Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pulling the head
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugman_Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Pulling the head Reply with quote

I think I have a burnt valve. Can you pull the head with it still in the car? I really don't wanna drop the motor out since I don't really have a good place to do that. I hate gravel driveways! Evil or Very Mad

http://community.webshots.com/user/ihcguy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gravel driveways are the best, no oil stains!
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A T-3 head can be pulled in the car, but it is a BIG PITA (pain in the ass). If all you have is a gravel driveway, get s sheet of cheap plywood. A 4x8 sheet gives you a big work area. Just watch for the splinters in your butt or you will have a PITA.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
A T-3 head can be pulled in the car, but it is a BIG PITA (pain in the ass). If all you have is a gravel driveway, get s sheet of cheap plywood. A 4x8 sheet gives you a big work area. Just watch for the splinters in your butt or you will have a PITA.

or a large piece of thick cardboard -- furniture boxes are usually the best...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugman_Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyBoyGomes wrote:
gravel driveways are the best, no oil stains!

That is their only benefit that I can see. I've had to work on rigs in gravel so much I'm sick of it really. Hope to have a shop someday.

Russ Wolfe wrote:
A T-3 head can be pulled in the car, but it is a BIG PITA (pain in the ass).

Yeah it looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and pull out the motor. Before I do though I'm gonna adjust the valves and check the pushrods. Hopefully I just have a bent pushrod. If it's the head I'm gonna just scream. Evil or Very Mad What's the easiest proceedure for doing the valves in a type 3? I've only done it in my Baja before and it's been a while.

But in all honesty, I've had this car for going on 6 months now, and have only been able to drive it for one month. I'm getting tired of fixing it and am starting to wonder if my money is best spent on my Scout. I got it because I knew it should have been dependable. If I'd wanted to work on a rig this much I'd have bought a chebby. Laughing

This is quickly becoming not fun anymore. Sad

http://community.webshots.com/user/ihcguy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugman_Jeff wrote:
What's the easiest proceedure for doing the valves in a type 3? I've only done it in my Baja before and it's been a while.

But in all honesty, I've had this car for going on 6 months now, and have only been able to drive it for one month. I'm getting tired of fixing it and am starting to wonder if my money is best spent on my Scout. I got it because I knew it should have been dependable. If I'd wanted to work on a rig this much I'd have bought a chebby. Laughing

This is quickly becoming not fun anymore. Sad

Well, this is some of the stuff you run into when you own a 34+ year old car that probably hasn't had the regular maintenance that it should have gotten. Rolling Eyes The worst cars seem to be those that have sat for 10+ years, because the PO didn't do anything to the car prior to parking it. Those seem to need the most work (brakes, tune up, etc...)
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Missouri driveway (gravel Rolling Eyes ) and whenever I pull an engine I just use a sheet of plywood. Just recently I replaced the head on my car with the engine still in the vehicle and it wasn't too difficult, removing the tin and exhaust was kind of a PITA though.
Samba Member #4862
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 15 years, my wife let me spring for concrete in part of our rural driveway.
I have pulled VW engines, without even a floor jack and have put them back without one too. A 2x6 and a concrete block for a fulcrum, with the car sitting on a stack of tires.

notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:

or a large piece of thick cardboard -- furniture boxes are usually the best...

That's what I've called a "Mexican Creeper" for years. (no offense intended to anyone)

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
negawsklov17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in the same boat jeff, but i think my rings might be toast. guess i gotta pull the engine also. oh well, it'll be the first time i'll have done it on my car Smile
Kenaneu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, don't be afraid to pull the motor. It's really not that hard or time consuming, and it's WAY better than doing major jobs UNDER the car.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a case of beer bet, One day my brother and I pulled an engine and replaced it in a '67 Bug in 15 minutes. That was down the road, burning gas.
T-3's are not that much harder.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, on my old 76 bug I pulled the engine, replaced the clutch, and put it back in, in about 30 minutes. I've dropped a t-3 with AT engine and re-installed it in 20 minutes, but it still needed some more parts to fire up that the customer hadn't dropped off yet. Rolling Eyes I've gotten to the point that if it's easier to fix it while it's out, it's coming out. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
negawsklov17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, even quicker on this beast:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

negawsklov17 wrote:
hehe, even quicker on this beast:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nahhh Very Happy Baja's are acutally the easiest. Don't even have to jack them up, and you don't have to mess with the roll cage.
I used to use a Baja as an engine test stand. 4 bolts, bing, bang, all done.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: