Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Muffler options for notch
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Muffler options for notch Reply with quote

I have dual QP's on my notch but it is cracking in the center and i want to replace it with something else. however i seem to be running into a snag a very few companies are offering aftermarket exhuast for type 3's.The car already has the header but what is a good choice for a muffler other than a straight stinger and a QP. i'm looking for something that sounds throaty under acceleration but quiet at cruise.I may have to have something made but i thought i'd ask.Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SquareD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Over-the-Top Exhaust system offered by ISPwest.

http://www.vwispwest.com/2.html

It should fit a Notch just as well as a Square or a Fasty. I have the original Kymco, and it is a tight fit, but ISP is using a smaller muffler, so it should fit a little easier. I have not fired mine yet, but I have heard that it sounds fine.

Good luck,

Dennis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kenaneu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler options for notch Reply with quote

baja5 wrote:
I have dual QP's on my notch but it is cracking in the center and i want to replace it with something else.

Hehehe - I went through this about 4 times while looking for a suitable replacement. Finally I had a neighbor who is a welder put some steel plates accross the top and bottom of the joint area, and this slowed the cracking. Bottom line, though, the DQP's fall apart and just look ugly too.

SquareD's recommendation seems to be the best - I just bought the over the top system for my new motor, and it's great. You might want to consider spending the extra $ for the ceramic coated version as well, as it looks much nicer than a rusty QP. You will need both the header and muffler, however, as the QP headers will not work with the over the top muffler.

If the OTT setup is more than you want to spend, then you can always go with one of the numerous versions of the 4-tip "monza" type exhausts. Only do this if you have a stock or close to stock engine, however, as they really don't have a ton of flow.

Anyhow, good luck!

... and get the OTT Very Happy
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler options for notch Reply with quote

baja5 wrote:
I have dual QP's on my notch but it is cracking in the center<snip>

Are you using the clamps on both sides?

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

Southern Oregon VW Club -- http://www.sovw.org

Oregon VW Forum -- http://www.oregonvw.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. does anyone have a picture of the set up. I remember someone posting one a few weeks ago but i cant find it. I checked the website but they didnt show it. thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a tab, with a hole on each muffler. The early, or off-brand manufactured dual QP may not have had these.

Basically there is a clamp around one of the header tubing which is bolted to these tabs. New, they're typically zinc or chrome plated. The profile looks like the letter "d" (lowercase).

If the tabs are on your mufflers, the rest can be bought at a hardware store. If you're missing the tabs, then you could weld them on?

I'll look for pics.

Current stock: '57 Panel Bus, '63 Rat Notch, '64 Baja, '66 Variant, '67 Convertible Ghia, '68 Squareback, '69 Squareback, '69 Fastback

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kenaneu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler options for notch Reply with quote

Notched wrote:

Ha - these clamps help a bit... I used them on every DQP setup I had, and but over time (+/- 1 year or so), the muffler ALWAYS cracked in the middle.

Maybe it's just the crappy roads here, but the DQP just isn't a great setup, and will almost always eventually break. Better to just go with a better designed muffler/header system.
Notched
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler options for notch Reply with quote

Kenaneu wrote:
Notched wrote:

Ha - these clamps help a bit... I used them on every DQP setup I had, and but over time (+/- 1 year or so), the muffler ALWAYS cracked in the middle.

I agree. It's not a very good design.

karfer67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could always go with a A-1 like i have. although because of the size of the muffler you will have to bend the appron a bit to get it to fit. but the sound is wayyyyy worth it.
Rusted Rockers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="karfer67"]could always go with a A-1 like i have. although because of the size of the muffler you will have to bend the appron a bit to get it to fit. but the sound is wayyyyy worth it.[/quote] I have to agree with karfer67 with the A-1 I have one but I'm going to sell it my ghia's way to low for it...
wolfman's brother
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to post some pics of the ispwest OTT exhaust that's on mt RHD notch in the T3 gallery for ya. I've been told by lots of folks that this is the best sounding T3 exhaust they've heard in a while,I even have a couple small leaks because I need to swap my heat boxes for jtubes since I won't drive it during cold months anyway(got a bad rightside box)

I have a kymco exhaust on my 1835 and it doesn't sound as nice I don't think,this OTT is on a stock motor taboot.

my only problem at 1st was the tip would bang against the apron when you started the car and let it warm up and sounded like a rod knocking so I grabbed the corner of the apron and pulled toward me until I felt it give a little and problem solved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics, that system looks real nice.
wolfman's brother
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the ceramic coated version,well worth the extra money to have them go ahead and do it. I meant to call out there and order my tubes today but the day got away from me at work and I forgot Mad

so alex or anthony,if you see this can you get this rolling for me? you got my CC# memorized by now don't ya? Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: