Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What the heak did I do?!?!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael951
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

I was trying to get the crank pulley off and it snapped!? How do I get the broken part off the crank? I used a pulley puller and snap! I need a beer... and help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71superAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

Can your puller invert the jaws to get that out from the ID?

If not... case is getting split open? Confused
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

Might be able to split it with a chisel.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael951
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

I'm going to take another picture without that seal, Im not are if the outer ring is apart of the crank or the pulley.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

Can you get in there with your dremel tool equipped with a cutoff wheel?
I'd approach it with the idea of weakening the remaining band by cutting a relief slot in it- being careful not to cut through to the case. Two slots and you could easily pry the remains out.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Michael951
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

See where my fingers pointing? Is that a part of the crank or of the pulley?

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

thats the steel wear sleve on the pully. remove seal and... well I might be able to pull it but I dont know about you. you could knotch the steel sleve and use a puller that way, like bearing seperator press plates or puller plates. the key has probably grabed it(along with some rust) this realy sucks. you may end up spliting the case.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

UGH!! You poor bastard!!
I would try to drill several holes in it spaced equally apart. Maybe 4 holes and see if you can't fish it out that way.
And I thought I was the only one that had that kind of luck.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

yup bob may be on to something, use a small b it, dont break it and let the steel outer sleve guide it away from the crank. 2 or 3 should do it, but dont break the bit...
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

The steel sleeve is for the seal to seal against, see if you can heat it & get it to slide off the aluminum part of the pulley. With luck, the aluminum part will just slide off, if not, see if you can crack it at the woodruff key slot & remove it that way.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

What part of California are you in?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

What I'd do.

Find a heavy washer the diameter of the steel ring. Screw the bolt all the way into the crank. Find a piece of 3/4"x1/8" flat stock then cut two small pieces. Tack the two small pieces to the edge of the washer. Put the washer in front of head of the bolt and then tack the two 1/8" pieces to the steel ring.

Find, make or grind a wrench that will slip between the two 1/8" strips and back the bolt out of the crank up against the inside of the washer pulling the ring. Maybe apply a little heat to the broken piece while doing this.

Also, maybe first pack part of a wet paper towel around the gap/case before tacking.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

Bob Brugge wrote:
UGH!! You poor bastard!!
I would try to drill several holes in it spaced equally apart. Maybe 4 holes and see if you can't fish it out that way.
And I thought I was the only one that had that kind of luck.

I would add that you don't have to use the recommended drill size with small taps. You can go a bit bigger and shoot for about 50% threads because the steel threads on the screw will be a lot stronger than the aluminum threads in the hub. It will really help prevent breaking a tap off in a hole. Oh, and be sure not to bottom out the tap.

One example is the delicate 4-40 tap can be drilled with a 3/32 drill or even a #41. The 3/32 will give you 56% threads and the #40 will leave you with 43% threads. I use the #41 for attaching electronic components to heat sinks in some cases. That gives a 49% thread. A #43 drill is generally recommended, which gives 70% thread but makes it a lot easier to break a 4-40 tap.

Calculate thread percentage based on major diameter, threads per inch, and hole size.

Screw size chart giving major and minor diameters for standard screws.

Drill size chart for number letter and fractional drills.
Michael951
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

Im going to elongate the sleeve with several same diameter washers, then ill slip a bigger washer over those and weld that. Then ill just get a pulley puller to remove the sleeve. I can't do it now only because i need to elongate the sleeve in order to fit the puller and it needs something to grab onto. Hopefully it should work!

On a side note.... i did drill out holes but it didn't work (insert tears if sadness)

Thank you guys for all the help!! You've given me excellent ideas!
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

Unrelated question, if your case is already tapped for a full-flow fitting, why are you running a filter pump combo?
Michael951
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

I just bought the motor, use to be for a dune buggy and I'm converting it to street use, I have a full flow filter/cooler/fan ready to install. Cool
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

I see red RTV where there really should not be any - makes me think that I'd split the case.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I see red RTV where there really should not be any - makes me think that I'd split the case.

Likely because someone was being overly cautious and used RTV to seal the sand seal sleeve to the block or was trying to stop a leak was happening at the sand seal. I'm not really seeing evidence of a persistant leak so I think it was someone just being cautious.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Michael951
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

I got it out but I slightly cut into the crank with my drill, one long groove, will that cause a leak? Could I use a small amount of jb weld to fill it in and sand that part smooth?
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What the heak did I do?!?! Reply with quote

Michael951 wrote:
I got it out but I slightly cut into the crank with my drill, one long groove, will that cause a leak? Could I use a small amount of jb weld to fill it in and sand that part smooth?

can you post a picture of it? if you drag your finger nail over it does it catch?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: