesome, JudoJeff. That Add-A-Room definitely creates more space.

As with most mechanical products, keeping that awning clean and lubricated will enable it to last a long time.

Good job, man!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Working on my long list Reply with quote

Taking advantage of uncommonly warm weather, I've been Working on my long list of minor and major repairs.

Found the zetec's serpentine belt shredded. Seems an alternator bolt backed out, and touched the belt. No biggie to repair, just surprised. Lock tighted that sucker down.

Installed the new Bostig fill tower. I bought a radiator pressure tester at HF for $25, used it to find why my idiot light seemed to come on/off. Found a bad hose clamp at 14 psi, and then bled ALL the air out of the radiator. Hope this fixes the problem.

The only big thing to do now is the gas tank re-seal. Have to wait for warm weather, it's gone away, cold again. Will amuse myself repairing the little stuff....and daydreaming about future camping trips.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Glad things are working out!

Any "new to me" vehicle tends to need extra "love".

I'm trying to remember if Pat put in a new skylight? I'm thinking he did. He fancied himself as mechanically inclined but alas.......he was not.

Did you leave in his headlight "upgrades" or did you return to a "normal" light setup?

Anyway,
Thanks for the updates! Enjoy the unit.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Dave,
Yes, new skylight, all the nuts fell off in Florida. Just re-installed it today.

I removed all the headlight "upgrades", and went with LEDs and a relay from Jay Brown. No problems with those.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Regarding A/C.......

If I had your unit, I would leave in the Behr in dash unit.

I never liked sacrificing the under bench area for the evaporator in the rear. I'd pull that for sure.
I would then source a VW rear evaporator assembly and plumb that in for rear A/C, that upper shelf isn't near as big of a storage loss as under the bench is.

Before getting a rear unit, I'd sure be tempted to try only the in dash unit alone. If it's just the two of you traveling the cold air out of the dash may be perfectly adequate.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Dave,
Not sure why it doesn't work, my pressure numbers were right on, 28/150. Won't have any answers until warm weather and more diddling.

Your idea of using only the front is worthwhile.

BTW, when you charged it, did you get cold air?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Yes, I did. I made a thread on it trying to figure out how much the Behr system took but ended up just "winging it".

Remember when you picked it up I had mentioned it lost the charge?

Obviously you replaced the A/C compressor along with the engine. That eliminates shaft seals.......

I would bite the bullet and run new hoses throughout along with new joint seals.
I'd bypass the rear unit and focus on the front alone, add the rear one if the need was obvious.
Doing so will also isolate the leakage if its Evaporator related.

Any stone damages to the Condensor? I'd be tempted to throw in the cross flow one anyway. Add a new rec/dryer with a binary pressure shut off switch in it too.

Hey! It's only money!

Good luck!

(If you recall YOU taught me the joy of EZ Clip A/C repairs!..... thanks! Honestly, One of the greatest lessons ever.)

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Dave,
I've actually done all that you suggest, doesn't blow cold air. But it was 10 degrees the day I charged it, so only went by the numbers.

Blew out everything, didn't see much crud. Condenser is parallel flow, new from my 89. All new Gh134 hoses, drier, TXV was cleaned and re-used, etc. so if you got cold air it should work for me when I tweak it.

I haven't used my tools yet to see if the charge of R12A is still in there. Vacuum test was passed with flying colors, so it should be good. Manifold gauges,etc on the top shelf, have to climb up and haul the crate down.

Will let you know if it works, air conditioning is important to me.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Florida in 2018 Reply with quote

Booked the house rental again for January and February 2018. Besides Disney and ballroom dancing, want to do more fishing.

Not going to drive the Westfalia because not camping anywhere, and gas costs. My Toyota gets 42 mpg versus VW's 18.5 mpg, so cost saving on 5,000 miles is around $400. (At average price of $2.20)

If I change my plans to say visit the Keys and camp, well I'll need the air conditioning to work.
John DVA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Hold out until Thursday, cold front will be here. Highs in the mid 70's through the weekend in central Florida. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Picked up a spare engine Reply with quote

While looking for zetec engines for someone else, I stumbled across a 2000 with a listed 10,000 miles. Drove down and bought it!

If you're thinking of doing this conversion, here's a how-to list for buying a good engine:

https://bostig.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/204149035-Buying-a-Zetec-at-a-junkyard

The 2000 engine was manufactured by Ford in August, 2000, the junkyard got it in June 2001, then promptly lost track of it for 16 years! They told me they weren't sure of the mileage, but it was "low". Well, after cleaning it up and taking things apart, I'm convinced it has less than 5k on it. The oil was very clean, no wear, everything looks new. My hypothesis is someone who didn't know how to drive a standard crashed it soon after buying it.

All the tolerances are perfect, and after getting the inch of dust off, it looks great. I did Bostig prep steps just to be ready if I ever need it in the future , then put it into storage.

JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

I installed the SmallCar in Dash system for air conditioning. My notes start on page 11 of the thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591615
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: