Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Folk art Carved Wooden Beetle
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
felixthevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Folk art Carved Wooden Beetle Reply with quote

Hi all- just added this massive carved bug to my collection and curious if anyone has a guess on its origins.

The carving is very symmetrical, with wire 'half axle' nails welded tip to tip and attached in a groove via fence staples. It is carved out of a block made by gluing 7 dense pine(?) boards together and was originally painted white. There were bumper holes but no bumpers so I went ahead and made some aluminum ones since I have no idea what was originally there. It smells old, the paint (even the over-paint) looks old. No windows or other identifiers- only detail is a small, square raised license plate. Guessing '50s and it has a split/oval-era feel to it. Carved by a returning G.I.? Old-time VWCA? Shop class? I'm calling it Megabug- the Tonka bug is there to show the beast's size.. 18" long

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Rolling Eyes

Interesting Very Happy

First time I have ever seen something like this before Exclamation

I "Wood Knot" know the origin ? ? ?

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LowType2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will Ash some friends and then Cherry pick the best ones Willow that be ok???
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen one before either, and I doubt it holds any extreme collector value. I'd suggest you continue turning it into something unique.

It's like a blank art canvas. You could repaint the body, paint or airbrush in windows and body details, make hubcaps, headlights and door handles, etc, using found objects. A pinstriper could paint the body lines. You could take this wood block to the next level.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Folk art Carved Wooden Beetle Reply with quote

Along the lines of folk art, here's a little souvenir made on Peru that I found in a souvenir shop in Old San Juan:

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: