Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 beetle fuel in oil
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

i have 72 beetle and ive recently encountered fuel lock in the combustion chambers, after that it evolved into fuel in the oil, removed all the oil changed filter and filled with new oil and lo and behold fuel is back in the oil. I was told by some beetle shop owners that my beetle sits on an angle and that was causing the chambers to fill with fuel but i started placing it on a curved street. i need help on what to do about fuel in the oil since recently my beetle pushed put all the oil via the filler tube breather and i cant get it to stop.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

If the cylinders filled with fuel you likely have a stuck float valve or a failing float in the carburetor. Rebuild the carb (or have someone do it) and test the fuel pressure the fuel pump is putting out while you are at it.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

It's also possible that the fuel pump is leaking internally.

so what are the choices?

A mechanic to discern
perhaps a 50/50 crapshoot

or maybe he gets it right

or maybe he does both

or maybe he can't do either competantly

so you gonna play mechanic

leave the fuel lines connected
unbolt the carb from base
and the fuel pump from base
presurize the system and see which dribbles

sounds easy enough

a carb kit is what $15 and a fuel pump $30
of course a mechanic wants $500 for both a couple hoses a clamp or two and a new cheapo filter
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

It is normal to have some gas in the oil as your carbs purge a little gas into the intake as they cool off from a bumpy ride. this should not be more than about half a measured ''cup'' for dual carbs. Most of it evaporates before it can get into the case anyway that is why your car will smell of gas after a drive.
eries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
If the cylinders filled with fuel you likely have a stuck float valve or a failing float in the carburetor. Rebuild the carb (or have someone do it) and test the fuel pressure the fuel pump is putting out while you are at it.

i will do this, seems that this right now is the most common problem and cheapest.
my fuel pump is electronic can that be an issue when checking fuel pressure pump easily?
eries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

DeathTrap wrote:
It's also possible that the fuel pump is leaking internally.

so what are the choices?

A mechanic to discern
perhaps a 50/50 crapshoot

or maybe he gets it right

or maybe he does both

or maybe he can't do either competantly

so you gonna play mechanic

leave the fuel lines connected
unbolt the carb from base
and the fuel pump from base
presurize the system and see which dribbles

sounds easy enough

a carb kit is what $15 and a fuel pump $30
of course a mechanic wants $500 for both a couple hoses a clamp or two and a new cheapo filter

yea a mechanic that knows enough about beetles is hard to find. i know a shop that has vw parts and kits for carbs i will most likely get one but a im new to classic vw so i may not be the best to do this.
eries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

andrewvwclassic wrote:
It is normal to have some gas in the oil as your carbs purge a little gas into the intake as they cool off from a bumpy ride. this should not be more than about half a measured ''cup'' for dual carbs. Most of it evaporates before it can get into the case anyway that is why your car will smell of gas after a drive.
this would be okay if it didnt shoot out all of the oil out the oil fill drain. and not drain like water when changing the oil or smoke like cheech and chong.
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

So a carb brand new is now under a hundred

and someone mentioned a source for a reputable pump for like 30

it's one or the other

no worry about sludge, eh?

how do you presurize the fuel system to entice flow for testing

big cork gas cap sized with a valve stem

I've used a rag wrapped around a blow gun a few squirts of air it would woosh down a nd a few more. A 2 person job. one pressurizing woosh woosh woosh
the other lifting the carb or pump off it's base to find the culprit

72 should have a certian can and evaporative emissions and would perhaps run with some pressure in tank already.
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

eries wrote:
andrewvwclassic wrote:
this would be okay if it didnt shoot out all of the oil out the oil fill drain. and not drain like water when changing the oil or smoke like cheech and chong.

Ya sounds like you may have a little more going on than the normal, these guys have clued you in on the other known problems with fuel in the gas, just remember in any circumstance to change your oil frequently as these cars are known to catch fire. I have heard that gas in the oil is bad as it causes scavenging or something, but a little gas is normal remember those nice garden tools that your local landscaper uses are doing just that to lubricate the cylinder. It is called a 2 stroke and granted they are less reliable still work for the most part.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

Hello.
Our cars do not normally find gas in the oil. It does happen when something fails.
A mechanical fuel pump's rubber diagram ruptures or possibly the needle valve within the carb doesn't shut off resulting in it flooding over. Those are the two things to look at.
Bill.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

YOu said you have an electric fuel pump. Have you measured the pressure? I have a couple in my parts boxes that came out of VWs and when I checked the part numbers for specs, a couple were around 8-10 lbs, which is way too much. I would need to use a pressure regulator if I used those. And God fobid someone installed a pump for a fuel injected car. what are those - 30-40lbs?

Dumb question - new problem or is car new to you?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

yea a mechanic that knows enough about beetles is hard to find. i know a shop that has vw parts and kits for carbs i will most likely get one but a im new to classic vw so i may not be the best to do this.[/quote]

Hi. Where you at in Calif? Knowing your location could guide you to a qualified air-cooled shop or a local club that has members eager to help newbies.
Bill
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
eries wrote:
yea a mechanic that knows enough about beetles is hard to find. i know a shop that has vw parts and kits for carbs i will most likely get one but a im new to classic vw so i may not be the best to do this.

Hi. Where you at in Calif? Knowing your location could guide you to a qualified air-cooled shop or a local club that has members eager to help newbies.
Bill

Shocked
You want a lack of mechanics w/knowledge about ACVWs...? As far as I've been able to determine over the last 5 years, there are only four w/in a 100 mile radius of where I live: one is a backyard mechanic who does it as a side hobby at night; one is mostly a parts vendor, but does repairs on a cash-only basis; one only builds engines at exorbitant prices, particularly T4 conversions; and the last has an actual full service shop -parts, rebuilds, machining, bodywork - about 50 miles from my house. From what I read on the forums and see in the classifieds, I would think anywhere in Cali you might find a dozen capable ACVW mechanics w/in the same distance!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
YOu said you have an electric fuel pump. Have you measured the pressure? I have a couple in my parts boxes that came out of VWs and when I checked the part numbers for specs, a couple were around 8-10 lbs, which is way too much. I would need to use a pressure regulator if I used those. And God fobid someone installed a pump for a fuel injected car. what are those - 30-40lbs?

Dumb question - new problem or is car new to you?

yes the car is new to me but this problem is recent didnt have this problem when car was bought or when engine was rebuilt.
eries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:

Bill[/quote]

yes southern california in orange county
eries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 beetle fuel in oil Reply with quote

DeathTrap wrote:
So a carb brand new is now under a hundred

and someone mentioned a source for a reputable pump for like 30

it's one or the other

no worry about sludge, eh?

how do you presurize the fuel system to entice flow for testing

big cork gas cap sized with a valve stem

I've used a rag wrapped around a blow gun a few squirts of air it would woosh down a nd a few more. A 2 person job. one pressurizing woosh woosh woosh
the other lifting the carb or pump off it's base to find the culprit

72 should have a certian can and evaporative emissions and would perhaps run with some pressure in tank already.

Yes it should have the canister but i tdoesnt and ive looked around and most shops and generally a vw people say you wont find any at all. also it should have some small breather hoses running around the car body but that seems like a bad idea for the vehicle given its history. good idea for starting fires though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: