Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sandblast a 74 beetle...
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
quattlebum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: sandblast a 74 beetle... Reply with quote

I'm looking into getting my SB sandblasted down so I can see what damage I really have to get fixed. there's been some bondo work done on it from the PO and I know there are some rust spots... I want to see if I can get it sandblasted down and work may way up from that... bad idea or good idea? comments? recommendations?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70fasty
ITMC Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

err the only thing with sandblasting is it takes off too much, and you dont want to strip the car to baremetal because then you will have to put alot of coats of primer back on it, you should probably just block sand it yourself, you will be able to notice the bondo without going all the way through, and if you have the money i guess you can go all the way down to bare metal, though its not really needed

ITMC
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quattlebum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, I can't decide what to do... there's some major rust/bondo issues behind both the rear quarter windows that the main issue, I don't know if I should sand it down and dig out the bondo/rust and weld or what... not too experienced in the body work dept... theres a little bubbling in the bottom of my doors but those would be easy to fix/replace, I don't know about the panel behind the quarter windows, seems like a bomb waiting to go off...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a quick fairly effective way to find rust and bondo is to get a big magnet, where it doesnt stick there is one of the two
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quattlebum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the majority of the rust and bondo i can see... i heard about using the magnet and I just happen to have an industrial one... anyone had to replace or repair rust under the rear quarter panel windows? what'd u do?
70fasty
ITMC Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say your best bet is to take the windows out and then use a dremel tool and carefully cut it all out, if you dont have a dremel any regular air tool with the right cutting tip should work and you can cut it out, then if you have acces to welding, put some new metal in there

ITMC
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rastamasta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just had my 65 beetle sand blasted and had everything down to the bear metal to see the extent of damage on the body from rust.

i don't think theres anything wrong by doing this if your able to put the time and effort of putting primer several times on the car like i do
quattlebum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good advice... i've got lots to do... now just got to do it...
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, DON'T use the search button, because then you might find one of the bazillion old threads where this subject has already been beat to death. Thanks!
quattlebum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on your suggestion I won't use the search, which I already did before I posted... but since you told me not to, I won't... thank you...
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Whatever you do, DON'T use the search button, because then you might find one of the bazillion old threads where this subject has already been beat to death. Thanks!

Very Happy

oldskool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ever consider media (soda or walnut shell) blasting the car?
quattlebum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i haven't... I'll look into the costing of that as well...
I found a local place that'll do the sand for 250 for the whole car...
but might just do the sanding down myself and go slowly... not for sure...
too many decisions...
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandblasting body panels sucks.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55reasons wrote:

are you on crack? sandblasting is the best way to strip a car if you have the money to do it. not only does it strip the car pretty fast, it also etches the metal which promotes better adhesion. i say, unless it has more than 3 or 4 layers of paint, dont sandblast it. you should be able to sand down to a good base without alot of effort. get a DA and some 80 grit and you're good to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you searched and read old threads on this subject and you still have a question this broad?

Quote:
bad idea or good idea? comments? recommendations

Wowsers!
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude 250 for the whole car is a good deal! Just have them stay away from any flat panel so they don't warp it. You can take those down to bare metal with a DA easy anyway.

I would gladly pay $250 to get my bug blasted clean as long as they didn't mess it up.
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
55reasons wrote:

are you on crack? sandblasting is the best way to strip a car if you have the money to do it. not only does it strip the car pretty fast, it also etches the metal which promotes better adhesion. i say, unless it has more than 3 or 4 layers of paint, dont sandblast it. you should be able to sand down to a good base without alot of effort. get a DA and some 80 grit and you're good to go.

Nope. No crack lately.
And I actually feel that sandblasting is the worst way to strip a car. And it's not about money because in the long run it's the CHEAPEST way to do it.

Walnut shell is my preference, as it strips the car clean without heating, warping, or blowing through the metal.

I'm assuming that you have never walnut shelled a car based on your statements.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: