Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanding question
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Sanding question Reply with quote

Hey guys! Just wondering what sandpaper I should be doing to get out minor small scratches from my first coat of paint. I guess its from the primer sanding. It looked good but I guess there were some areas I didn't go over enough. Anyway its a single stage paint and was thinking 600 grit wet. I have some 1200 grit laying around but I think that would be too fine. I will be doing one more coat but could do 2 if need be.
Thanks!
jps1145
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit late now, but it's always a good idea to spay a fog of black primer over your grey primer (or visa versa) then do some fine finish sanding. The darker color paint dust will fall into any deeper sanding scratches to locate them before you shoot the top coat. You may be forced to sand the paint now with the heaver sand paper to get the scratch out. I'm not sure that you can apply any spot filler at this point.
-John
My Baja
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mario J G
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try 800 grit to color sand
Zwitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Color sanding Reply with quote

OK, you have to think that the scratches you are going to remove were created by using a rough grit of sandpaper in the prep stages.
So, why would you wish to use a rough colorsanding paper for the finsihing step? 600 is fast, but a bit course when it comes to repolishing the paint back to a shine.

I have 30+ years in the Autobody trade, and I would suggest, depending on the texture you have in the colorcoat, to BEGIN with 1200, sand down PART WAY, then move to 1500 to complete the sanding process.
You can then use a buffer to restore the shine with relative ease.

If you REALY want a slick finish. PPG makes a "dry guide coat" product, a charcoal power of sorts.
Sand your car lightly with 1200 to remove the shine, dry the car, rub on the guide coat, then start sanding again.(1500) You'd be amazed at all the orangepeel you'll find still on your "perfectly sanded flat" paint job.
Being a powder, there's no lasting problem from the guidecoat. It can be removed with carwash soap.

If you have LOTS of patience, (and paint), 2000 grit makes polishing the paint a breeze!
But you'll wear out a ton'o sandpaper, empty your childs college funds buying enough, and sand for a l o n g time if you begin with this grit.
2000 is more for fine finishing and for places where you cannot get a buffer into and need to polish by hand.

A bit technical a reply, I know, but it's what has worked for me.
Steve
"Try it, you'll like it"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: