Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop outs and the VW Classic ?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Pop outs and the VW Classic ? Reply with quote

I've been away for quite some time now, since i've been back home I've spent a couple hours a week trying to get my car together enough for the classic. Just noodling an hour here and there.

The only rubber left that isnt new is my popouts, i have seals both inner and outer, but have yet to attempt to take them apart.

Is this as simple as it looks or is it a little tricky?

I ask cuz my og's arent in the worst condition, but are bad enough to be replaced, but i can live with it till after the classic, as i dont intend to win anything i just want to hang w/ my car.

odds and ends left to go, but im scramblin.

cya @ the classic,
rob
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not that hard to replace, I suggest you soak any screws with some penetrating oil over night to loosen them.
Once you have the window apart I suggest you do a deep cleaning of the frame and parts if needed.
Put the inner rubber around the glass then put the frame around it, use some silicon spray it makes it slide together real nice.
The outer piece will take alittle patience, look for the seam and put them in the same place on both sides (I don't know were is correct but I put mine in the middle of the hinge area) If you lay them out in the sun they work alittle better.
To put it in I use a hard plastic tool designed for window repairs, but you should be able to make one with a toothbrush or something similar, just shave it down so you can poke the rubber in.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zarana-X
Samba Dreadnok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The frames are a bitch to get apart if the screws are stuck. If the inner seals are pretty good, I'd let them be.
The outer seal isn't too bad, just time consuming. I used WD-40 and a tool made from a sharpened popsicle stick to put them in.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please dont forget my bumper or good original seat material as promised in our deal. Jack or Everett and Im sure others that know me at the Classic will be more than happy to take my bumper back and or the rear seat material as per our deal. Or $75 value for the bumper as I stated the day I brought it to your house. Thanks again, let me know.

Jason Weigel

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: