Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ezetom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Im doing a "qausi overhaul" of my 2.1....

I have all of the cylinders out, and my question,, what is the "service limit" for scrapping them?

From my measurments, the cyliders are worn about half a though, and the pistons about 2.. The manual I have states the maximum piston to cylinder clearance is 8 though... but that seems really high!.

What is the consensus of maximum wear/clearance before scrapping them and buying new units?

Cheers

Tom
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

Not a wear limit per se, but a range is given here:

http://www.vanagonauts.com/2.1l-vanagon-specs234.htm
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

it would be helpful to add units to the sizes mentioned. 2, 8???????? inches, meters, the kings forearm?

pistons worn half way, half way to what?

then we can talk a bit about out of roundness, surface finsh etc.... and dont foget piston pin fit either since we are talking pistons after all.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

What is the current compression ring end gap when installed in the holes?

Each corresponding ring for it's hole.

Measure the end gap.

You do have a feeler gauge--right?
ezetom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

Sorry I was using English units..

I lightly honed the cylinders... I could probably hone them a tad more,, but they dont look bad...

I didn't measure the wrist pins/piston hole but they seem to fit "nice" (with the ridge removed from the piston beside where the snap ring goes.

Im kind of on the fence about using these... but then again, Im on the fence about using Chinese crap as well..

I come from the aviation business, and we have more more defined limits for new, service, and overhaul...

It kinda seems like the "new" clearance is 0.001-0.002" with the service limit at 0.008" - but I dont think anyone would put an engine together with a clearance of 0.008" as you would immediately wear beyond service limits..

I have a new set of rods coming from VC,, and I can confirm the ones I have are ovaled on the big end... around 0.0025"... Smile

Thoughts?

Tom

ps I will post some pics of the rod bearings that came out with this... scary... Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

I see what the book says, but .002" is a tight fit. Agree with the wear limit of .008". At that point, you'd probably have some piston slap.

What is more important is how round the cylinder is top to bottom. You should measure at 3 places with your bore gauge. If the taper is minimal, I'd re-ring it and put it back together.
ezetom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

I did measure the cylinders in a bunch of different places,, and there really wasnt any taper.. just a bit of out of roundness.

It would be interesting to see what a new set of chinese cylinders and pistons would measure...

FYI these are the rod bearings... I think I was getting close to the "end" Smile

Interestingly enough, the crank is still good...

Does anyone have experience with the copper head gaskets? I might get a set waterjet cut locally - think I can get away with making them a tad thinner for a tad more compression?

Tom

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

While measuring things is fun, honestly, these cylinders don't wear much.

Easy no tool way to tell? Is there a ridge at the top of the compression stroke where the rings ride?

I Bet the answer is no.
No wear there, it is highly likely there is no wear anywhere.
OTOH
The pistons are softer metal, yes, measure them.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ezetom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Have you re ringed pistons with around 3-4 thousands clearance?

I think Im going to be ok, but would be nice to hear from someone that has been in the same ballpark.

Cheers

tom
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

BTDT it's running great.

That doesn't mean everyone is comfortable doing likewise.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ezetom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

cool...

I think Im gonna just re ring it.. save some $$

Did you use the copper gaskets?
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

Voids in rod bearings are acid damage. That engine likely saw lots of short-run use without full warmup, on top of neglected lube service. Much of the chrome coating on the cam bearings has probably also come off, those are the largish shiny silver flakes you often find.

Quote:
I see what the book says, but .002" is a tight fit.

No, .002" would be at the edge of tolerable, skirt-edge clearance is ten to fifteen tenths. Four thou may still have slap even when warm.

Quote:
Im on the fence about using Chinese crap as well

Well you could just get the Chinese good stuff instead, I mean, really, you have choices.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

OP, ^^^^ If I were in your shoes 10c is the one to follow on this issue. He builds a beautiful engine.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

your cylinder pictured still have scratches (grooves) worn into it even after honing. thats not good. please recheck them for wear grooves.

there are other choices than china as a piston source. JE pistons makes a piston as does keith black good usa made stuff. years back some chinese pistons were known to have the wrist pin in the wrong spot, so compression suffered unless you corrected for it, I heard the pin hole was corrected. I also heard that some sets of four had a wide range of weights. a builder I know would take several sets and select the best wieght match for four of them, mix and match. this was some years ago, quality may be different now. I heard it was getting better (aa brand) But on my motors some ten years ago I used the two afore mentioned American piston makers. I both cases I elected for a larger bore so my 2.1 motor became a 2.2 motor, used stock cylinders, over bored. my air cooled went from 2.0 to 2.1 with new cylinders. at anyrate thereare a lot more choices than china as a supplier.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: measuring 2.1 cylinders and pistons Reply with quote

One other option for a piston kit is a 95.5mm set from Rocky Jennings. I picked up a kit from him a couple years ago and it's working well for me. That kit has the correct deck height so you don't have to mess with offset rods. You can see his stuff in the classifieds if you search for RJE although he doesn't advertise his 95.5 kit. Just give him a call if you are interested in checking out that route. At the time I paid $485 for pistons and liners. He uses rings he likes better than other kits and balances everything really we'll. He may be a source for rings, I can't remember if he sells them separately or not.

It's a slippery slope talking to Rocky because he builds race engines and has quite a few options for the WBX engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: