Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLFVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

My friends from Argentina were rearended by a Semi 2 days ago in Arizona entering from Gallop New Mexico. They were traveling to Alaska but now are trying to pick up the pieces. My heart goes out to them as this is exactly what happened to Richard and I about 15 years ago when the Dragbus was Totaled. My friend are all right thanx to their seatbelts. Looking for any and all help to keep their dream on the road. Will post more when I find more out. They have a video with English subtitle on Facebook, please check it out.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=144614101903...=typeahead

My friend and I met them as we too traveled north from South America to the US in a Brazilian VW Kombi. FB Kombi Wasi. We crossed from Columbia to Panama together sharing a shipping container. They are sweet and beautiful people and I am hopping the VW comunity will shower them with love

Please share with anyone who may be able to help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Hit by a truck and rolled, the seat belts and the bus did it's job keeping them alive, let alone seemingly uninjured.
Hope they can get right with the trucker's insurance. I'd be talking to the cops on pressing charges of reckless endangerment and getting in touch with the Arizona Insurance Commissioner about the not hearing anything from the trucker's insurance co.
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

I feel very sorry for them.

They will need a replacement vehicle, that one can't be fixed in a reasonable $$ and time in my opinion.
At least in US there will be better resources / facilities solve the car problem than crashing in the middle of nowhere south of the border.

Glad to hear they walked scot free from the accident, kombis and car crashes don't go too well.

Fuerza a los hermanos...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
Hit by a truck and rolled, the seat belts and the bus did it's job keeping them alive, let alone seemingly uninjured.
Hope they can get right with the trucker's insurance. I'd be talking to the cops on pressing charges of reckless endangerment and getting in touch with the Arizona Insurance Commissioner about the not hearing anything from the trucker's insurance co.

Uh.....how do you know its not THEIR fault?

Regardless of the fact that most state laws automatically "assume" fault on the one hitting the rear of the car.....I see cars rear ended by semi's about once a month....because they changed lanes in front of the semi and did not leave room for the possibility that the car in front of THEM would put their brakes on.

That...and traving painfully slow in the left lane.....I see cars get hit on a regular basis.

I feel for these people. Its highly possible it is all the truckers fault.

Its also highly possible its their fault. YOU....just do not know.

Also in this day and age.....more and more trucks rolling with cameras. I havs seen more than one friend of mine with a gopro on thier front glass get out of a rear ending ticket because of video supplied in traffic court. That is why I roll with one on all highway trips now.

Hope they get it,worked out....but I would not jujp to conclusions in anyone's favor. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PLFVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

The truck driver admitted fault to the police officer. Said he was blinded by the sun and did not see them. So they are covered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

This totally sucks - I feel so bad for them. They were very lucky to not be injured.

in Latin America the roads and the drivers are scary. Less rules and the roads aren't as well designed. But in the US and Canada people drive much faster, that in itself is a risk to a slow kombi.

Very sad indeed. Crying or Very sad
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

PLFVW wrote:
The truck driver admitted fault to the police officer. Said he was blinded by the sun and did not see them. So they are covered.

That part is cool to hear! Still sad. Long way from home. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Ok this should be really simple. I hope the mods will keep the idiotic statements out of here so that it can be a productive thread.

First off whats the problem? Did they get the drivers info. License, plate and insurance carrier - company he works for?

If so then a simple call to the carrier will confirm an opened claim on his vehicle.

What kind of insurance do these folks have? Even basic coverage will assist you with subrogation on the others (at fault) carrier.

None of this is rocket science to lets state the issues and resolutions.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

if they have coverage from their home country, then they might not get a whole lot of help. Also: if they did not plan on staying in hotels the next couple of days, flying back home trip costs, etc, they could be thousands of dollars in the hole before this is transacted. storage fees for their stuff can go up quickly as well.

I can see all kinds of problems. I have seen what happens when you have an accident a country or 5 away. They likely need a short term storage solution for their stuff. a lawyer, etc

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

I think the help they need from the Samba is the reach out of a place to stay and storage while they sort out the legals.

The vehicle, of course, is beyond economical repair.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

First off whats the problem? Did they get the drivers info. License, plate and insurance carrier - company he works for?

If so then a simple call to the carrier will confirm an opened claim on his vehicle.

What kind of insurance do these folks have? Even basic coverage will assist you with subrogation on the others (at fault) carrier.

I watched the video on FB and the subtitles said they are just over the border in New Mexico, They need a lawyer that can practice in Arizona where the accident happened and who speaks spanish if possible

They need a place to stay (they are at a motel right now)

They did get the drivers insurance info but are unable to contact them and have not heard from them. They do have their own insurance.

I suppose they are not sure how to navigate the legal aspects and get the police report and get their insurance company to contact the trucks insurance company, etc.
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Oh man this sucks... We feel so bad for them. As Ben said, so many places they went through are pretty bad for driving, but the US is not really one of them.. and of course that's where stuff like this happens. So sad.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I watched the video on FB and the subtitles said they are just over the border in New Mexico, They need a lawyer that can practice in Arizona where the accident happened and who speaks spanish if possible

They need a place to stay (they are at a motel right now)

They did get the drivers insurance info but are unable to contact them and have not heard from them. They do have their own insurance.

I suppose they are not sure how to navigate the legal aspects and get the police report and get their insurance company to contact the trucks insurance company, etc.

I watched most as well and what I got was their insurance won't pay as it was another's fault. Limited Liability Insurance.

Why do they need a lawyer after just two days? Insurance companies take their sweet time to call.

None of this is making sense. Do they have any coverage on their vehicle? Im assuming they should of been required to to drive in the states with whatever visa they have?

So the OP needs to elaborate a bit more. Why would I help? How can I with limited info? Is this a boo hoo thread or will someone post something tangible?

Sounds like they need someone fluent in Spanish to call dudes insurance and see whats up is all? Rolling Eyes

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

https://www.gofundme.com/w5yu4e-kombiando-por-amer...6dcf8fc5a1

If anyone does wish to help here is a link in which you can do so.

It's not compulsory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
https://www.gofundme.com/w5yu4e-kombiando-por-amer...6dcf8fc5a1

If anyone does wish to help here is a link in which you can do so.

It's not compulsory.

Why should anyone help? I asked some basic questions above about their situation with no response except you posting a gofundme link?

Do they need $ for what? A new bus, a place to stay, a lawyer ???

I have a perfectly good 74 bus Im restoring in my garage. I have to work lots of hours to pay for my house, power, food four kids - that kind of shit. Yet that poor bus sits waiting to be finished.

Can you guys please send me $$ to pay for Stuart to finish it for me? This bus may never get done without your help.

Christ Sake WTF Rolling Eyes Someone please take the time to explain the issue if any with these people before holding out the beggar can.

Help me help you!

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

CALL RON BELL!!!

Link

HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Why should anyone help? I asked some basic questions above about their situation with no response except you posting a gofundme link?

Sorry Jason, I don't have the answers to you Qs so I can help with that. To be honest I'm not really following their story all that closely as I'm snowed under with work. But for the sake of VW comradery I shared the link. VW Logo

I know they are far from home and in need of help so I sent them some coin for a couple nights in a motel or whatever they want to spend it on. It's not compulsory, like I said, but perhaps there are some people who are in a position to help and would like to do so.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Sorry Jason, I don't have the answers to you Qs so I can help with that. To be honest I'm not really following their story all that closely as I'm snowed under with work. But for the sake of VW comradery I shared the link. VW Logo

I know they are far from home and in need of help so I sent them some coin for a couple nights in a motel or whatever they want to spend it on. It's not compulsory, like I said, but perhaps there are some people who are in a position to help and would like to do so.

I hear you. But without answers I kinda think the situation is stupid. I work in the insurance industry as a vendor. I use insurance companies like ATM's for the company I work for. It's not rocket science to open a claim and most have on staff habla espanol. So even if they didn't cover their ass right on policy I'm sure the trucker did. So they may not get 100% of what they want but 80% is better than nothing and a B- for the experience.

So I'm just guessing here but I support my own stupid daily. I'm not in the habit of reinforcing someone else's stupid by throwing $ at them. So until I get a clue on what their deal is - it's all stupid to me. Confused

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombiando Bus Rearended by a Semi in AZ from Argentina Reply with quote

Poor planning on their part if they didn't have an emergency contingency for getting home. I'm a little with Notchboy on this one. You had a dream, your dream got crushed (literally), you chalk it up to "life's a bitch" and go home to try again some other day. Not ask people to give up their hard earned coin so you can continue living YOUR dream. My job slowed down this past fall leaving me somewhat short on cash so I have had to put off the next steps of my restoration indefinitely. I'll have to give it some time, reassess in a few years and take it from there. I don't start a gofundme account.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: